Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe *zipppppp*
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    Hi Nick, I second Rug's recommendation for Algonquin Park. It is about 300km north of Toronto's Airport. It is one of my favourite places to camp in Ontario.

Check out Algonquin Outfitters for any equipment rental needs you may have. I've never rented from them personally, however I see people in their canoes regularly in the park.

I go with a group of guys in the first few weeks of May to go trout fishing every year. Generally that is just before the bugs begin to eat people. If you can't go before the bugs get bad, I'd go anytime in September or October and you should be able to expect temperatures well above 10°C at night (worst case).

You can get maps of the park from Ontario Parks website.

Cheers
    Stevicide

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Good recommendations above. I think it depends on the landscape you desire, your comfort level in a canoe, and how much effort you want to expend getting there. You'd probably fly into Toronto, so I'll limit this to Ontario.

There are three really big canoeing parks in Ontario--Algonquin, Quetico, and Wabakimi. Algonquin: beautiful, the canoeist's idealized landscape, great hanging trees, can rent a car from Toronto, but proximity to Toronto means you'll see other people. Quetico, also beautiful, farther from major centres, you'll have to get a connecting flight to Thunder Bay and then rent a car, you'll still see people, but fewer. Wabakimi, harder to get to, farther from Thunder Bay, more boreal landscape (versus mixed forest in Algonquin and Quetico, so might be harder to find the perfect trees sometimes), you'll see very few people at all.

If you youtube those names, you'll see what it's all about. And check websites like outdoor adventure canada and canadian canoe routes to get advice.

And that's just the parks. (Parks = fees and bothersome rules, but usually mean outfitters to rent a canoe from!) If you look at any map of Canada that shows the Canadian Shield, that's canoe country. Some of my best hikes and fishing and camping have been on simple crown land. A buddy of mine tells me northern Saskatchewan is awesome. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I was up in the Northland this summer near Hudson's Bay
    Where were you, in Radisson?

Two years ago I was up there and rode the Trans Taiga into central Quebec. It was 750km from the nearest town, furthest you can get from civilization by road anywhere in North America.

Beautiful up there. Labor Day week and the weather was great and no bugs!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Like someone else said if you get more soecific about landscape, river, lake , mountains etc then we can narrow it down. While your on you tube check out the Skeena, Stakine, Athabaska, Saskachawan rivers. Also check out Nahanni park ( kind of remote). Algonquin is a good choice ,ease of getting there. Anyway.

bill

PS; i can't believe i forgot to mention Bowron Park consistently named one of the top canoe parks in North America. 75 miles, portages, lakes mountains etc,,check out you tube and also this
    http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/comm...on+park#p39262
    Last edited by mbiraman; 01-14-2011 at 17:34.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Basically, we went from Quebec City to Lac Saint-Jean, then to Lac Chibougamamu (oooh, did we have fun saying that one! ), then on to Hudson's Bay. Up the west side of the Bay for what seemed like a thousand miles until we ran out of road. Along the Bay is where we met the Indian Natives. We were there scouting a kayak trip, so we were following the waterways as best we could by road and talking to as many people as would talk to us. Learned some good curse words on that trip!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Bowron Lakes Provincial Park, BC. Did a week long canoe trip through the lakes (about 140km). It's one of the few places in the world where you start where you finish. It is regulated though so if interested you may want to look into it early. They only allow so many out per day. I'd love to do it in my kayak next time.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    NickJ, you may wish to consider the Bowron Lakes circuit in BC. It is easily accessible (6 to 7 hours drive on paved roads from Vancouver), and there are outfitters that will equip you with everything you need. You can choose to rent equipment and do the trip on your own, or take a guided trip.

The circuit is composed of six lakes covering about 115 km, and can be done in s to 7 days. There is ample shore camping including some organized sites. Reservations are basically required, as the Provincial Park restricts the number of conoes that go out daily so as to avoid congestion. Most people of moderate canoeing skill should be able to do the circuit without any difficulties. Kayaks are also permitted. There are no power boats anywhere on the circuit by park Regulation.

On the trip, if you get a fishing license you can eat fresh rainbow and cutthroat trout daily, see plenty of moose and deer, and possibly some grizzlies, eagles, otters, etc. it is truly an amazing place. Bugs are present, but no where what you would experience in Northern Ontario.

Another option close to Vancouver is the Powell lakes circuit. They are located near Powell River, just 4 hours north of Vancouver. There are 8 lakes and 5 portages over 57 km. While not as demanding as the Bowron lakes, they also do not require the same time commitment. As with the Bowron Lakes, there are plenty of locals to rent equipment from. During summer the area has beautiful weather, with temps in the low to mid 20's C, and nice, cool evenings. About the only bugs are mozzies.
    Last edited by Oxblood; 02-17-2011 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post

Two years ago I was up there and rode the Trans Taiga into central Quebec. It was 750km from the nearest town, furthest you can get from civilization by road anywhere in North America.

Beautiful up there. Labor Day week and the weather was great and no bugs!!
    Good to hear. I'm in Northern Ontario, and I've got a week long trip planned up there this summer.

OP: I'm on the shore of Lake Superior, and I'm not sure the length of your stay but I'd be willing to take you out for a weekend or two, and/or give you some pointers to good areas. We have Lake Superior Provincial Park not too far away, with pleanty of day and multi-day hiking trails, as well as pleanty of Crown Land to camp on.

I know this thread has been buried for a while, but I'm sure you're still planning your trip and I thought I'd extend my help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12