Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images

Supension systems

Can someone give a quick explanation (for a newbie) on why whoopie slings are so popoular and what using this system makes it more appealing as say a carabiner and webbing? There is lots of support and discussion on making the whoopie slings but I haven't really found much info on why to use them.
    By the way it's -32c (-25F) here in Edmonton with more snow falling. Not exactly hanging weather!!!

sd

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    weight is one reason, ease of adjustment is another

i just went and weighed my whoopies and my tree straps, they are both 6 feet long so it's an equal comparison

my whoopies weigh 1.2 oz. (7/64 amsteel) and my tree straps (1" webbing from strap works) weigh 6.6 oz. so the weight of straps for your complete suspension system would be quite a bit more than having woopies and straps

i also use whoopies because i don't need any hardware (nothing to lose or break) just a trail stick will work for a marlin spike hitch

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    . . . By the way it's -32c (-25F) here in Edmonton with more snow falling. Not exactly hanging weather!!!

sd
    Good testing for my new Marmot sleeping bag called, Trestles 0
    a -3°F / -19°C and has a -40° survival rating.

Location,
    Location,
    Location,

Don't have woppie slings or maybe even the ability to spell it correctly
    But one day will try them . . .
    . . . maybe I'll just order a set and try them . . .

but by then some one else will like ly answer, your question . . .
    or has . . .

. . . sorry 1st coffee time frame.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There are several reasons for using whoopie slings. Also, their use is not exclusive of carabiners and webbing. To whit, I use webbing tree straps, and attach the adjustable loop of my whoopie slings to carabiners.

Whoopie slings are light in weight. Typically much lighter than the stock suspension that comes with a commercially made hammock. As an example, I use a Hennessey hammock. The stock Hennessey lines are significantly heavier than the whoopie slings.

Another is the ease of adjustment. To adjust a stock Hennessey system there is significant fiddling invloved. Much less with whoopies. I attach the ends, and pull the line through the bury, milk it back, and I am done. No more lashing, then unlashing again if I have to adjust the position of the hammock. With a whoopie, if I have to reposition the hammock slightly, I just feed line back through the bury and into the adjustable loop to lengthen the whoopie, or pull line through to shorten it. I also find it much easier to get that perfect hang with the whoopies.

I also think it is so cool that a 2mm diameter line can support so much weight.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    i also use whoopies because i don't need any hardware (nothing to lose or break) just a trail stick will work for a marlin spike hitch

boot
    Boothill: I'm so glad you wrote that because I am forever losing stuff (at least temporarily) out in the woods (I'm currently waiting for 18 inches of snow to melt so I can recover THREE tent spikes for a tarp I set up! DOH!)

I didn't know sticks would work for a marlin spike hitch! I have dropped my DIY spikes made from gutter nails UMPTEEN times and spent countless hours looking for them. Plus, I'm always worried my gutter spike sticks will damage my hammock or netting while stowed. How big/strong a stick will work for this purpose--diameter-wise I mean? I want to try this but would like some instruction on how to fashion sticks in camp for this purpose. Thanks everyone!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Boothill: I'm so glad you wrote that because I am forever losing stuff (at least temporarily) out in the woods (I'm currently waiting for 18 inches of snow to melt so I can recover THREE tent spikes for a tarp I set up! DOH!)

I didn't know sticks would work for a marlin spike hitch! I have dropped my DIY spikes made from gutter nails UMPTEEN times and spent countless hours looking for them. Plus, I'm always worried my gutter spike sticks will damage my hammock or netting while stowed. How big/strong a stick will work for this purpose--diameter-wise I mean? I want to try this but would like some instruction on how to fashion sticks in camp for this purpose. Thanks everyone!!!
    I've only had to do that once, and all I did was make sure the stick I used couldn't easily be broken by hand. Anything that resists snapping under just the pressure of your grip should resist the compression that the marlin-spike hitch causes.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A downside to your typical whoopie/toggle/tree strap system is that you can easily leave your tree straps and toggles on the tree (been there, done that, on the trail no less).

I like them because they are very light, pack very small, and adjust quickly, not only in terms of sag but distance between trees. This makes it easy to center your hammock under your tarp, quickly and efficiently.

All this makes setup quick with just a little practice. If you choose to go the Marlin Spike Hitch and toggle route, the knot quickly becomes second nature, wrap two trees, MSH, MSH, hang your 1st whoopie loop, hang the second, adjust for sag and location, done.

I had the whoopies on my regular hammock for a couple trips, now I have strap and buckle suspension. The strap system is quicker and easier to deal with for me. It does weigh more but I motorcycle camp so I don't have to carry the weight. I put the whoopies on the wifes hammock and still use the setup, works fine I just prefer the simplicity.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I find it just so cool to hang from cord that is so small yet strong. As already mentioned, they are easily adjusted and provide weight and bulk savings. Because you can splice it, it retains most of its strength compared to using other cordage and tying knots.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    There are several reasons for using whoopie slings. Also, their use is not exclusive of carabiners and webbing. To whit, I use webbing tree straps, and attach the adjustable loop of my whoopie slings to carabiners.

Whoopie slings are light in weight. Typically much lighter than the stock suspension that comes with a commercially made hammock. As an example, I use a Hennessey hammock. The stock Hennessey lines are significantly heavier than the whoopie slings.

Another is the ease of adjustment. To adjust a stock Hennessey system there is significant fiddling invloved. Much less with whoopies. I attach the ends, and pull the line through the bury, milk it back, and I am done. No more lashing, then unlashing again if I have to adjust the position of the hammock. With a whoopie, if I have to reposition the hammock slightly, I just feed line back through the bury and into the adjustable loop to lengthen the whoopie, or pull line through to shorten it. I also find it much easier to get that perfect hang with the whoopies.

I also think it is so cool that a 2mm diameter line can support so much weight.

What he said! When I first received my HH, I went out straight away and hung it up. Then I had to adjust it. And adjust it again. What a pain! First thing I did was ordered Amsteel. I haz bewwy happy now!
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast