DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Video Savage Gulf Cold Weather Hike & Hang

Savage Gulf, TN Cold Weather Hike & Hang Jan 2011

Rayn and I had planned a 4 day 3 night trip to the Big South Fork Recreation Area to test Leigh’s new TQ but a snow storm came through on Monday the day I planned on leaving. Tennessee is not prepared for snow like states in the north. The wife is not comfortable driving in the snow and I could not leave until roads were better in our area. We decided to change our plans to a 3 day 2 nights in the Savage Gulf and in the end it worked out great.

We arrived at the Savage Gulf Ranger Station on Wednesday about 11 am.Fortunately,the ranger station was accessible from a main county road or we would have had issues getting there. We were the only vehicle in the parking lot and were glad to see someone in the ranger station to issue our permit. We had the only permit issued at this station for the 3 days that we were there.

We planned on about an 11 mile loop with a short walk out on Friday morning. The first day the tempurature was in the upper teens while we were hiking. The weather was cloudy and the snow did not stop until Thursday morning. We were hiking through the woods on top of the plateau to our campsite at Dinky Line. This was about 4 miles from the ranger station. We took our time and arrived in time to set up camp, collect firewood, etc. I had a digital thermometer that I lost while setting up camp so we could not record the temperature the first night but guess that the low was around the low teens or possible upper single digits. We had a cheap whistle thermometer that looked to be around 10*.

I had my diy bridge setup and Rayn had a WBBB setup. Both of us were using diy tarps and Leigh’s UQ/TQ combos. Rayn used a 3 Season full length UQ and I used a 3 Season 2/3 UQ with pad under the legs. Both of us used Leigh’s new TQ for top insulation. I started with a base layer of micro fleece but was too warm and ended up the night with boxers, t-shirt, and no socks. I think the combination of using an over cover on the bridge, the UQ made of a heavier dwr material (1.3oz), and a great TQ contributed to a package that worked well together.

Leigh’s new TQ is a hybrid made from climashield and down. The middle section of the TQ is a karo baffle design that worked out very well. The sides are 2 layers of 3.7 combat climashield. The climashield is in the areas of the quilt that are being compressed by the body and where down normally has problems with loft. It insulates better when compressed than down. I could feel it working better than my all down quilt. The design also helps control the down and keeps it over the top of your body. Another unique feature is how the shock cords automatically tuck the sides of quilt for you. This is one of the best features. It allows the TQ to act like a sleeping bag for back sleepers. If you roll around or side sleep you can use it like a regular quilt by loosening the cords. The video shows some of these features in detail

We both slept in late on Thursday morning. After exploring the area and shooting some video we left camp about 11am. We had about 5 miles to cover. The sun was coming out and the clouds were gone. We hiked the Mountain Oak Trail, part of the North Rim Trail, part of the Savage Gulf Loop Trail and a couple connector trails for about 5 miles to camp. Most of these trails had not been hiked since the snowfall. The only tracks were on the animal paths. It was like walking 5 miles on the beach so it was a little slower than normal.

We arrived in camp with just enough time for camp chores. The temp was dropping fast so a good supply of firewood would make or break the night. Rayn had a new Cold Steel Bushman knife that made short order of the firewood chores. It cut and split enough wood for the evening in a very short time. Our water was freezing very quickly so the fire was important for hydration more than anything. We found the digital thermometer when we broke camp so we were able to record accurate temp readings. It was 10* when we turned in for the night. I got up at 1am and the temp was 5*. I got back up at 6:30am the temp was 2* and 99% humidity. It was very cold for us Tennessee boys. My water was in the hammock under my feet and quilt but was frozen solid. Rayn did a better job with keeping his water warm. I slept in micro fleece base layer and no socks. At 6am UQ was still very warm and the TQ was working well. I got out to check temp but camera was too cold at 2*. I jumped back in hammock and put my pants around my feet and down jacket on my chest to help warm the insulation up quicker. I was toasty in a few minutes and it was hard to get back up but wanted to record the temp after camera warmed up.

We decided to pack up and get moving to keep warm. We finished the loop and arrived at the ranger station. We were still the only car in the parking lot other than the rangers.

I know our northern hangers get into much lower temps but this was a learning experience for us. We do not have the opportunity to get out with snow and low temps on a hiking trip very often in TN. It is the little things that matter the most when in the cold. Decisions have to be made quickly and knowing you can count on your hiking partner makes the difference. On our second night we did not even have to talk about what needed to be done in a short amount of time. Thanks to Rayn for going on this adventure.

The videos below show parts of our trip. Part I covers the first day and the last couple minutes show Leigh's new TQ. Part II documents the 2nd day/night and our trip out.

Last edited by hangnout; 01-16-2011 at 09:57.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Images
    Thanks for the great report. I like your idea of the hybrid top quilt and best of all it works well.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Hey Hangout ... good to read of your adventures and see the pictures. Look forward to the videos in another week or so when I can access them.

Mighty fine trip!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I enjoyed both of your Videos . . . Thanks so much for taking the time.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Man it was COLD on Friday morning, I didnt realize how cold until I got out of my hammock hehe....

I almost asked Hangnout if he wouldnt mind packing my gear up while I stayed warm inside the hammock but I thought hitting the ground suddenly with him laughing wouldnt be a good way to start the day

It was a beautiful trip and I am 100% confident in my gear now with such a cold weather test behind us. We learned a few tricks and as Hangnout said earlier it pays to have a camping partner you can count on.

Hope to hang again soon, well try to get 2sticks to go with us next trip.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Great trip report. Great videos. Super quilts!!

Thanks for taking us along
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Winter hanging is awesome. Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip. The idea of using the clamshield and down together
    is great. Lets a person use the best of two worlds.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Great report and vids. Love the hybrid. And the FL UQ has sparked an interest.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    thanks to everyone for the kind words on the trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Hey Hangout ... good to read of your adventures and see the pictures. Look forward to the videos in another week or so when I can access them.

Mighty fine trip!
    Thanks, 2sticks is still working on her blue Jolly Ranchers You may need to contribute to the dentist bill. I want to get back to the Gorge in the Spring.

Sounds like a great trip. The idea of using the clamshield and down together
    is great. Lets a person use the best of two worlds.

fourdog
    Thanks, I really enjoyed reading and viewing the videos of your Minnesota hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast