Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lightest cord

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Thanks for all the response. I'm gonna have to think about this one for a bit. I did contact a couple vendors I found in China, but they want huge minimum quantities. Maybe they can refer me to one of their customers.

This cord is for a specific tarp design I have in mind. I'll probably just use Lashit on the tarp side on my prototype. If I decide to build more of them, I'll just order the larger quantity from China I guess. It's just major overkill, and will be tougher to see.

I'll post again here when I finally decide on what to use.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    You might want to look at the 1.25mm z-line. .55 oz / 50 feet, not reflective but available in Yellow.
    The braided Dacron sheath makes it very manageable but not quite as stiff as no tangle.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml
    --
    John

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Thanks R3l@x

I had found that line too. I'm more interested in black. I only want reflective at night. During the day, I want black, or something a little more stealthy than the bright colors. Maybe I don't want reflective. If I'm going for stealth, that would defeat that at night. hmmmm

I'm going to ponder what to use for awhile. My materials fund is dry until next payday. I ordered a bunch of Cuben on Friday.

While I wait for the next hammock fund infusion, I'm researching what to buy. The biggest problem I'm having is, not everyone lists weights. I think if I settle on black vs yellow, I can make an easy decision. I found some nice 1mm stuff here. He also has the glow in the dark line locks I want. Those are a pain to get in the US. I was going to order some from the UK, now I won't have to.

Thanks again everyone. This forum is very helpful.
    Last edited by hikelite; 01-16-2011 at 18:27.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    My scales say 40g for 20 metres of this in 1mm;

http://www.englishbraids.com/Special...emabraids.html

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    My scales say 40g for 20 metres of this in 1mm;

http://www.englishbraids.com/Special...emabraids.html
    You linked to some of that earlier. Can I get it in the US?

After some math, it looks like the English braids stuff is heavier than the stuff I linked.

I've got a couple weeks until I order anything, so I'll keep searching around. I think I'll abandon the reflective part. I want stealth, so I just want black or dark grey.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You will know where your guylines are in the dark if you have the glow in the dark micro line-loks anyway. I agree, abandon the reflective guyline idea.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You will know where your guylines are in the dark if you have the glow in the dark micro line-loks anyway. I agree, abandon the reflective guyline idea.
    That was my thought exactly. With the glow in the dark line locks, it can still be stealthy. Those things aren't visible from far away like a reflective cord would be. I'll probably end up with the 1mm black stuff.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post pics once I get my new tarp built.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    The difference in weight between the hi tech stuff and everyday (braided) Mason's line for the amount of line you will need is fractions of a gram.

Ditto the comment about the line being weaker than the tarp. If you have hours invested in making a tarp, the last thing you want to tear is the tarp, and the first the cheapo line!!! I've been using the Mason's line for years without any issues, and I've been through some storms. Use tarp tensioners to keep everything taut. Furthermore, in a storm, if the tarp tears, you're history, if the line tears, you might be able to jury rig something with whatever other stuff you carry.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    I understand that a short amount of cord will not yield a significant weight difference. I also appreciate the idea that it's preferable the cord fails rather than the tarp.

I'm using a lot of cord. Maybe the weight difference isn't much, but it can't hurt to use the lightest material I can get. I have to carry it 2665+ miles! If you compare the Zpacks cord with the English Braids cord, the weight difference is double for 50' (~.5 to 1 oz respectively). If I'm using most of 50', it's a difference of 0.5oz. I know 14g isn't a lot, but again, if I'm going for the lightest, might as well use the lightest.

I know it sounds unusual, but assume I'm carrying 100' or more of this cord. The weight will add up.

I'm not worried about ripping the tarp. If that happens, I'll just have to effect a field repair. Thanks for the warning, but I'm confident in my design.

Maybe I will go with the braided fishing line. I'll have to go to Bass Pro shops or someplace and feel it. I'm just not convinced it will serve my needs.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. You guys have brought up some good points. Maybe I'm making the decision harder than it needs to be.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    So far, the best strength to weight ratio I've managed to find is stuff called 'jet line'. It's apparently used for pulling wire through conduits, but the stuff I have is basically a scaled down version of 550 cord. It's a tightly woven kern, with a stranded mantle in the center. It's very small diameter, light, and stupid strong. Most of it has a breaking strength greater than 200lbs. It's also very cheap.

An example of heavy duty jet line. Heavier than most other jetline I've seen, 500lbs.

Smalls

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast