Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images

Double Whoopie Thingee

First off I am an uber noob, so, sorry if this has been covered. I searched and couln't find it.
    Can you use a single line suspension with whoopies made into both ends. Then use two continuous loops (on a gathered end type) prusik to the ridge line and larks head to the hammock. This would allow adjustment closer to either tree via sliding both whoopie loops for ground clearance (stumps rocks etc...). Also, the prusiks could be slid to change the hang angle. Pardon my imprecise description, I'm just getting started.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I understand what your trying to do. I would think it would work, as long as the prusiks don't slide. You would have to use a smaller size diameter rope for the prusik for the best hold. You could try it and let us know the results. Some others with more experience will speak up.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    TBCTX suggested something similar in this thread.

He had this set up at the fall TX hang last year. It was a nice set up... a single line that provided the ridge line for his tarp. He tied two Alpine Butterfly loops into this ridge line to hang his hammock from.

I've toyed with the idea of making a similar setup - single ridge line with alpine butterfly loops - with either a whoopie loop or a UCR set up on each end. If I do try this, it will be with a minimum of 1/8" amsteel.

I'm not sure I'd trust prussic knots or Klemheist knots to hang the hammock from off of the ridge line. I'd be afraid they would slide on the ridge line during the night.
    Last edited by ^shane^; 01-16-2011 at 20:55. Reason: fix link
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    First off I am an uber noob, so, sorry if this has been covered. I searched and couln't find it.
    Can you use a single line suspension with whoopies made into both ends. Then use two continuous loops (on a gathered end type) prusik to the ridge line and larks head to the hammock. This would allow adjustment closer to either tree via sliding both whoopie loops for ground clearance (stumps rocks etc...). Also, the prusiks could be slid to change the hang angle. Pardon my imprecise description, I'm just getting started.
    Greetings MadRacDad

Check out this thread by headchange4u. It details his single line suspension system. All you would need to do is add the adjustable whoopie loops on either end of your amsteel line and you should be good to go.

One note on this, I did try the method you are suggesting and found that I didn't space my whoopie buries far enough apart to give me the amount of sag I needed. Remember that the length of line you use for your prussics effectively changes the overall length of the hammock and thus increases your ridgeline line length.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    Thanks Shane/Brian, again I'm an uber noob so here comes another question?

If I figure out my best hang angle then tie two Alpine Butterflys in my ridge line, could I then larks head the loop in the alpines to my hammock?

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You would need a couple of biners/soft shackles to attach the hammock to the alpine butterfly loops.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Byer Of Maine Amazonas Traveler
    Tarp
    What?
    Insulation
    $0.10 Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Rope and Knots...
    I had a similar idea, only the ridgeline is static and the adjustable part is attached to the hammock. I've detailed it a bit more here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27266

• + New Posts