Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

Speer PeaPod

Speer PolarPod

Still available! Ed just doesn't inject thread anymore.
    Oh sorry I thought the speer peapod was discontinued just as the winter tarp... I think I may have been confused with the SPE
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I was very comfortable last night .... like Temple Grandin.
    Shug
    So thats why I like peapods in winter so much ?
    My own squeeze chute !

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Just up and in and on the coffee.....
    Got down to 1º last night. ................

Very happy ..... no cold butt what so ever!!!! Had very minimal condensation on the pod and none on the HG summer insert. The fleece frost-bib caught it all..........When I rose to write my name in the snow I was almost too hot...........
    I was comfy .... not quite on my usual asym lay and did not feel restricted.
    I am very happy with the warm buttocks!!!!!!

Shug the Snug
    Most impressive indeed, Shug! Toasty at 1° on the very first try pod style! How 'Ya gonna beat it? I'm still amazed you have enough room in there, that WM sleeping bag must be fairly wide. Then again you're not exactly extra-wide. I can only figure that if you are that comfortable at 1°, you could have gotten by it may be five or 10 below, or at a minimum a few degrees lower than last night. So what is the temperature rating on your Franken quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Q1: Do pod users (or sleeping bag pod people) tend to be back sleepers? Seems to me that side sleeping whoud complicate the system - maybe require a pod/bag with greater circumference..................................... ..
    Jim
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    Depends on how much extra you have in the pod with you, the hammock and the hammock width or depth. In my Speer hammock (a fairly wide/deep hammock) I am only able to be comfortable on my side if I am in pretty much full fetal position, with or without the pod. And if I try to get an full fetal position in the Speer, I usually don't have enough room if using the Peapod. I am either compressing the down on the sides, or even popping the pod open. So for me, Speer hammock plus Speer Peapod pretty much means back sleeping. At the other extreme, using my Claytor no net which is neither wide nor deep, I can lay on my side either with legs straight (and usually be comfortable enough) or in full fetal, and have plenty of room. I've slept that way more than one cold night, with the pod rotated so that I have a tiny breathing vent just an inch or less from my mouth, out to the side. My head, neck and shoulders have several inches of down loft laying right down on them. As does pretty much the rest of my body. Super warm and comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    kind of funny about the peapod experiment. Last weekend I took hamhocker out and we tried an old Speer peapod on the hammock (treklight double) she slept in. It was tight when wrapped around her. Almost to the point of not being able to velcro it shut but we managed. Wish I had taken a picture of her in it. She had a 3/4 UQ on the bottom and my Marmot bag opened up as a TQ. I may try it on a different hammock and see how well it works
    Ewker, just curious, was she warm? A marmot sleeping bag (as opposed to just a top quilt) would be fairly big, combined with the under quilt and how thick it might be, and most of all depending on what hammock was being used, things might get pretty dang tight allright. I can see where it might be difficult to close.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Awesome DIY of the Pea Pod. Do you still feel while laying in the Pea Pod that you can still lay ASYM to get that flat lay, or do you have to lay more in line with the hammock because the Pod is constricting. That has always been my ? / concern with the pod.
    At least when using the Speer Peapod, I have always been able to lay fully diagonal without any problem at all. But this might vary if trying to use it with a huge hammock, though I think the main problem even there would just be getting the pod closed. Can't speak for DIY or bag/pod approaches.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for making me smile, Shug. I get too claustrophobic for the pod. I'll stick with my quilts.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

Well Shug ... just to let you know that Chip (carved by our own Kenneth Crump) loved the video!
    Seen here before we left Haining for Anji. He would have given it a big thumbs up ... but he's had a problem getting his hands out of his pockets on this trip!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    So thats why I like peapods in winter so much ?
    My own squeeze chute !
    fourdog
    www.fourdog.com
    I was thinking that all last night!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Most impressive indeed, Shug! Toasty at 1° on the very first try pod style! How 'Ya gonna beat it? I'm still amazed you have enough room in there, that WM sleeping bag must be fairly wide. Then again you're not exactly extra-wide. I can only figure that if you are that comfortable at 1°, you could have gotten by it may be five or 10 below, or at a minimum a few degrees lower than last night. So what is the temperature rating on your Franken quilt?
    Thankee BB. Frankenquilt is good to around 30º to 25º.

Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    Thanks for making me smile, Shug. I get too claustrophobic for the pod. I'll stick with my quilts.
    Yeah...... I am just testing this as a need a fun thing to do...... not for the claustrophobic the pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Well Shug ... just to let you know that Chip (carved by our own Kenneth Crump) loved the video!
    Seen here before we left Haining for Anji. He would have given it a big thumbs up ... but he's had a problem getting his hands out of his pockets on this trip!

Now THAT made my day.... I love lil' Chip. Ken has some talent there....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ewker, just curious, was she warm? A marmot sleeping bag (as opposed to just a top quilt) would be fairly big, combined with the under quilt and how thick it might be, and most of all depending on what hammock was being used, things might get pretty dang tight allright. I can see where it might be difficult to close.

BillyBob, my Marmot sleeping bag stuffs down smaller than any quilt we have and is smaller than the one top quilt we have. It is one of the old 900 fill Helium bags. Yes she was very warm in it. She didn't like it being totally enclosed in it though. This is the peapod that we had talked about in the past.
    I did forget that she had a SPE in the hammock also. She is always cold so I wanted to make sure she didn't get cold since this was the 1st time for her in a hammock ever!!! If we skip the SPE next time it may work better
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Great vid Shug. Warm at 19 degrees, wowsers. It's nice to know how but I think I'll just stay in the house. It doesn't get that cold here that often, though its a blazin 15 today.

Isn't there a beginners guide to juggling on youtube somewhere? If there isn't it's probably because you haven't made it yet. Got a kid down the street that does the Unicycle thing.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Great Video

The jacket over the foot end of the pod was a great tip. Last trip at 23 degrees my feet got cold.

Thanx!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a picture of where the hammock comes out of the sleeping bag .... no gap at all.
    And some shots of the Frost-Bib and the condensation it caught last night.
    I got NO Condensation on my TQ or Pod by my mouth!!!!

Foot end....

Frost-Bib front...

Frost Bib back....

Close up front...
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast