Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire

Footboxes Left or Right?

Do footboxes make sleeping on your side difficult if you usually switch sides on a regular basis?

I've come to fall in love with the Explorer Asyms and BB's for what looks like the best of the diagonal lays. Would I tend to be more comfortable in something wider but more symetrical, Like the HH Traveler? I'm 5'6" and around 165#, would i hang over and out of the hammock trying to sleep on my side at a diagonal in one of those?

I do see the HH's and BB's resale pretty impressively in the FS thread. I seldom see a Traveler offered up. Are they just cheap enough price wise, that everyone keeps them as backup's and loaners, instead of trying to sell them for 40 or 50 bucks, or is there something about them I'm missing?

Finally. Am I worrying about this too much, and will hammock camping finally turn me into a back sleeper after all these years, and make all these questions really really stoopid

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Finally. Am I worrying about this too much, and will hammock camping finally turn me into a back sleeper after all these years..?
    You may, at home I can only sleep on my back if I prop up my legs up on lots of pillows because of a bad back, but in my WBBB I sleep very comfy on my back (I sleep at about a 10 degree list, try that on a bed). When I do sleep on my side it is roomier on my left side with my feet in the foot-box. I can still sleep on my right side but , my head gets crammed up against the "wall" below the shelf.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    No issues side sleeping in my WBBB.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Images
    I sleep on my stomach in bed, and back or side in my hammock. I have Explorer Ultralight Asym. w/side zip (Thanks to 2QZQ!)

Last time out I worked 4 - midnight the day before, got 4 1/2 hrs sleep and headed out. Lots of cool fresh air, and slept on my back. Woke myself up 3 times snoring!! haha.... I never snore at home. Still, one of the most restful sleeps I've had.

A HH or WBBB are great and can sell fast on here if for some reason you don't like it.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I sleep on my stomach in bed, and back or side in my hammock
    Ditto here. I will turn over several times during the night and do not have any problems in my BB. I am 290 lbs and 6ft2
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I am a strict stomach sleeper in a bed. In a hammock, have no issues sleeping on my back/side.

The interesting thing is that with a hammock, you get angles and types of sleeping positions that are not able to be replicated in a bed. In a hammock, I sleep on my back but with my neck and shoulders tilted and facing sideways kinda with my legs and hips facing straight up.

You should not have any issues sleeping diagonally in any of the hammocks you mentioned seeing as I do fine in a Grand Trunk UL (which is only 4'6'' wide) on a diagonal and am 6'2''.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Left side right side no matter but I agree with Beast 71 that left side puts the side closer. I am not a side sleeper, I am THE side sleeper. It's all good to me though I tend to sleep just as well on my back in the WB hammocks anyway (go figure).

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    i have a black bird and a traveler both are nice. the traveler is my goto hammock these days for three season use and the bb for the winter. it is because my traveler weighs in at 12oz and the bb in the winter holds everything and is a bit heavy. the foot box is kinda not there. If you take a hammock and sew a triangle in the end that you put your feet in youll have a foot box. Those who sleep in a standard gathered end hammock know that the lay is the same with or with out the "foot box".

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7oz Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I am a decicated right side down sleeper in bed and had silimar concerns with the BB. Having the footbox on the right hand side means it is not quite as easy to achieve. However I quickly made to adjustment to left side down/back sleeping within a couple of nights and even with the footbox on the right side can still achieve a comfortable right side down lie if I want too.
    My advice. from a novice, go with the BB.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure i want the BB, and although you still need a tarp, the cost of the Traveler + Bug net + Tarp, is at or more than the cost of an outsourced WBBB.

Something tells me a WBBB + Super Shelter, would be well worth the investment.

I bet if I ever needed to sell it for a reasonable price, I could almost stay logged in until it got snatched up, from watching how fast some of the other WB's have flown out of the FS thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast