Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammock Brands?

Hammock Brands?

I'm looking for a camping hammock and it has to have a couple particular features.

comfort
    bug screen
    weather shield over the bug screen
    rain fly or water proof
    decent warmth in warm or cool weather 0 degree at the lowest
    packs up small enough that it would be good for ATV traveling with a lot of other gear
    and it needs to be somewhat cheep

most of all it HAS to be bullet proof...this thing will go through hell and back and will be used for a week at a time!
    I'm concerned that those small strings will frey and il be sleeping on the ground in a bag mid week
    Last edited by BushLite; 01-19-2011 at 09:20.

HH and WB seem to be the most popular...

I need something that can keep me decently warm tho...warm but at the same time it has to be a light enough set up i can get everything together on my ATV with all my other gear

From early spring to late fall would hammocks with a -20 sleeping bag and a fleece insert be warm enough....I also want to get a hammock that has a cover over the bug screen not just a rain fly so that i have additional heat retention, along with a pad or two and some standfields long underwear...would i be warm enough in the fall?

I have checked out shugs videos but my issue with his set up is that the UQ is huge! and i dont have an extra $200+ to spend
    Last edited by BushLite; 01-19-2011 at 09:36.

--thread saved--

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    lets break down what you are looking for

both hammocks are very good hammocks but a hammock alone will not keep you warm
    you need an UQ (UnderQuilt) for that ... what i would do is really go through alot of the threads here on the forums and learn how different setups work for ppl

i would also take a look at Shugs Youtube channel he has a great set of videos that will really help you out alot

if i had to pick between the 2 i would go with the WBBB(Warbonnet Blackbird)
    as for waterproof you are going to need a tarp ... there are lots of different tarps out there... again i would look around the forums and see what others are using and figure out what will work best for you

but i would check out shugs videos...
    Last edited by G.L.P.; 01-19-2011 at 00:40.
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Did he mention Shug's videos. Learning never was so fun.

Shug's Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Take Mr. Clean's advice. Those vids Shug made are incredibly knowledgeable for noobs. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird and love it. But, there are dozens of great hammocks out there.

Fronkey

bump.......

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BushLite View Post
    I'm looking for a camping hammock and it has to have a couple particular features.

comfort will also depend on your size, you may need to order a larger hammock
    bug screenClark, HH & BB have this sewn on
    weather shield over the bug screenClark has this, other hammocks you will need to tie something on
    rain fly or water proofyou do not want a waterproof hammock!! you want a tarp!!! A large tarp!!!
    decent warmth in warm or cool weather 0 degree at the lowestby "0" do you mean F or C temps?? anyways ALL hammocks must have some type of ADDED insulation to allow you to sleep in "cool" temps. This will be determined by what you add
    packs up small enough that it would be good for ATV traveling with a lot of other gearI've packed my Clark in the saddle bags of my husbands harley and noticed a bit of rubbing on the material later. You'll probably need to put "any" hammock into a better stuff sack when packing it on your ATV
    and it needs to be somewhat cheepHaHaHa

most of all it HAS to be bullet proof...this thing will go through hell and back and will be used for a week at a time!
    I'm concerned that those small strings will frey and il be sleeping on the ground in a bag mid week
    I'd say to go with the ClarkNA (either the reg sized one or the larger one depending on your size). I don't know if I'd recomend their tarps though. I like mine but I backpack with it and it does just fine for that. You may need something much larger and want to look around and order your tarp from another vender.

Please take my opinion with a grain of salt. Actually I've surprised myself with this opinion because I usually recomend the blackbird.

TinaLouise (oh, I also posted some more comments about this in your other post so I'm trying not to repost the same things here)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    What Tina said, but I would like to add - don't use lines around the trees you hang from! You'll get us all banned from hanging. You also need some tree saver straps to go around the tree. The Warbonnet hammocks already have them, the Clarks do not - but given your criteria, the Clarks are probably a better fit for you. Just get about ten to twenty feet of one inch wide straps to either add to or replace the lines on a Clark completely. Thanks,

Set up to date!

I like the clark its an awesome unit but very expensive

Mt thoughts are

HH with a weather shield, rain fly tree huggers, 1 or 2 sleeping pads, -20 degree mummy bag w/fleece insert and stanfields long underwear...I imagine that will keep me fairly warm in the spring and fall

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast