DIY DL 1.1 Hennessey Clone.
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Clone
    Insulation
    Pads & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Images

Combining Grosgrasin edging & Tie-outs???

Can you add tie-out loops using the grosgrain edging and just make a loop at each of your corners then stitch it to your reinforcement? The Grosgrain is one continuous piece that you just loop at the corner then stitch the snot out of it!

Tried to do a MS Paint of what I am talking about but it is poor.

Will the edging rip loose or do I need to add another level of reinforcement?

Thanks for the help,
    FH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    This is an excellent idea! I'd definitely add some more reinforcement because you are creating a weak spot right at the corner. Perhaps, you can fold over another grosgrain strip at a 45 degree angle that feeds or passes through the loop. It depends on how much force will be applied at the corner. Meaning... Is this for a tarp, which will be abused by the wind or just an underquit tie-out, as an example?

Another question is how you are going to fold the original grosgrain over the edge? It will probably be a little difficult to get everything to lay flat at the corner.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I love it when new ideas are tried out.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    That would work, and I've seen it done before.
    You may still want to put a reinforcement patch since the forces will also be directed into the middle of the tarp.

Good thinking!
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    This could be done... but I think you would need to roll the edge of the fabric a few times to strengthen it. I doubt the tarp (if we're talking about a tarp) would pitch nice and flat; I think it would have big wrinkles coming out from the corner. With a dramatic cat curve, maybe this would be lessened. But, in any case, wrinkles don't make a tarp unusable.

When I sew on grosgrain for binding, It's folded in half an pinching the fabric. It seem to me that it would be difficult to make a continuous loop and continue on the other edge if the fabric was folded in this manner, but if it was being applied to just one side, the loop would work fine, but once again, you would need to roll the fabric a few times to add some substance to stitch to. Even then, I think it's superior to have grosgrain on both sides.

You could sandwich the fabric between the two layers of grosgrain, and make a loop like you showed in one or both of the ribbons. Alternatively, and maybe nicer, would be to sew the grosgrain folded in half around the edge, then when you get to the corner, make a lengthwise slit in the middle of the ribbon and pass the remainder of the ribbon through itself to make a loop, and continue binding the next edge. You would probably want to hit that slit with a lighter afterward to melt the edges so they don't fray.

** This is all assuming this is for a tarp. For other applications just go for it.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    That's what I'm doing on my underquilt. But, it's a low tension installation.
    On a tarp, I'd sew in a reinforcement panel first. The Henry Shires "How to" for his first tarp tent design does that.
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is fine as long as you sew a re-enforcement patch on the tarp corner before sewing on the edging. The grosgrain will be sewed to the re-enforcing patch. Also, double roll the hem and sew first!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Clone
    Insulation
    Pads & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Images
    After thinking about it and looking at the Binding attachment on the TI there is not an easy way to do this.

I like the "cut a slit in the GG & singe it then pull the GG thru itself" method, but I can't think how to rethread the GG into the binder.....

Back to the drawing board for now - will post back if I find a method that has promise!

FH

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I've thought about doing it the way you described, but don't trust that it would be strong enough.
    Here's how I do grosgrain loops on tarp corners with grosgrain edge binding...
    The camo is the reinforcement patch. 1 & 2 are not corners, but the concept is the same.

Pic 1 = reinforcement patch in place, grosgrain binding in place, adding grosgrain loop for tie out point

Pic 2 = same as pic 1, only the other side. I sometimes have trouble lining up the grosgrain loop ends, so I tack one side in place with a few stitches (pic 1), then flip the fabric, fold the other end of the grosgrain over to complete the tie out loop, and proceed to sew through the sandwich (gg-rienforce patch-tarp-gg).

Pic 3 = is a completed corner. You may notice that I screwed up and put the patch on the outside of the gg binding. Ideally, I would have been paying more attention to what I was doing and less to the hockey game on TV, and would have attached the reinforcement patch BEFORE the gg binding. I think the difference is just cosmetic, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Clone
    Insulation
    Pads & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Images
    rj,

Thakns for the pics!

That helps with a couple of questions I had.

Probably how I will do it on mine but I will remember (hopefully) to put the reinforcement down befor GG....hopefully! :->

• + New Posts