DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

What am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to get a good lay in my Blackbird or my Traveler. Take into consideration that this is on my Vario hammock stand indoors. When I get into the hammock a ridge of fabric forms in the middle at the footend that runs down to near my buttocks. This puts pressure on my left calf while I'm on my back. It seems that there is very little room for me to lay in and it affects the footbox on the Bb. There is a lot of extra fabric at the top that is very floppy. The ridgeline is taut. However, when I lie down it slackens some. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I'm not familiar with the Vario stand but what is the distance between the posts and what sort of angle are you getting on the suspension. A picture or two might help us figure out what is wrong if you get chance.

The only time I've ever had that same ridge you mention was when my trees were too far apart and my angle was too shallow. How high (from the ground) can you get the suspension on the Vario, I reach up as high as I can which is probably around the 7-8ft mark usually.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    sounds like you have the hammock hung level. You'll want to raise the foot end about 6-10" higher than the head end.

You also want to lay diagonally, instead of in the middle.

When laying in the BB, you'll put your feet in the footbox area (normally to the right), and your head as far to the opposite side you can. Also make sure the ridgeline should be snug, but not as tight as a guitar-string.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, it's hung pretty level. The suspension is definitely not at a 30* angle. I have 12'6" between the points where the straps are tied off and they are only 4' off the ground. Unfortunately, I don't have any more room where I have it right now. As I mentioned the ridgeline is not that tight and I am at a diagonal.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here's what has worked for me to combat "calf ridge" in my BB so far:

1 - Hang angle >30* - a steeper hang angle seems to help
    2 - Foot end 6" to 8" higher than head end - this is more comfortable anyway
    3 - Shorten the ridge line 1" to 2" - I just use a knot bone on the ridge line, wrapping 4-6 wraps depending on need - this causes a bit more sag in the hammock

I cannot get close to getting rid of the calf ridge when hanging on my stand. When hanging from trees, I can get rid of ~99% of it.

I'd love to hear what others are doing as well.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I shortened one riser with the other at max extension until the foot elevation felt good. Then I shortened the distance between them until it felt right. Well OK I am still working to perfect "right" but that is the fun of the backyard lab (no suitable trees).

Play with the adjustments on your Byer until it works for you. Seemed counterintuitive to shorten it but it works for me YMMV.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That seemed to help some LD. I don't have much of a yard at all. I guess I will just have to continue adjusting it to find the sweet spot. I think my main problem is a lack of patience. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I'm trying my darndest to get a comfy lay but I'm not suceeding. So, here's my question ... does just the foot end of the hammock itself have to be higher than the head or are wea talikg about the point where the hammock is connected to the tree have to be higher and then that makes the foot end higher ?

I've got my foot end higher but the tie off point is actually lower than the head end due to basement framing. Maybe I'm causing too much pull on the foot end to get it up higher than the head end and creating the ridge??

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've gotten them both to be fairly comfortable now. Much better than they were earlier. I just had the suspension too tight. It definitely helped raising the feet.
    Last edited by whayneneal; 01-19-2011 at 20:39.

Images
    I'm saving to pick up a Traveler and Vario stand, hopefully this spring. Good info to know. Hope I remember this in a few months when I set mine up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast