HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's

HH Suspension

I would like to be able to switch out whoopies whenever I need longer or shorter one for different occasions. The ones I have right now are 5 1/2 feet long but I know I'll need longer ones at some point. What's the best way to whip the hammock so that I can just larkshead my whoopies instead of having to cut the little ziptie, unwind etc? I'm thinking of using JustJeff's method on his site...http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html....but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks..
    Chris

Images
    There's a great video on youtube by GrizzAdams that shows this. Search "hennessy whoopie sling conversion:" and you'll see. Pretty easy.

I removed the zip tie and small cover, and tossed them. Saw no need to re-use. Hennessy's being a bit different than a traditional gathered end, it's easy to whip through the two holes, add in the ridge line, dress down, and tighten up - as shown in the video. You'd be able to change out slings as necessary.

As a note, I'd be careful going with longer ropes. You wouldn't get a good angle on your hang, and would end up with an uncomfortable taught hammock that you'd have a hard time getting an asym flat lay in.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    You might consider using Chain Links from AHE:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1106791

You could attach them to the hammock and ridgeline and then quickly connect or disconnect whoopies using a carabiner, larks head or other fastening technique. It would be a one-time deconstruction and re-build.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Joe, thanks for the suggestion, I will have to look for that video. I like to use the nylon sheath for a couple reasons....1. It protects the whipping 2. It's another thing that the water has to make it past to get into my hammock.

As far as not getting a good hangle with longer whoopies, as long as I use the hammock hang calculator I should be fine, right? What else would you do if your trees were 30ft apart?

I was thinking about this last night while trying to sleep..couldn't I use a double ended locked brummel, whip like you would a sling using Knotty's method and end up with a loop a few inches outside the nylon sheath? Then I could just loop to loop the fixed eye on my sling to the locked brummel. Anything wrong with this set-up?

Here's a pic of Kids double ended locked brummel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Joe, could you give me a link to the video you are talking about? I searched for it using the phrase you quoted and found nothing by Grizz on the subject. I also looked at all the videos on his channel and couldn't find it. Thanks

Images
    Can't find the original video... Here's another with the same method. The first 2 min. show making a whoopie sling. Around 2 min he begins to attach to hammock. Then he goes on to finish the sling. I bought my slings from Opie (www.whoopieslings.com) and just attached them as shown. Hope this helps!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=162

You could easily put the nylon sheath back over the end. Just need another zip tie.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Thanks Joe!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    sorry I came to this conversation late...

While I'm happy to have in someone's mind lodged that I made a great video, I didn't do one on this particular topic.

However, back in the mists of ancient HF history, my very first posting was on how I integrated a loop of cord into an HH end whipping. Happened that the loop had rings on it, but that's immaterial here, leave the rings off.

I can't find that posting now...this was well before things were tagged and "Get all postings by X" doesn't actually when X has been a proper chatterbox, but "Get all Gallery Submissions by GrizzlyAdams" will bring up a set of pages which, when sorted by time of submssion, gives you a picture story of the method found at the very beginning or very end, depending on which way the pictures are sorted.

I would want the loop from the ridgeline to be attached to the cord ring, so that tension on the cord ring transfers to create tension on the ridgeline. You could bring in a premade cord chain link and larks-head it onto the ridgeline loop, or (as I did in the photos) create the loop with a knot AFTER you have first passed one end of the cord through the ridgeline loop. However you do it, you end up with a little bit of a loop peeking out of the cover, to which you can connect your whoopie sling.

but you've likely done this or something equivalent by now. The key thing is to attach the ridgeline to the cord that's going to the whoopie sling, somehow.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Direct and simple answer to your original question is this. One time replacement of hh susp with the chain link (you'll need the longer ones) which is larksheaded to the smc rapppel ring. This will give you the ability to larks head any size whoopies you feel you may need, and, the rings will do double duty as drip rings. That's how I set mine up although I never intended to switch out my whoopies for different lengths...Bush

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Grizz, thanks for the suggestion but as you said, I have rigged something up already.

This is what I did.....I created a double ended locked brummel as in the pic above, with the tails in the bury butted up against each other. I stitched the bury on both sides and whipped as in Kens video (Knotty's method) that Joe linked to above. I used 3 wraps instead of 2, looped the ridgeline over the loop (as in the Kens video) and I now have a loop that is just outside the nylon cover. I loop to looped that (like some do with their fly line) to my whoopie sling.

This serves two purposes for me...1. It allows me to take my whoopie off with ease and change them out. 2. If I have a small gap in my hanging points, I can hang from the loops themselves.

The only thing I don't like about this method is that the bury on my whoopie is a little further up than I would like. Other than that it has worked out great, although I have yet to hang from it. I might take some pics tomorrow if anybody is interested.

Thanks for all your help everybody, love this forum!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast