Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    How far from your car do you plan to camp?

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    well, IF this the first hanging trip, you have prepared properly and hung in the back yard? ALOT. at these temps. Correct?
    Because, if the answer isn't YES!!, then I agree with your family!

Many factors may reduce their (and mine) concerns...backpacking or car camping? PLENTY of winter camping experience (even on the ground)? you have tested, tested, and re-tested your set-up?
    If you think reading this forum, buying a hammock, a pad, and using a couple sleeping bags prepares you for nearly 0*F, sorry friend, your wrong. Will you die? Probably not. Will you have any fun? Probably not.

I know we ‘old timers’ get our groove on testing the limits of our gear (and sanity) camping cold, but please DO NOT START THERE! we didn't

Rant over…

PS- I do a snowshoe hang on the Manistee River in the national forest every year...beautiful place!! good luck!
    PSS-I did nearly die on a winter tent trip 15 yrs ago...take it seriously!!
    Animal,

Thank you for your advise and rant. As I have inherited 98% of my Father's stubbornness, this trip has been a challenge for me.

I've learned a few things so far:
    1.) Advise is free
    2.) Family is very important
    3.) Use your head
    4.) Know when to shut and up and listen to somebody who knows more than you

While I can't testify to some of your prerequisites for this kind of trip, we have made an extensive amount of resources available for Plan B's, to Plan F's. I'd like to have tested my hammock set-up a bit more, but the theory and mechanics of the design are spot on. Only one way to test equipment for those of us w/o a backyard, get out there and use it!

Yes, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. My parents think I'm an idiot.

RP - My Father uses a SPOT, and it has been a nice way to ensure to our family that he is alive and well. Especially when he shoots off to random islands in the Caribbean for some permit/bonefish fly fishing trips.... Its definitely something on my list of items to save up for.

-Bandit

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    AC is right on. I would not do this as a test unless your vehicle is with you or very very close. This kind of weather requires testing and experience with back up plans as mentioned. Death is not likely, but you could be miserable and every time you consider cold weather camping in the future, you will recall misery if that is your experience.

Be prepared, eat and drink lots of water, no alcohol, have back ups to the back ups and assure those who care about you by sharing your plan. My wife knows that I take risk, but it is seldom uncalculated. That is why I paddle for days on end solo or with others in all kinds of weather because she knows I plan and execute my plan.

In reality the real risk is probably the drive there and even that requires some good decisions.

Enjoy, I love that area up there, will be paddling the Manistee real soon.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit402 View Post
    RP - My Father uses a SPOT, and it has been a nice way to ensure to our family that he is alive and well. Especially when he shoots off to random islands in the Caribbean for some permit/bonefish fly fishing trips.... Its definitely something on my list of items to save up for.

-Bandit
    Can you borrow his Spot?

Sounds like you have everything well planned out. Have fun and tell them not to worry.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Haha, well everyone, my thread has officially turned into a lecture on the conditions of this trip. That wasn't my goal. Thank you all for your concern.

For your questions:
    - The car will be located close to our site.
    - Our family has been given our Lat/Long, and we've got ranger #'s and directions to the nearest local hospital.

I didn't think I would end up selling my planning of this trip to the forum as well as my family.

Back on topic:
    It's nice to know that you seem to experience the same worries and concerns for your ventures. It definitely takes a special type of family to deal with our outdoor passions.

-Bandit

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit402 View Post
    Haha, well everyone, my thread has officially turned into a lecture on the conditions of this trip. That wasn't my goal. Thank you all for your concern.

For your questions:
    - The car will be located close to our site.
    - Our family has been given our Lat/Long, and we've got ranger #'s and directions to the nearest local hospital.

I didn't think I would end up selling my planning of this trip to the forum as well as my family.

Back on topic:
    It's nice to know that you seem to experience the same worries and concerns for your ventures. It definitely takes a special type of family to deal with our outdoor passions.

-Bandit
    Take notice that the people who love you have that kind of care for your well being!! That is a great gift!

Now, as far as the forum goes, sorry for my lecture. Winter hanging is not easy!! I worry that new people see some of the things we say and charge headfirst into a potentially dangerous activity. "we are trained professionals" (NOT!!) "Do not try this at home!!"

That being said, HAVE FUN! I always notice how quiet the woods are in the winter, how clean the air smells. I like to follow animal tracks in the snow (I cant do this without snow!!)
    The more you go in the winter, the more your loved ones will trust your judgement. This first trip will be the hardest!! You will live and they will not worry as much the next time.

Again, I hope you enjoy your trip! I wish I was on the Manistee with you.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    My wife doesn't worry, she just thinks I'm nuts. Then again I wait until the coldest days and hang in the backyard. Maybe that helps her realize I almost know what I'm doing.
    Could have been me writing that.....
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Wife already knows I am nuts so weather makes no difference lol

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Bandit -- sounds like you have good plans in place. Yes, we did have a knee jerk reaction, and derailed your thread. Thanks for taking time to reassure us after hooking our interest and concern, as well as our memories of some cold nights of our own. Have a great time! While you have posted few details of your equipment, we know now that you have impressive wordsmith skills, listen well and return kindness for kindness! Welcome to one of the best families around.

Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now
    Yah I feel yah bro! I live in an area where coyotes will attack people on occasion
    so having to convince the wife I would be fine is hard in a tent ..just started to hang so this is a whole new argument but at least they care about you If your going with friends you should be find if anything happens ...a solo trip is never easy just keep at them and let them know exactly where you will be ...they will crack eventually

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast