Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Hey Mike I have a couple of pieces but they are ~ 3.5" in diameter. Pretty big but if you want it PM me.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've seen on home improvement shows where they discuss some bamboos as being invasive. One went as far as digging a 4' deep trench around the bamboo and put in a solid barrier (1/2" thick plastic of some sort) just to contain the shoots to prevent uncontrolled spread...

Since bamboo is a grass, it regrows where once a tree is cut down, a new one has to be planted in it's place...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Thanks guys for all the tips! I'll post pics when I come up with somethin. Millarky thanks for the offer but I'm lookin for poles to be about the same diameter as commercial aluminum hiking poles. I saw a set of cross country ski poles at a thrift store awhile back and wish I would have grabbed them.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    It's sometimes used for katana cutting practice, inside a wara (reed/grass bundle) or alone, to approximate the cutting resistance of the spinal cord . Even as strong as traditionally-made katana blade is, hitting a 2 or 3 inch piece of bamboo with a misaligned swing arc can and will damage/bend a blade (and make the owner cry). I've done it before in my early days, luckily, with cheap blades.
    What was the goal of your cutting practice, trying to find out what the cutting resistance of the spinal cord would be like?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I've seen on home improvement shows where they discuss some bamboos as being invasive. One went as far as digging a 4' deep trench around the bamboo and put in a solid barrier (1/2" thick plastic of some sort) just to contain the shoots to prevent uncontrolled spread...

Since bamboo is a grass, it regrows where once a tree is cut down, a new one has to be planted in it's place...
    I have also heard of using a 5 gal. bucket to grow the bamboo in to keep it from spreading. Nature will find a way though.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by grok View Post
    ...Nature will find a way though.
    Jurassic Park...

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I have found several sizes of bamboo in wallyworld - check the garden department.

Also watch out for bamboo that has been artificially colored - unless you like blue hands!

if you're looking for "quailty" stock, look on line for fishing rod making supplies. i don't know if it's currently available but, TONKEN GULF bamboo was the world's standard for the very best stock.the price will be a bit of a shock but once fashioned into terking poles the pain will quicky meld away and you'll treasure the joy of them.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by trinni View Post
    What was the goal of your cutting practice, trying to find out what the cutting resistance of the spinal cord would be like?
    It's not my idea by any means.....this goes back centuries before I was born. Ideally, cadavers were used for testing the cutting ability of swords, failing that, rolls of wet reeds (or rolled up tatami mats) were used. Bamboo was added for the realism referenced previously.

Hope I didn't give the wrong idea...

Nowadays, cutting through reeds or bamboo is more a test of arc generation and angle of the blade at the point of contact. If the blade is anything more or less than perpendicular to the application of force, bending or breakage is a risk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123