JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Cold Weather / JRB BMBH / Pad

This Fall I used my BMBH with a BA insulated aircore pad and a JRB Hudson River TQ.

During the night I would roll over and my side would touch the hammock material outside of the pad and below the TQ (Or I compressed the TQ against the side, not sure which). Either way, there was a definate cold spot along that line, enough to wake me if I moved to that postion in the night.

If you are able to stay centered on the pad through the night with minimal movement then a pad and TQ might work for you. I must move too much in my sleep.

When I used the Z-rest pad with a TQ and UQ it was heaven. The Z-rest pad was for structure and wasn't needed for warmth.

The extra ounces for z-rest pad are worth it to me; makes a nice cushion around camp and adds width to the BMBH.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    This Fall I used my BMBH with a BA insulated aircore pad and a JRB Hudson River TQ.

During the night I would roll over and my side would touch the hammock material outside of the pad and below the TQ (Or I compressed the TQ against the side, not sure which). Either way, there was a definate cold spot along that line, enough to wake me if I moved to that postion in the night.

If you are able to stay centered on the pad through the night with minimal movement then a pad and TQ might work for you. I must move too much in my sleep.

When I used the Z-rest pad with a TQ and UQ it was heaven. The Z-rest pad was for structure and wasn't needed for warmth.

The extra ounces for z-rest pad are worth it to me; makes a nice cushion around camp and adds width to the BMBH.
    My guess is you were using a 20" pad. A 25" pad would probably take care of that problem.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    My guess is you were using a 20" pad. A 25" pad would probably take care of that problem.
    Or a 26" wide CCF pad!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    Alright so that is an obvious thumbs up on the comfort factor. What about temp though? Any other feedback on cold weather (20-30*) use of a ccf or any other pad?
    Not a ton of pad experience here. There used to be some really useful tables at Ed Speer's website for how thick of a pad (pads of different types closed cell foam versus self inflating) is needed for different temperatures inside a hammock. I once used a Thermarest UL (1 inch thick) torso length pad on top of a Thermarest Ridgerest stacked inside of a Speer SPE. At about ~ 18-20F, I was very toasty, as warm as I've ever been inside a hammock at those temps.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-25-2011 at 21:15.

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I have made it down to 28* with a Wally world blue pad and an Oywhee TQ in my BMBH. Haven't tried any colder since my Crowsnest showed up the next day.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    thanks everyone. I am probably getting the UQ anyway, but will most likely use pad in summer. I will have to test the pad in cold weather, just because i enjoy the scientific process.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12