Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

DIY and Cottage suggestions

Hi folks,

So far for backpacking I've been using an EMS Solstice 20 sleeping bag for my top insulation, and a Sea to Summit Reactor liner. The bag is synthetic and weighs about 3.5lbs+ when packed. Coupled with my HG 20* UQ I've been comfortable sleeping in the cold this winter, but I'm looking to cut down on the weight of my big 4, and I think getting a down option seems like the best route for when I attempt longer hikes this summer. I can afford to DIY one now, and can save enough this summer while working to get one from a cottage vendor. Here's my thought process:

I want a down option for summer hiking that's good to maybe 40 degrees for New England in late May. I think I can make one myself, but I saw options on ebay for around $80 as well: See here.

What do you guys think is the most cost-effective way to be warm in 40+ degrees with my liner, but is light enough to reduce my pack weight? Can I buy a cheap option that someone else DIY'd for a good value?

Additionally, if I do go to get a 4-season down option later on, will it weigh much less than my current synthetic? What do people prefer for their 3 or 4 season quilts? I usually see low temps of 20 degrees in the winter and will have a topcover chameleon and liner to layer on.

Thanks for any opinions!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    for summer I'd just grab the costo down throw, and stitch/button it up into a TQ for 20 bucks

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    for summer I'd just grab the costo down throw, and stitch/button it up into a TQ for 20 bucks
    Would something like THIS work well? Are there warmer options for down throws?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    that is the costco down throw everyone uses

someone just bought it for 20 and trying to resell for 40, heh

I'm sure there are warmer options, but the cost really starts to increase, and one of these will take you to 40 np, especially since you already have a decent UQ

I use 1 of them out in my sunroom hammock at below freezing, np

Images
    I would do 2 CDT and double them up. I would get cold in one at 40F. Still a cheap option, even with two.

That said, i love my 20F Burrow year round.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Hi folks,

So far for backpacking I've been using an EMS Solstice 20 sleeping bag for my top insulation, and a Sea to Summit Reactor liner. The bag is synthetic and weighs about 3.5lbs+ when packed. Coupled with my HG 20* UQ I've been comfortable sleeping in the cold this winter, but I'm looking to cut down on the weight of my big 4, and I think getting a down option seems like the best route for when I attempt longer hikes this summer. I can afford to DIY one now, and can save enough this summer while working to get one from a cottage vendor. Here's my thought process:

I want a down option for summer hiking that's good to maybe 40 degrees for New England in late May. I think I can make one myself, but I saw options on ebay for around $80 as well: See here.

What do you guys think is the most cost-effective way to be warm in 40+ degrees with my liner, but is light enough to reduce my pack weight? Can I buy a cheap option that someone else DIY'd for a good value?

Additionally, if I do go to get a 4-season down option later on, will it weigh much less than my current synthetic? What do people prefer for their 3 or 4 season quilts? I usually see low temps of 20 degrees in the winter and will have a topcover chameleon and liner to layer on.

Thanks for any opinions!
    I just bought two of the MacGear 40 degree quilts. Same quilt that is on ebay. I messaged him on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/macgear2016/?fref=ts I think I paid 65.00 for each quilt delivered. The quilt is nice for 65 bucks. Its not my burrow, but its 65 bucks. Stitched through baffle design, Duck down. Construction is well made. Its in the single digits here so no testing yet, but I feel it should do its job. Should be a great summer quilt for the price. On the down side I personally do not like how far it is stitched up the middle. I wish it was snaps or just was not stitched so high.
    Last edited by SamyK; 03-17-2017 at 21:30.

You could by a 2 pack from costco.com for $40. You do not need to be a member. I Just turned one into a summer quilt.
    Here is a little instruction sheet I made up. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...RNWmExY0k/view

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Ordered two Costco down quilts. I saw there were some DIY instructions floating around- has anyone here had success with any of these? Additionally, Im looking to make my setup modular in that I'll carry two of the quilts under 40 degrees and just one when the temp is above that. Does anyone have ideas on how I could alter one or both to accomplish that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Just sew a simple footbox into 1. The other you can just layer on top or inside

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm considering using a simple button footbox on one and having a longer zip-up foot box on the other, the zip-up being my outer layer in the winter and the simple one being inside. I'm wondering how my Chameleon topcover will factor into the warmth equation as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast