Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

DIY Mini Survival Kit

Not sure if this should go here or in the off topic DIY section...Moderators feel free to move if nesc. I feel that it is backpacking/manmmock related and covers the "ten essentials" in a very relative manor.

Along with be a backpacker I am a survival nut, have been since I was about 8 when I built my first survival kit. I am not one of those crazy extremist who has an arsenal of weapons and ten years of food stored in my basement. But I do believe in being prepared. And I practice my survival skills a lot. It has nothing to do with my BOB (Bug Out Bag) and is completely separate from that.

This is a mini survival kit I made some time back and have one in each of the families vehicles and they never leave them (except now but will be returned as soon as I am done with this post )I thought I would share as it brings on multi faceted backpacking/hammocking/survival related items and topics. Thanks for letting me share.

It is a Omega climbing caribiner (not sure of the rating I have no idea what the funny numbers mean.) that I have braided 10ft of 550 (mil spec 7 strand) cord around. Then hanging off the biner is:

Tonto survival knife (soon to be replaced with Rana neck knife built by our very own Buenos)
    Button Compass
    Ferocious Striker
    Magnesium rod 3x1/2
    Mini LED light
    Super loud whistle (inside is a tinder quick fire starter)
    BCB/SAS emergency signal mirror
    BCB/SAS emergency saw...wrapped in 550 cord to use as handles.

So this mini kit pretty much covers the essentials. The 550 cord can be gutted to give you 70ft of more cordage plus the 10ft sheath.
    You can signal using various tools, build a fire, build a shelter, gather/harvest food, ....SURVIVE.

Kit assembled

The items individually

Close up of the whistle w/tinder quick (so you can "picture" the compartment)

Braided Binner

Knife
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Images
    Interesting little kit. I have most of those items in my winter bag for the cars.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    good stuff buddy, I really like the simplistic approach but as a whole it is really well rounded.

Images
    'tis nice, and should serve you well. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Perhaps a small shelter (tarp or poncho) and some water filtration/purification.
    Nice looking kit tho!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO-HH-Gatherd
    Tarp
    http://www.hammock
    Suspension
    Rings-webbing
    Approximate build cost?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
    01 R1
    01 CBR929
    08DRZSM
    07BMW F650GS
    92 DR650 24-7 365
    03 KTM 450EXC

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_dave View Post
    Approximate build cost?
    Good question. The kit looks solid, nice pics too.

I would consider a leatherman instead (would replace saw and a very weak replacement for the knife) but mainly because I camp with my dog and if she ever got into a porcipine...I used to shake my head at guys who carried them but now I always do!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Nice kit!

If you are traveling in remote areas, you should consider some sort of shelf stable food source. If you're in a situation where you're not going to be found for a while and need to make fire, you'll probably be hungry as well.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Very nice survival / emergency kit.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Perhaps a small shelter (tarp or poncho) and some water filtration/purification.
    Nice looking kit tho!

I have an emergency poncho as well...The point was to make a kit that would give me the basics, and be urber simple....and is not related or takes away from my BOB, which has everything.

Ya I have a small water purification kit that consists of 6 micropure's and 1 non lubricated condom. Problem is I am still looking around for a container that I can hang from the Binner.

I have also made a fishing kit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_dave View Post
    Approximate build cost?
    Well I have bought everything in bulk (making them for friends and family) but would say about $30.00 for everything. The knife and binner is what jacks the price up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
    Good question. The kit looks solid, nice pics too.

I would consider a leatherman instead (would replace saw and a very weak replacement for the knife) but mainly because I camp with my dog and if she ever got into a porcipine...I used to shake my head at guys who carried them but now I always do!
    Actually the saw is a BCB saw which is about the best you can buy out there. I may opt for the slightly more expensive ones next time.

As far as the knife, I again I wanted something following the KISS philosophy and it will soon be getting replaced by the Rana Neck Knife built by Buenos

Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    Nice kit!

If you are traveling in remote areas, you should consider some sort of shelf stable food source. If you're in a situation where you're not going to be found for a while and need to make fire, you'll probably be hungry as well.
    There is a fishing kit that I have made but have not figured out how to attach it yet. Again this is not my BOB kit, its just the basics. And I defiantly have the fire part covered.

I would like to learn some fancy braiding so I can braid up to 25ft of more of 550 cord on a leash style and attach everything via a big key ring. That way I would have more cordage for what ever, but the binner is the best I can do for right now.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast