Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I first tried using the cord/rope setup like you describe. It didn't work that well for me. It seemed that with a very short piece of shock cord, I was having to pull it very very tight to get the overall snugging effect that I wanted.

I then switched to full length shock cord and have had much better success.

One item to note is that my winter UQ is very wide, so that may have some affect. This probably requires a little more stretch of the edge of the UQ during the entry/exit of the hammock that made the short shock cords more of an issue.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I replaced the 1/8" shockcord in my 3S Crowsnest

with 3/16" and it snugs up very .......snugly. Actually this was a side benefit as I needed the 1/8 for another project, but I am pleased with the outcome.

Stormcrow recently posted an admonition about tightening the shockcord to keep the UQ tight against your back and butt. I agree wholeheartedly.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Something to consider is that the longer a shock cord is the more it will stretch for a particular load.

Making up numbers; let's say a 12" shock cord stretches 1" with a 1lb. load. If you use 48" of shock cord it will stretch 4" with the same 1lb. load.

So, you may need to use a beefier shock cord when running them the full length vs. just from the corners of the UQ to the suspension.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    . Even when using shockcord the entire length this can be a problem.
    I have 3mm shockcord on my UQ. I found that it didn't hold the UQ in place through the night and would bunch down at each corner. I've since added a prussic knot at each corner which holds the UQ much tighter to the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    I have 3mm shockcord on my UQ. I found that it didn't hold the UQ in place through the night and would bunch down at each corner. I've since added a prussic knot at each corner which holds the UQ much tighter to the hammock.
    I also had the bunching problem with my 3/4-length quilt when using a full-length loop of shock cord for suspension.

My solution was to cut the shock cord down to the length of the quilt perimeter, running through the channels on all four sides. I added two cordlocs on each end of the quilt to independently-adjust the widths. The quilt is attached to the hammock using yokes made out of 2mm utility cord, #0 plastic S-biners, and mitten hooks. There is one S-biner hooked around the whoopie sling on each end of the hammock and stays there when packed. The "yokes" are a length of utility cord with a mitten hook tied at each end. The mitten hooks attach to the corners formed by the shock cord in the quilt. One yoke is longer than the other, set up just right so the quilt is just above my shoulders. With this system you can tweak the underquilt to lay diagonal, or even shift it forwards or backwards ~6in, all while laying inside the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    I also had the bunching problem with my 3/4-length quilt when using a full-length loop of shock cord for suspension.

My solution was to cut the shock cord down to the length of the quilt perimeter, running through the channels on all four sides. I added two cordlocs on each end of the quilt to independently-adjust the widths. The quilt is attached to the hammock using yokes made out of 2mm utility cord, #0 plastic S-biners, and mitten hooks. There is one S-biner hooked around the whoopie sling on each end of the hammock and stays there when packed. The "yokes" are a length of utility cord with a mitten hook tied at each end. The mitten hooks attach to the corners formed by the shock cord in the quilt. One yoke is longer than the other, set up just right so the quilt is just above my shoulders. With this system you can tweak the underquilt to lay diagonal, or even shift it forwards or backwards ~6in, all while laying inside the hammock.
    That sounds pretty interesting, have you got any pics? I like my setup once you have it sitting good it'll stay put, but it's a bugger to adjust if you're in the hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    That sounds pretty interesting, have you got any pics? I like my setup once you have it sitting good it'll stay put, but it's a bugger to adjust if you're in the hammock
    Sorry, just got around to digging it out. Here's a photo of one corner. There's actually more slack in the shock cord than pictured, but I wanted it all to fit in the frame.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12