Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    No, I don't ever get any noticeable moisture under me. But, I have never weighed my UQs after a hang, so it is possible some is condensing in there. Plus, I am often using a space blanket VB, either with my SS or in my PeaPod, so that would tend to keep moisture out any way.

Shug, have you ever weighed your UQs after several days of hanging below 20F? Ever noticed any loss of loft?

Maybe ( first time thinking of this) moisture condensing in an UQ is a needless worry, no matter how cold it is? Because, maybe any vapor (insensible perspiration) that escapes your back is going to tend to rise, rather than sinking to where the dew point is finally reached? Maybe condensation worries should be mainly for TQs and clothing?

Whatch y'all think?
    If you're using a pod, the moisture that goes up can wind up under you anyway.

The past couple of years have been a bit of an anomaly here in the South as Winters have reverted back to what they were thirty years ago. While temps would occasionally dip down well below freezing, most of the time temps would be at or near freezing. Air below freezing tends to be quite dry and it is these conditions that insensible perspiration is at a higher rate as our bodies attempt to keep our skin moist. Above freezing temps tend to make for wet UQ's and TQ's in the mountains around here as the dew points stay near air temperature resulting in condensation on the outside layers of insulation. (That's where weather shields come in handiest).

Either way, wet insulation is not your friend. Most of us don't go out for more than a couple of nights at a time, and the cumulative consequences aren't really that bad in those situations. Multi-day trips in sub freezing temps are where vapor barriers offset their weight in terms of benefits.

Personally, I just think it's kind of cool to wake up to a bone dry TQ the morning after using VB clothing.

As far as IX being a VB, I've been using a small piece of IX folded over the head end of a TQ (in lieu of Shug's bib). It appears to be working for that purpose so far.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    OK, what I'm getting out of this for use on the Roan High Knob hang is that I'm thinking I can use a layer of MacIX between the hammock and the pod?????? Instead of a space blanket....what do you think? Will the MacIX act as enough VBL to help?
    If we get another couple of cold nights between now and the soon to be famous Roan High Knob Winter Extravaganza, I might try using some a few yards of raw IX as I would a space blanket. I'm thinking it will reflect less heat back than a space blanket, but it might offer more in terms of R value.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    No, I don't ever get any noticeable moisture under me. But, I have never weighed my UQs after a hang, so it is possible some is condensing in there. Plus, I am often using a space blanket VB, either with my SS or in my PeaPod, so that would tend to keep moisture out any way.

Shug, have you ever weighed your UQs after several days of hanging below 20F? Ever noticed any loss of loft?

Maybe ( first time thinking of this) moisture condensing in an UQ is a needless worry, no matter how cold it is? Because, maybe any vapor (insensible perspiration) that escapes your back is going to tend to rise, rather than sinking to where the dew point is finally reached? Maybe condensation worries should be mainly for TQs and clothing?

Whatch y'all think?
    BillyBob I would first like to thank you for all the fine peapod postings you have posted and the promotion of the system. Thank you for all the great info.
    I would rather be to warm and have to vent.
    Then be chilled and not be able to sleep through the night.

In a hammock in the cold I always use a reflective foam winshield garde
    right under me in the hammock. I have never had condesation using that method. Its a insulating layer , VB and gives shape to the hammock.
    When the VB is between the insulation and the outside air you will have condesation in your insulation and may cause it to fail.

I have found in the deep cold if a use a highly breathable bivey bag or hammock sock I will have some condesation on the inside of the hammock sock.
    Thats ok, I know the condesation is not in the outside layer of my
    insulation area that will cause it to fail. Hanging in a large tarp will can cause that.
    The air around your sleep system is so much colder it will cause some of your
    water vapour from your body to freeze in the outside layers of your sleep system before it escapes to the outside air.

Wearing VB systems work, but I find them to be to much fiddle facter and
    to uncomfertable to my liking and would rather use other meathods to manage
    it.

In the deep cold in 2-3 days you will have to dry your gear by sublimtion
    or a form of heat. Or it will be at best less effective or fail.

I think temps between 30*F-40*F and damp are the worse for trying to stay dry and warm then -0*F and takes a
    whole different approch to ones methods and are two different disciplines.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    BillyBob I would first like to thank you for all the fine peapod postings you have posted and the promotion of the system. Thank you for all the great info.
    Well, you are very welcome! I have been crazy bout pods since I got one for Christmas Dec 07. I quickly recognized that pods were a super efficient way of staying warm in a hammock if being wrapped up in one doesn't bug you, if claustrophobia is not a huge problem for the hanger.

I would rather be to warm and have to vent.
    Then be chilled and not be able to sleep through the night.
    Roger that! My thread title is sort of joking. Though it was actually a bit too warm at those temps, that is OK and easily fixed. All I had to do was vent more or remove a layer.

In a hammock in the cold I always use a reflective foam winshield garde
    right under me in the hammock. I have never had condesation using that method. Its a insulating layer , VB and gives shape to the hammock.
    When the VB is between the insulation and the outside air you will have condesation in your insulation and may cause it to fail.

I have found in the deep cold if a use a highly breathable bivey bag or hammock sock I will have some condesation on the inside of the hammock sock.
    Thats ok, I know the condesation is not in the outside layer of my
    insulation area that will cause it to fail. Hanging in a large tarp will can cause that.
    The air around your sleep system is so much colder it will cause some of your
    water vapour from your body to freeze in the outside layers of your sleep system before it escapes to the outside air.

Wearing VB systems work, but I find them to be to much fiddle facter and
    to uncomfertable to my liking and would rather use other meathods to manage
    it.

In the deep cold in 2-3 days you will have to dry your gear by sublimtion
    or a form of heat. Or it will be at best less effective or fail.

I think temps between 30*F-40*F and damp are the worse for trying to stay dry and warm then -0*F and takes a
    whole different approch to ones methods and are two different disciplines.
    Good info, some things I really need to try!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'claustrophobia is not a huge problem for the hanger'
    I think a lot of claustrophobia issues come when the user starts thinking about how fast can one get out.
    The velcro pod is super fast to get out of. You'd probably be using it with a Traveler type hammock so shoot your arms through the velcro and your out versus fiddling with a zipper which in a panic would probably jam up.
    I'm already looking at podding in the warmer months with the venerable first gen. PeaPod (sewn through construction). When you pull a hammocksock over it I'm thinking 8-10 more Fs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12