Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 0° Bur/Inc
    Suspension
    WB stock AWS

Hanger Wannabe from NH

Hi all, I'm brand new to Hammock Forums. I intend to become a hanger. I don't have a hammock as of yet, but am leaning toward a Warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.7 since it seems to have such rave reviews here. I'm also considering an OES MacCat Ultra silnylon tarp w/doors and an AHE Kick *** New River UQ (possibly w/a 4-season upgrade). I have not determined suspension yet. If there are any experienced veteran hammock folks in NH, I'd love to get together, possibly try a hammock out, actually see how it's hung, etc.

I have been planning a NOBO Appalachian Trail thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're an interested female or know a female who is, please contact me (I am on White Blaze, too).

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Welcome from a former NH-er. Not up in the Whites, but beautiful country up there. You've got a great list of gear on your wish list. Don't think you could go wrong with any of it. Suspension = you'll see a lot of people use poly straps with a marlin spike hitch to whoopie slings. Lightweight, super strong and effective. Like anything, it's all personal preference. Check out all the cottage shops here - again, you can't go wrong with any of them. Enjoy all that HF has to offer.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    Hi all, I'm brand new to Hammock Forums. I intend to become a hanger. I don't have a hammock as of yet, but am leaning toward a Warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.7 since it seems to have such rave reviews here. I'm also considering an OES MacCat Ultra silnylon tarp w/doors and an AHE Kick *** New River UQ (possibly w/a 4-season upgrade). I have not determined suspension yet. If there are any experienced veteran hammock folks in NH, I'd love to get together, possibly try a hammock out, actually see how it's hung, etc.

I have been planning a NOBO Appalachian Trail thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're an interested female or know a female who is, please contact me (I am on White Blaze, too).
    Welcome and all.
    You should get in touch with member (female) Keys on here. She through hike last year and started in February. Used a hammock the whole way.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    If you have a little more money to spend, I would consider a down UQ versus a synthetic due to a need for space and weight saving for the thru-hike. KAQ are some awesome quilts however, this is just my opinion I would look into Leigh's UQs in the Other Vendors forum, she makes 2/3 down UQs for a very affordable price. Good Luck!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 0° Bur/Inc
    Suspension
    WB stock AWS
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Welcome from a former NH-er. Not up in the Whites, but beautiful country up there. You've got a great list of gear on your wish list. Don't think you could go wrong with any of it. Suspension = you'll see a lot of people use poly straps with a marlin spike hitch to whoopie slings. Lightweight, super strong and effective. Like anything, it's all personal preference. Check out all the cottage shops here - again, you can't go wrong with any of them. Enjoy all that HF has to offer.
    Thanks, Syb, for the welcome & feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Welcome and all.
    You should get in touch with member (female) Keys on here. She through hike last year and started in February. Used a hammock the whole way.
    Shug
    Thanks, Shug. I've checked out some of your YouTube videos, and really enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    If you have a little more money to spend, I would consider a down UQ versus a synthetic due to a need for space and weight saving for the thru-hike. KAQ are some awesome quilts however, this is just my opinion I would look into Leigh's UQs in the Other Vendors forum, she makes 2/3 down UQs for a very affordable price. Good Luck!
    I guess I just figured the KAQs were down since they don't really specify. Thanks, Bombadil. I'll check out your suggestion.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Just me I guess . . . but are you a female . . . ? ? ?

Hard to tell by the name.

If not . . . kinda early to be lookin to hook up . . .

after one post and all

More info would be comforting to a prospective hiking partner . . . I would think.

Other than that, WELCOME . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    I guess I just figured the KAQs were down since they don't really specify. Thanks, Bombadil. I'll check out your suggestion.
    AHE actually just started a line of down UQs called "Flamethrower Gear" but the KAQ models are climashield. Also you could PM Hangnout for more specific info on Leigh's UQs (prices, customization, and such)
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Welcome to the madness.

Lots of good gear choices out there. Try and hook up with some hangers in your area and or attend a group hang so you can check out some different systems. Some hangers at the group hangs will take extra gear for those folks who do not have any hammocks ect so they can check out some different setups.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF and good luck on thru hike planning. Be sure to get lots of hanging practice between now and then.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 0° Bur/Inc
    Suspension
    WB stock AWS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Just me I guess . . . but are you a female . . . ? ? ?

Hard to tell by the name.

If not . . . kinda early to be lookin to hook up . . .

after one post and all

More info would be comforting to a prospective hiking partner . . . I would think.

Other than that, WELCOME . . .
    Yes, I'm female. Actually, there are folks on White Blaze who've already started "Class of 2012" threads. I did ask around there but figured I would here as well. If someone is interested, I'm more than happy to provide more info. Other than that, I'm here to learn how to hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast