Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man's Best Friend and Hammock Hangin'

I have searched the forums for a successful way to backpack and hammock hang with a dog. I realize that the dog's personality dictates what will ultimately work. This 1 year old, 40 lb mutt is a great little trail dog, but is the type that would not be happy unless she was in close proximity to me at night (she's spoiled and alert to night noises). Options include using my gear hammock for her, tying a lead through the Hennessey opening, or a portable kennel as suggested by Nogods in a previous thread.

I need to do some short solo trips in the spring and would like to have her company, but I really don't want to return to being a ground dweller just for the dog. Has anyone found an option that works?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get a CCF pad to lay on the ground next to your hammock, and hang low enough that you can pet her from the hammock when you lay down. If you can teach her to stay on the pad, she might even be able to snuggle up to you if you're hanging low enough.

Some folks bring the dog into the hammock with them, too...just depends on how comfortable you can sleep with the dog on you. Be careful of claws if you try this.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

Hammocking with a Dog

Give some thought to this option. This is a 35 pound English Springer Spaniel. She slept between my legs in a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock under a JRB No Sniveller quilt. She stuck her head out the No Sniveller head hole. Worked like a champ for us.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=2599

Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe the Hennessey is the problem, and I would have an excuse to try the top entry style hammocks. I've been happy with the Hennessey for a few years (I thought I was happy with my first alcohol stove, too) but add a dog and I'll need a few bandaids in the morning. I have to admit, the Warbonnet or the Bear Mountain Bridge would enable us to try both of your suggestions...

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    If your doing the gear hammock option my sugestion would be to see if your dog will sleep in it at home and get her use to it. If she gets acustom to it at home it wouldn't be a big change using it on the trail! If not I'd also try the other options at home to you really don't want to deal with teach your dog new tricks out on the trail, teach the tricks at home so your both comfortable and have great trips.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you go the gear hammock route realize your dog will require bottom and SIDE insulation just like you do, so add some to your plan.

There are three unstated beauties to Smee's rig above....First, because the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock is a lay flat, lay straight design his dog is not slammed into him like they would be in a gathered end hammock.... Second, he does not have to carry any extra stuff ( hammock or insulation) for his dog..... Third, extra body heat for each.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Thanks guys. I didn't think about insulation for the dog. So far, the Bear Mountain Bridge hammock solves all of the problems and stays lightweight. Santa was pretty good to me this year, so I'll have to put it in the gear budget.

This forum is amazing- in less than 12 hours on a holiday weekend problems get solved!

I switched to hammocking this year and always hike with my 80lb german shepherd. He used to sleep in the tent with me but now I just tie him to a tree (the one I tie my hammock to) and sleep in the hammock and let him chill on the ground.

Not to get all Cesar Milan but realistically as your dogs leader it's natural for you to have a different sleeping spot than it does. If you make the rope long enough the dog can always get up and smell you in the hammock and as others said you'll be able to pet it. Now if you just like sleeping with your dog that's a whole different ball game .

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    get down past single digits with a heat system like that in your hammock, lol!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Give some thought to this option. This is a 35 pound English Springer Spaniel. She slept between my legs in a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock under a JRB No Sniveller quilt. She stuck her head out the No Sniveller head hole. Worked like a champ for us.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=2599

nice setup!
    I'd use a dog as a foot warmer myself.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast