Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images

Cliamashield XP Quilt

I decided to try my hand at this sewing thing, so here's my first sewing project on my $54.00 brother from x-mart. I wanted a over quilt capable of 15 degree temps., but lighter than my 3 lb. 8oz bag I am using now for that temp. I used 2 layers of cliamashield xp 5 oz. The shell is 1.1 oz. ripstop seconds from Thru-hiker. The quilt itself is as basic as they come with no frills to save weight. At 48 in. x 72 in. it weighs in at 2lbs. 4ozs., a bit over my 2 lbs. target weight. I have tried it for a couple of hours at 32 degrees in a t-shirt and light trail pants and was way too hot. The loft is not less than 2.5 ins. anywhere and actually measures a bit over 5.5 ins. when doubled. It may not be pretty, but I think it will work.---John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smithobx; 12-23-2007 at 16:47.

wow. nice job. that should take you down to pretty cold temps.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    looks great! let us know how she does this winter. should do just fine.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    I decided to try my hand at this sewing thing, so here's my first sewing project on my $54.00 brother from x-mart. I wanted a over quilt capable of 15 degree temps., but lighter than my 3 lb. 8oz bag I am using now for that temp. I used 2 layers of cliamashield xp 5 oz. The shell is 1.1 oz. ripstop seconds from Thru-hiker. The quilt itself is as basic as they come with no frills to save weight. At 48 in. x 72 in. it weighs in at 2lbs. 4ozs., a bit over my 2 lbs. target weight. I have tried it for a couple of hours at 32 degrees in a t-shirt and light trail pants and was way too hot. The loft is not less than 2.5 ins. anywhere and actually measures a bit over 5.5 ins. when doubled. It may not be pretty, but I think it will work.---John
    That is exactly what I am working on with the same weight material. The only difference is that I am planning on a single layer. It makes me feel a lot better that yours is so great. Nice work!!

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

That quilt looks nice but I bet it'll pack rather large. A Moonbow Gearskin might be in order.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    That quilt looks nice but I bet it'll pack rather large. A Moonbow Gearskin might be in order.
    I was concerned about the bulk too, but it stuffs into a 9x19 sack. It will still fit my vapor trail pack but I would not recomend a quilt any thicker if you plan to pack it. Update: This climashield is pretty amazing stuff, I think it's actually lofted up a little more the last couple of days. -- John

good lookin quilt, im gonna make me one too i was thinking on those same lines as far as double layer of climashield. i was leaning more toward the climashield xp 5oz and then some of the clima combat

Quote Originally Posted by TIMfrom_indiana View Post
    good lookin quilt, im gonna make me one too i was thinking on those same lines as far as double layer of climashield. i was leaning more toward the climashield xp 5oz and then some of the clima combat
    Better yet, make one quilt with one layer of 5oz, then make another quilt with 2 layers.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Better yet, make one quilt with one layer of 5oz, then make another quilt with 2 layers.
    My wife jut finished my single layer quilt made with the 5 oz XP. I tested it shortly on my kids trampoline using a ccf pad on bottom. The temp was 27F, and I was fine. The XP is great stuff
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    My wife jut finished my single layer quilt made with the 5 oz XP. I tested it shortly on my kids trampoline using a ccf pad on bottom. The temp was 27F, and I was fine. The XP is great stuff
    How much lower do you think you could go with just the one layer of 5 oz xp, do you think you could go to 20 with out a hitch or would you have to wear more clothes, etc.?

I'm thinking of making a quilt and UQ out of this stuff but as I don't sleep out when its in the single digits 2 layers seems like over kill for my needs.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 12-29-2007 at 12:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast