WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain

Opinion on Winter Warmth

It's winter. It's cold, we all want to stay warm. I've been too cold a few times, but never too warm. I'd like to hike as light as possible, but don't want to make a mistake on gear. I'd like an opinion from experienced hangers on my winter hammock gear set up.. I'm in the midwest, mostly lows in single digits or a little higher. Here's what I have going: WBBB; Yeti UQ 3/4; Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad; an old section of a Zrest to cross diagonally at my feet; I do not have an overquilt, but normally carry a bag. Question- do I need my 0* down or can I get by with the 35* synthetic. Both are full side zips & I would just open up & use them as tops. I also own a pair of Mont Bell gd pants. So all things considered, can I get by without the 0*, which is so much more to carry.

I know this is ultimatly a personal decision, and likely there are many threads on similar topics, which I simply did not view.

Thanks for any input.
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Images
    I prefer to take gear rated 10 degree colder than the predicted lowest temp I will sleep in.
    I hate being cold and venting heat is so much better.
    hth

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Is it the winter Yeti?

What kind of down pants do you own?

What about a camp jacket?

I would play it safe and go with the 0*F down bag. Can you do some test hangs in the back yard or at a camp ground close to your car?

For camp clothes check out my latest video I go over that in detail in my snowshoeing trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mWPGg2LgcY

Be sure to make sure your feet and hands will stay warm as well. Those are the first areas to get cold and are tough to get warmed up again.
    Raul
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Temperature ratings on bags are nearly meaningless - I have a mont-bell 15 degree bag that's warmer than any 0 degree bag I've ever owned. By a large margin.

At the HF winter hang last weekend, it dropped to right around 15 degrees - I had my DIY underquilt, and the mont-bell 15 degree bag, and I was so overheated that I stripped down to nothing but my boxers inside of the bag.

Ten feet away from me, a friend was sleeping in her hammock with a 15 degree REI down bag and an exped downmat, and she was freezing.

For your first attempt, take the warmer bag - and by that, I mean whichever one is actually warmest, not whichever one has the better rating. If you get too hot in a bag, it's easy to vent. If you get too cold, you just suffer.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    You can always take a layer off ,but you can't add if you don't have it.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    No such thing as lightweight in winter got to stay warm or Die. that simple. Not trying to sound smart or to be arrogant.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    my winter weight without food and water is 12lbs 9oz ...i can be done
    but it will cost you and it's not something you just want to jump into

i don't carry alot of extra cloths ... since your moving most of the time you don't need alot of layers on to walk..only when you stop .. that is what works for me

it's hard to tell someone how to pack for a winter backpacking trip... everyone is different and not everyone will be warm with the same layers that will keep me warm so it's hard to tell you what will work

winter backpacking is one of those things that you really need to find what works for you ... do alot of backyard test befor you hit the trail

i do agree with OutandBack.... i take quilts that are rated lower then the temps they are calling for...if i need to i can sleep in all my layers
    but i like that piece of mind of knowing my quilts can handle the temps

i also agree with Fourdog ... if your not sure are new to winter backpacking take an extra layer ...if you don't need it oh well.. but you have it there if you do
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts