WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sorry - not to hijack anything but how does the SS compare to the yeti or incubator? Are there any outstanding advantages/disadvantages? I noticed the sale and some time ago had planned on the SS but since have moved to UQ's. However, this sale has my interest somewhat making an SS a possible consideration. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images

All in one sack

Quote Originally Posted by h4wk View Post
    I love my super shelter, but I've been racking my brain about everyone's comments about how frail the pad is and difficult to get back in the stuff sack. I have not encountered either of those problems. I've easily been able to roll and compress it to put it back in the stuff sack it came in. BUT...I do keep the undercover on the hammock and wrap them both in the snakeskins.
    Hey, don't worry about it if you are able to get 'er done! I have put the thing back in the original stuff sack, but it just seems like a lot of trouble. Plus, trying to get it rolled down tight enough does seem like a good chance to poke a hole. It is no doubt fragile, but it is also easily patched. And if you are careful enough you might not ever have to patch it. And I also like to stuff the pad in a separate sack and put the hammock and total SS in snake skins, plus separate skins for the tarp. That works good, and so does putting the entire kit and caboodle in one sack. But it works better with a hammock with net, holds everything together better:

This is a very heavy duty stuff sack, not lighter sil-nylon like I would use on a hike. Or use no stuff sack but just stuff it all in a pack. But with the heavy stuff sack, Explorer UL hammock, overcover, one space blanket, one pad plus one set of kidney/torso pads, one undercover, and finally one Golight Ultra 20 TQ the kit weighed 5 lbs 7 oz.

Finally got to some trees this afternoon rather than a stand, when I took my wife to see her Mom. But as soon as I got it out of the stuff sack and pitched and snuggled in to read, at a windy 30F ( I was warming right up even with out a tarp), it started snowing heavily. I had only been settled in a little while when the cell phone rang, my wife saying we better get on the road before the roads got too bad. But I was comfy while it lasted! Boy, I don't remember this many snow events in the deep south in my life:

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Thanks RWillieK! I was concerned that something (suspension, etc.) may have been lost in transit.
    Did you get your little mitten hooks with zip lock ties? If not, don't worry about it if you have an Explorer. I have not even put the zip locks/hooks on mine yet, I'm just hooking to the original Prussick hooks that came with my hammock. Actually, I added a little mini-biner or screw link, so it won't all come off the hooks when I stuff it in one sack.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-09-2011 at 19:10.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Did you get your little mitten hooks with zip lock ties? If not, don't worry about it if you have an Explorer. I have not even put the zip locks/hooks on mine yet, I'm just hooking to the original Prussick hooks that came with my hammock. Actually, I added a little mini-biner or screw link, so it won't all come off the hooks when I stuff it in one sack.
    Yup. They were in the stuff sack with the pad. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Std Expedition
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images
    I haven't used my zip ties yet either...I don't particularly care for the idea. I do like the mini-biner idea so I'll have to try that instead. Thanks.
    You are only lost if you have someplace else to be.

Supershelter on Symmetrical Hammock

Listen, I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I'm new to Hennessy. Anybody try using the supershelter on a non-Henn Hammock? I'm so in love with the supershelter, but a new hammock is not in the budget right now- I have the lower-tech double ENO.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by h4wk View Post
    I haven't used my zip ties yet either...I don't particularly care for the idea. I do like the mini-biner idea so I'll have to try that instead. Thanks.
    Your welcome. Yep, several years ago, when I 1st started stuffing the entire kit(except tarp) all into one stuff sack, it didn't take long to discover that every thing came off of the Prussic(SP?) hooks and would all be sagged as far as possible towards the hammock middle when I tied tight to the trees. Then that was at least a slight hassle trying to get pad and under cover pulled back into correct position again on both ends.

It does add a small bit of weight. Actually, I have always used the smallest screw link I could find at Harbor Freight. I have just never bothered to change it out to a mini-biner, which would save a gram or 20.

I love snake skins. So I kind of go back and forth between the pack up methods. I have remove pad and top quilt and put them in a separate stuff sack. Then just quickly slip the hammock into one set of skins and the tarp into another. But I guess the all in one stuff sack(or pack) is actually quicker both on breaking camp and setting up. Both approaches work good and either is quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackfarm View Post
    Listen, I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I'm new to Hennessy. Anybody try using the supershelter on a non-Henn Hammock? I'm so in love with the supershelter, but a new hammock is not in the budget right now- I have the lower-tech double ENO.
    At least one person has fitted it to the WBBB. There is no way to say for the ENO- especially a double- except to try. The ENO is both longer and wider than even an Explorer, which is the largest SS (#2 ). I know HH does not recommend trying to put a SS on the big HH Safari. I can see where if the hammock is too long it might over stretch some part of the SS. You could fudge a bit by rigging up some longer elastic cord to go from the end channels towards the hammock a few inches. But, I wouldn't think you could go more than a few inches, because when you lay in the hammock it will put some spreading force on those hammock ends- you know, it tends to open up the entire hammock- hard to put in words. And who knows if that would put excessive force on the UC and OC which are wrapped around the hammock ends?

Know way to know except to very carefully try it. I would think mis-matched length would be a bigger problem than width.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-10-2011 at 09:57.

you sure Bill, I thought the Eno's were 8'.. I'm almost positive they're shorter than a WBBB at 10' and the biggest HH is 9'.. longest rather... I've been considering giving mine a go on the ENO instead of the Traveler... I don't like the idea that it's geared toward using on one specific hammock, whatever one you attach all the clips to.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I don't like the idea that it's geared toward using on one specific hammock....
    Is the concept of the HH SS copyrighted?
    Would HH ever consider a "universal supershelter"?
    I've also pondered the "generic undercover/overcover" idea for other gathered end hammocks.

I have an Explorer Deluxe that I've never taken out yet, but I'm just too cheap to buy the SS just for this one hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    you sure Bill, I thought the Eno's were 8'.. I'm almost positive they're shorter than a WBBB at 10' and the biggest HH is 9'.. longest rather... I've been considering giving mine a go on the ENO instead of the Traveler... I don't like the idea that it's geared toward using on one specific hammock, whatever one you attach all the clips to.
    No, I'm not sure at all. I thought ENOs were 10 feet long, but I don't have one so....... might be wrong!

No, I'm not sure at all. I thought ENOs were 10 feet long, but I don't have one so....... might be wrong!
    When I was checking out the lengths before I was about to buy the SS and I'm pretty sure the ENO was 8' for 8 and change, so hypothetically it SHouLD work on the smaller eno as you wont put undue stress on it, like I think the BB will. In all honesty though, after trying out an UQ I think Imight sell the SS before it's used to keep it's value and put it towards another UQ so I have one for myself and whoever I drag out with me. Maybe I'll go with a TQ instead and just be selfish I dunno yet.

I'm sure they were great for HH but I'm not sure I wanna start the hassle of converting it and not be satisfied with it and at this point I KNOW that I like Stormcrows quilts and that they fit.. gotta couple other pieces of gear I'm going to try sellin' on here shortly, maybe I'll get enough for another quilt, we'll see. I know you're a leading supporter of the HHSS Bill, feel like I"m lettin' ya down a lil bit

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast