Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings

Post Claytor Spreader Bars

Hi,

I just finished making a pair of spreader bars for my Claytor Jungle Hammock. I am posting here because the technique could apply to other hammocks (or other projects).

I measured the full extension of the mosquito net tabs on the top of the Jungle Hammock to be 450mm. Initially I used a very long bamboo chopstick, but I really wanted something that would work but would pack up small (at least as small as my tent pegs).

As you can see from the pictures, I have made a pair of collapsible spreaders. They are made from 8mm diameter aluminium tubing with 1mm wall thickness. For each spreader I cut three pieces 150mm long (6 pieces total). To make the joints I cut 4 pieces of 6mm diameter tubing (with 1mm wall thickness) 30mm long (8 pieces total). The 6mm tube is a snug fit inside the 8mm tube.

I filed and smoothed the inside and outside of the ends of each piece so that they wouldn't cut anything or cause great wear, then I used epoxy to glue the small pieces into the ends of the bigger tubes. Two pieces stick out of the ends by 15mm each. The other two pieces are pushed inside by 6mm.

When the epoxy was cured I trimmed the excess and threaded 2.5mm elastic cord through the middle and tied a knot at each end. The 'inside' pieces prevent the knot from going through, and the knot sits in the 6mm recess. (The first photos show reflective elastic cord, but I changed that for plain black elastic cord).

So, when folded, the spreader bars are shorter than the tent pegs I have, and fit nicely in the small bag that is included with the Jungle Hammock. When you take them out the elastic makes them snap together into a 450mm long 8mm diameter spreader bar. Together they weigh 62g (31g each). My tent pegs weigh 24g (12g each).

Obviously you can make different lengths or different numbers of sections. Hope it is interesting/useful to some.

A
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ame; 12-31-2007 at 02:09. Reason: Included the weight.

Sweeeet. I must give that a go in carbon fibre.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    First - brilliant idea AME! Has Tom contacted you yet to make em for all his hammocks?

Where did you buy the tubing? I'm wondering if the same think could be done for bridge hammock spreaders with bigger tubing. Yeah ZDP, I wonder if you can buy carbon fiber tubing with diameters that fit like that (nest inside one another? And I just got done sewing stuff for my hiking poles for my bridge spreader (duohhh!), it could have been a lot simpler with a system like your using.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i took a alumnum arrow shaft and made a pair of spreaders for my claytor
    1 shaft makes a pair.i made them 14 inches in length. neo

plus my mine are camo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Very nice. I will have to make a pair very soon. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    Hi all,

Thanks for the positive responses. Neo, it was your idea that inspired me, but we don't have Wal*Mart here (yet), and I can't get camo-painted tubing anyway.

I bought the tubing from the DIY/Craft section of a local 'everything' store called Tokyu Hands. They do sell literally everything. Believe it or not the easiest bit was getting the tubing cut- you get the stock tube from the shelf (pre-cut in 1m or 300mm lengths) then take it to the in-store machine shop. Draw a quick sketch of how you want the stock cut and they do it in about 20 minutes for about 50 cents per cut. Saved me a lot of fiddling around.

You might find similar tubing in Ace Hardware or a model shop. Use your best judgement to decide what size/thickness you need.

In my design I have made the 'joint' pieces smaller than the 'main' pieces, but you might like to make the joint pieces with a larger diameter, so that they form a sleeve at the joint. You could use thin-walled steel here, since each joint piece is quite short, so the weight is not an issue. I have a set tent poles that are like this- fibreglass tubes with elastic down the middle and 1" pieces of metal sleeve to locate and reinforce the joints. Of course, if you had a lathe...

Again, it's a simple idea and not exactly ground-breaking, but I like to make things and I am very pleased that this forum exists for demonstrating and discussing them.

Happy New Year all,

A

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Hi,

I just finished making a pair of spreader bars for my Claytor Jungle Hammock. I am posting here because the technique could apply to other hammocks (or other projects).

For each spreader I cut three pieces 150mm long (6 pieces total). To make the joints I cut 4 pieces of 6mm diameter tubing (with 1mm wall thickness) 30mm long (8 pieces total).

A
    I have a carbon arrow that I would like to cut to length to be a spreader for my JH when it arrives. The arrow is 25.8 inches (724 mm)
    What is the process to cut a carbon fiber tube? How long to be effect spreaders?
    Thanks for you input

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    It sounds like a good idea, but I guess I’m just too simple. I just cut two sticks to the proper lengths and used them.

Doh! I may have just lost my membership to the DIY club.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Hi,

I measured the full extension of the mosquito net tabs on the top of the Jungle Hammock to be 450mm. Initially I used a very long bamboo chopstick, but I really wanted something that would work but would pack up small (at least as small as my tent pegs).

As you can see from the pictures, I have made a pair of collapsible spreaders. They are made from 8mm diameter aluminium tubing with 1mm wall thickness. For each spreader I cut three pieces 150mm long (6 pieces total). To make the joints I cut 4 pieces of 6mm diameter tubing (with 1mm wall thickness) 30mm long (8 pieces total). The 6mm tube is a snug fit inside the 8mm tube.

I filed and smoothed the inside and outside of the ends of each piece so that they wouldn't cut anything or cause great wear, then I used epoxy to glue the small pieces into the ends of the bigger tubes. Two pieces stick out of the ends by 15mm each. The other two pieces are pushed inside by 6mm.

When the epoxy was cured I trimmed the excess and threaded 2.5mm elastic cord through the middle and tied a knot at each end. The 'inside' pieces prevent the knot from going through, and the knot sits in the 6mm recess. (The first photos show reflective elastic cord, but I changed that for plain black elastic cord).

So, when folded, the spreader bars are shorter than the tent pegs I have, and fit nicely in the small bag that is included with the Jungle Hammock. When you take them out the elastic makes them snap together into a 450mm long 8mm diameter spreader bar. Together they weigh 62g (31g each). My tent pegs weigh 24g (12g each).

Obviously you can make different lengths or different numbers of sections. Hope it is interesting/useful to some.

A
    I made a set after checking out yours. They are pretty much the same. I did find some little plastic end caps for that finished touch look. Most hardware stores carry them. They also protect the hammock etc. They are one of my favorite DIY items....well....that and my underquilt. Thanks for the idea.

Miguel

• + New Posts