WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    NICE trip! I hung near there last summer - off route 112. If you guys plan another hang, give a shout! (although I am right now packing-up my HH Exped to ship off to 2QzQ for a Mod4, so it may be a coupla weeks). Either way, we are gathering enough hangers/hikers in New England and environs now to plan some some group hangs this year!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Thanks for posting these pics guys they brought back great memories. i worked for the Forest Service in White Mnt National forest in the '90 s
    I helped build the lincon center and the log privy in the parkinglot. the pics were great and i am glad you enjoyed the wilderness area.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    If you guys plan another hang, give a shout! (although I am right now packing-up my HH Exped to ship off to 2QzQ for a Mod4, so it may be a coupla weeks).
    John and I talked about this. Both of us missed out on the Grout Pond Hang...

My preference in the spring/summer/fall is a 3-6 hour hike and then setting up in the woods as opposed to car camping at a campground. I don't want to be exhausted at the end of the day but my trips are about being in the woods and getting some exercise so I hang in order to hike more [if that makes sense]. The final hiking distance is also a function of elevation gain and my conditioning at the time of the hike. Working on the last one.

Of course the winter is a different story and I am totally in sync with car camping in order to test out gear in a safe manner.
    Last edited by tjm; 01-24-2011 at 21:38.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great trip report! I love the White Mountains and winter is my favorite time to be out in them! I really enjoyed your pictures. Job well done

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote:
    Wow, good one! Sounds like maybe a good vent hole above your head would help out. Wonder though how that would effect the temp dif?

Reply:
    Not sure about the venting, I'm going to try keeping the top cover maybe about 20% pulled open next time. Under the closed tarp, that might help with condensation, but still be pretty warm. (I forgot to take the rain fly) I had a silnylon cover velcro'd around the top rim of the HH SS, and it was probably sealed too much. The insulated over cover was ABOVE that. I have used the completely breathable overcover before, and I think it soaked up and retained the condensation. A sealed in hammock is probably not a working idea. (sealed but with breathing vents I mean) But, a colder temperature inside the hammock would be preferable to any wet spots on the sleeping bag. (there was only the one, about the size of a saucer plate) The bag dried out quickly hung over the couch at home, but, it's still not fluffed up completely like it was orignally even after a lot of primping and tugging. May take it to a laundry mat dryer. The bag also may have gotten wet when I got up in the morning to eat, left it inside, and it wound up pressed against a wet area of the bug net. The UNDER COVER system was NOT wet. Lesson: get the bag out of the hammock in the morning, quick. (DUH) I did not notice any wettness at night or when I awoke.

Quote:
    Was the weather calm and without wind? Could there have been an inversion? Once it was minus 23 at my house in Flagstaff, AZ but only minus 16 at the ski resort 2500 feet higher.

Reply:
    There was not even a breeze. The digital thermometers did not agree, I will need to invest in a more professional one, ie. some good ones are suggested here on HF.The $6 thermometer/humidity device from WM did make for some interesting observations on outside humidity and inside. It updates very quickly, but, the temperature display would only show 14 degrees no matter what, though it would come UP in temperature. Not sure if it actually did register a colder temperature, the buttons would not function.

Incidently, an over cover which attachs solidly to the HH SS under cover has to be cut WAY BIGGER than the actual measurements of the bug net, because that bug net stretches out A LOT when you sit up inside and lean back to get in, and when I put the DIY cover on the first time, cut to the bug net measurements I could not sit up, it was too tight.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

linclon woods trailhead

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
    Thanks for posting these pics guys they brought back great memories. i worked for the Forest Service in White Mnt National forest in the '90 s
    I helped build the lincon center and the log privy in the parkinglot. the pics were great and i am glad you enjoyed the wilderness area.
    Well, you did a beautiful job. That is a great place to park and get oriented. The volunteer ranger was very helpful. That heated restroom must be a refuge sometimes for cold wet hikers. Wish it had a HOT AIR hand dryer though.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12