Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Has minus 27 record been broken?

There has been some serious winter hanging this year, and there is still plenty of time for more.

But, just wondering-- just for fun-- what is the current (known) low temp record? Of course, there is much more to it than just temp. Wind, snow(and at lessor but still challenging temps, rain/snow/sleet/humidity). These things can be the end of you without even having below zero temps. Still, what temps have been the max? And maybe as a secondary question, what has been your most challenging hanging conditions all things considered? (EDIT: wind chill can be a real killer, a separate factor from official record lows. But probably even more deadly as it might even blow your tarp down)

I remember a couple of years ago or so, Shug(with down UQs and pads?) and kwpapke with a way augmented HHSS did either minus 26 or 27.

Has any one beat, or matched, that yet? If not, I bet some one will this winter. I'm sure this year some one has already been very close

I'll start just for laughs, as I have not been out of the deep and non-mountainous south for hammock hangs, at least not in winter:
    My personal record is +10 on 2 different occasions. First with a 20F Speer Pea Pod over a Speer 8.5, space blanket on inside bottom, and a summer weight TQ on top in the pod, plus some warm clothing. Did fine. Just OK, not particularly warm, but not cold. Actually warm for the last couple of hours after I closed the pod all the way. No noticeable condensation except occasional- when on my back with a good size vent right over my face- my breath would freeze and fall back into the vent onto my face, sometimes waking me up.

The other time with a JRB MW4 and nothing else under a BMBH, on top fair amount of warm clothing inside of a Golight ultra 20 TQ, and a cap, neck gator and jacket hood. Just fine most of the night, but barely warm enough by about 0400 or so. Had a ton of condensation around the neck area of the TQ. Changed to a 5F hooded Polarguard bag and was toasty warm until get up time.

How about you other guys- what is your record, and what is THE record?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-24-2011 at 09:19.

• + New Posts