Thread: Winter Camporee

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    I understood snow caves to be dug into a hillside or area where snow had already dumped by mother nature and quinzees to be shoveled snow on top of gear.
    Yes, that is the difference - piling the snow causes the snow to sinter so that it will hold the shape of the shell after the snow is dug out. Quinzees tend to be larger inside as well. Probably due to the more stable shell.

We didn't have the right conditions for true snow caves.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Maybe yes, maybe no but my travel agent says a two night minimum is required to build a quinzee. Warm, quiet (to an eerie point) but a lot of shoveling. We built one last year that stood up to the Scoutmaster and five scouts standing on it. It took a stomp job to break it down.
    The building of the quinzee probably takes 3-5 hours depending on the size, snow condition, and amount of help available. It does need to sit for a 1-2 hours between piling the snow and digging it out. The big disadvantage is the amount of snow being moved - piling, digging out, clearing from the area. I don't think one person could realistically build one.

However, in a backwoods situation, I wouldn't build one unless it was an emergency or I was planning on using a base camping for several days. It is a lot of work. For a long stay it could be worth it.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Loved the report. Miss the scouts! I felt sorry for all of those in tent city!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    We had our Winter Camporee this past weekend also in Central Indiana. About 20 troops there and I was the only Hammock. It got down into the Mid twenties, I was a little cold Friday night. Had a gap under my underquilt tightened it up Saturday was plenty warm, nice to spend time with the Ground dwellers on occasion.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    From the pictures it looks like the REI Taj is a very popular tent with your scouts. That's what I've been using for the last 4-5 years. Great tent. Now that I've discovered the hammock, mine won't get used as much, but I'll keep it around for those times when I must ground dwell.
    I did a Yellowstone Institute snow ecology class a few years back, and we built a Quinzee. It was fun, but like you said ...... a lot of work. Looks like your scouts had a great time, and learned some fun outdoor winter skills. Any time you can get a kid into the wilderness and away from the video games is time well spent.
    KJ

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Thanks for the comments, the boys had a great time.

The troop found the Taj tents on sale a few years ago and the troop picked up 5 of them. They work well as they will hold 3 young scouts or 2 older. Eventhough they are pretty heavy, they can be divided up amongst several boys for backpacking.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Nice job and a great weekend for you guys. Thanks for the report.
    We had our 31st annual "Father-Son Freeze-Out" the same weekend here in SE Georgia. We only got to 23F on Saturday night - no snow thankfully. 627 scouts and scouters in attendance - it was crowded, but all had a great time.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12