Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Is IX down-proof?

This may have been discussed before, but in a quick search I couldn't find it. Is IX down-proof? Has anyone tried making IX shell down-filled UQ or TQ? Wouldn't that provide the ultimate in weatherproof lightweight insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    This may have been discussed before, but in a quick search I couldn't find it. Is IX down-proof? Has anyone tried making IX shell down-filled UQ or TQ? Wouldn't that provide the ultimate in weatherproof lightweight insulation?
    You could contact Stormcrow, in one of Shug's vids Stormcrow had a prototype summer UQ that had rip-stop on one-side and IX on the other with down in-between the two! Not sure on the outcome of it though!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good thought - I remember seeing that vid. I wonder how that turned out? I wonder if there would be a reason not to make the whole shell out of IX? I guess the argument could be made that the IX shell might reflect enough of your body heat that you wouldn't effectively be able to warm the down with body heat? However, I've read that some put a IX layer between hammock and UQ - seems like a IX shelled UQ would essentially be the same? Plus, the weatherproofyness (is that a word?) of the IX should prevent most if not all rain/dew/condensation from wetting the down. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    To my way of thinking, IX and down are a good match, but not when stitched together.

I've had great results supplementing down with IX on the outside and the inside. You have to be careful about condensation with IX on the outside, although I've never had a problem with it.

However, IX as a covering for down is not such a good idea. IX doesn't breath well enough to fully enclose down. Also, IX does not pack nearly as well as down; they pack much better separately.

Now, IX integrated with another synthetic insulation is a different story. IX plus Climashield is a great combination!

IX between the layers of a double layer hammock doesn't work well because the IX becomes compressed.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts