What is needed for a hammock?

I am new here and to hammock camping and backpacking. I received an Eagles Nest hammock as a gift and have used it a few times. I do like the idea of making my setup lighter but I am not clear on exactly what I need regarding the Whoopie set-ups?

I need to eliminate the heavy rope at the ends and even heavier Pro Straps? Can someone advise exactly what I need? Thanks for any advice. Danny

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hey Danny, If you get rid of the ropes and hook on the end of your ENO and replace them with whoopie slings it will allow you to have adjustability with ease. One end of the whoopie is a non adjustable loop that you would feed through the end channel and feed the remaining whoopie through that loop once it comes through the other end(larkshead) The other adjujstable end can be attached to your tree straps in a number of ways, the most common being a carabiner. Search the threads you'll find lots of pics and info. Have fun!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You will hear this answer many times here, and at first it will probably be a little bit frustrating: it's all up to you. Everyone's setup is a little different.

If you want to go with a whoopie sling system, there are a few things you need.

Whoopie Slings: the obvious one. They can be girth hitched through the end channels on the ENO.

Tree Huggers: These protect the tree from harm. They usually consist of two pieces of webbing with a loop on one end. They are usually between 4 and 8 feet long (or so).

Toggles (optional): You can bring toggles for the marlin-spike hitch on the tree huggers, or you can use sticks found on the ground. The only rule for these are that they need to be able to resist compression forces.

Carabiners/Dutch Clips (optional): to attach the tree hugger around the tree, you can thread the webbing through the loop on the end, or you can use a climbing rated carabiner to attach them. You can also use a Dutch Clip, a lightweight alternative made specifically for tree huggers.

I use whoopie slings, too long tree huggers (that I'll cut down soon), carabiners (prefer the versatility) and I use a cylindrical metal whistle and a cut down nail for my toggles.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Welcome Danny. I think all of our setups are constantly evolving so, as JCINMA said, it's all up to you. Both JC and Ham offer great advice and if you follow it, you'll have exactly what you need. With some searching on here you'll find your own hang. There are a lot of posts about the Eagles Nest Outfitter hammocks (and a whole slew of others) on here so dig in and get ready to learn.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    1. get the slings from hammock gear (I just like adam)
    2. attach to hammock
    3. tree straps
    4. biners (I like camp nano 23g biner)

you can buy a whole set up at the jacks web site now also.

Thank you!

Thanks to all for your assistance in the Whoopie Sling selection! Danny

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Hey Danny, If you get rid of the ropes and hook on the end of your ENO and replace them with whoopie slings it will allow you to have adjustability with ease. One end of the whoopie is a non adjustable loop that you would feed through the end channel and feed the remaining whoopie through that loop once it comes through the other end(larkshead) The other adjujstable end can be attached to your tree straps in a number of ways, the most common being a carabiner. Search the threads you'll find lots of pics and info. Have fun!

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    Prof. Hammock's videos (Grizz Adams) are outstanding on hammock suspension options. I decided I liked the whoopie sling, tree straps with toggle and marlin spike hitch, but couldn't quite get it until Shug did the hitch in "slow mo." Hilarious, and great instruction. BTW, my son prefers the straps and cinch buckles from AHE. I think you will be happiest if you try something new at least once a year! Or at least the cottage industry suppliers you find here will be happy! Enjoy

• + New Posts