WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Warbonnet Traveler questions from a newbie

Hi all, this is my first post on Hammock Forums! I decided to give hammocking a try after I realized that I like everything about backpacking except sleeping on the uncomfortable ground. So after much research, I ordered myself a Warbonnet Traveler. I'm 5'6'' and 160 lbs so I went with the single layer, 1.1 oz version.

Well after an anxious waiting period, it arrived yesterday! I set it up between the only two possible trees in my backyard, trying to get that 30 degree angle in the suspension I've read so much about and a bendable but not tight ridgeline. I set up one end a couple inches higher than the other. Everything looks good from my perspective, however, when laying on the diagonal, my head has no support. The fabric on the side of the hammock my head is on is completely loose for about a foot width-wise so my head just kind of rolls out. And the fabric down the middle of the hammock is really taught. The loose fabric on the side is a problem no matter which diagonal I used (I tried all 4).

Is this normal or am I missing something? Any thoughts on what to try? Am I going "too diagonal"? After work today, I'm going to try hanging it with more sag and a looser ridgeline. I'll try to take some pictures too if I still can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance every one - these forums and the videos posted by its members have already been very helpful!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmmm...if you have a ridge down the middle, it sounds as though your rig may be slung "too tight" with the suspension at too shallow an angle. Your check on this (when you're in the hammock), is that the ridgeline should be bendable (a bit) and not "guitar-string" tight. (Note: you test this while lying in the hammock!).

Try adjusting your setup to raise the tree strap connection points higher.

An additional note: you will probably find that having the foot end of the hammock be 6-8 inches higher than the head end will be more satisfactory. It will help to keep you more centered (end-to-end-wise) on the hammock.

When I am in my Traveler, I find that I initially have to be very intentional about getting diagonal enough...sorta going diagonal a bit more than feels normal. I'm 6'5" tall, though, so you and I will almost certainly have a different experience!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Re: Traveler Hang

Well I tried several different hangs this afternoon - I tried making the strap angles higher, making my ridgeline shorter, setting one end higher than the other, and laying at different diagonals - and they all seemed pretty similar. Everything feels pretty good except there's still a taught section that runs down under my neck, leaving the fabric under my head completely loose.

I attached some pics from my most comfortable hang. My hand is showing the taught section of fabric in the 2nd pic. Is there anything I should try changing? I'm definitely ordering some whoopie slings soon - my fingers are tired after tying and untying so many knots! Should have gotten the adjustable webbing suspension...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I had the same issue when I had my DL 1.7 traveler. I used to just adjust my lay a little less diagonal so my head stayed on the taut portion. I would have thought that it would not happen with a SL 1.1.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I do not have a traveler but I find that I am more comfortable with a small pillow in any of the hammocks I use.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Beep offers some good tips. Also for me for some reason I am more comfortable with my feet to left and head to the right in the Traveler.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    After more than a year, and multiple trysts, I have yet to fall in love with my Traveler. Some things just don't work out.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    After more than a year, and multiple trysts, I have yet to fall in love with my Traveler. Some things just don't work out.
    I do agree. I liked my traveler but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I sold it for that reason. Keep trying but if it does not work out, then maybe look at another option. Certainly if you want a bugnet check out a Blackbird. No issues getting comfy in one of those.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Its takes time man, took me atleast 6-8 times before I got an amazing lay.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Its takes time man, took me atleast 6-8 times before I got an amazing lay.
    Do you remember anything in particular that you changed to make it work?

I can't figure out why the head side is so floppy. It seems that in many hammock pictures, the sides of the hammock kind of wrap up around the user, but for me, the hammock just goes flat/limp on the side leaving my head to fall out of the hammock. I'll keep trying things tomorrow, but it seems no matter how I hang it, I have the same problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast