Hammock
    Blackbird dl1.0
    Tarp
    12' GG
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing

Do you put any insulation in the double "pocket"?

I just ordered a 1.0 double from Brandon. I've been trying to do some searches but have found spotty information. What are you guys using for insulation between the layers in a double BB? I've seen some say the blue closed cell foam or slightly deflated air pad.

Does it stay in place?

Is it comfortable?

I doubt I will be using it for anything less that 40 degrees or so, so the insulation factor isn't REAL important, or is it?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Clo-z-nuff View Post
    I just ordered a 1.0 double from Brandon. I've been trying to do some searches but have found spotty information. What are you guys using for insulation between the layers in a double BB? I've seen some say the blue closed cell foam or slightly deflated air pad.
    I use a deflated Therma-A-Rest pad.

Does it stay in place?
    Yes, very well.

Is it comfortable?
    Yes, but an under-quilt is even comfier.

I doubt I will be using it for anything less that 40 degrees or so, so the insulation factor isn't REAL important, or is it?
    Because you lose heat above and below most people need something under them in any temps under 70F.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Grey 3/16" 20" wide fairly sticky closed cell foam pads from Canadian Tire (Broadstone is the make), that i have been told are similar to evazote pads, available in US (from Gossamer Gear if i recall correctly).

I'm not a DIY guy and don't have the skills or patience to make a beautiful Segmented Pad Extender like you'll find on Sergeant Rock's site or Just Jeff's site. I just took two full length 20" wide pads and cut one in half length wise and made shoulder extensions (for a total width at shoulders of 40") and a foot box side section (like a wall on the right side of footbox) and then just duct taped the whole thing together. Ugly as sin. Put it in between layers and then noticed where it had creased, and cut darts there to help with the fit. Trimmed away sections that my body never touched.

It worked fine for summer afternoons down to about 12 or 13c (about 55 F I guess). ( Below that i think you'd have to go another layer thick. I bought an extra (third!) pad just in case i decide to try that.) I found it cozy and comfortable. I think thicker stiffer pads would likely be more uncomfortable. It was hell getting it into place, because it was in a rolled-up shape, but once in the right place and slept on for a few minutes (i.e., warmed up) it didn't seem to slip.

I have since switched to an underquilt just because i wanted to play around and had some extra cash available. Haven't tried quilt yet, as it is a summer model. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I used to use a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus in the beginning. I semi-inflated it and pushed it between the layers of my WBBB. It did not move up or down, but I always managed to move it left or right when rolling around in the hammock., which was annoying.

I actually liked the feeling of the Therm-a-Rest in the hammock. Bit like a waterbed but better. The pad was also super warm. But as with all pads in the hammock, I had the problem with the cold sides. Pads are simply too narrow to cover your back and shoulders. I used to solve this by putting a much wider silver foam pad (the real cheap ones) underneath the Therm-a-Rest. It's by far not warm enough, but it was usually enough for the shoulders during the summer months.

I upgraded to an underquilt, which is much better suited to hammocking.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I have used my Exped pad, CCF, a mylar blanket and Insul-Bright. I prefer the Insul-Bright because I don't get as sweaty as I do with the other stuff. It also adds quite a bit of insulation to my three season gear. The foam also doesn't seem to fold around my feet as well and since that is mt biggest problem in the cold weather, I like anything that will help that area.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Blackbird dl1.0
    Tarp
    12' GG
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing
    So for those of you who use an underquilt, you don't put anything between the layers of the hammock? Do you just lay directly on the hammock material?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So for those of you who use an underquilt, you don't put anything between the layers of the hammock? Do you just lay directly on the hammock material?

Yes, that is correct. The simplicity of the UQ is what makes is so elegant, imo. You will hear of folks putting thin impermeable vapor barriers in between the hammock and the UQ, but that's a somewhat "advanced" topic.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

Yep, I lay right on the hammock material and put the under quilts UNDER the hammock.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Blackbird dl1.0
    Tarp
    12' GG
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing
    It sounds like I could try a pad, spend the next few months and spend $100 or so and dink around with 50 different designs and tweaks, never be totally happy...or I could get a UQ.

Off to Wal-mart to get a blue pad.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    1-What are you guys using for insulation between the layers in a double BB? I've seen some say the blue closed cell foam or slightly deflated air pad.

2-Does it stay in place?

3-Is it comfortable?

4-I doubt I will be using it for anything less that 40 degrees or so, so the insulation factor isn't REAL important, or is it?

Thanks!
    1-I've tried the blue pads and my Big Agness Primaloft inflatable (partially inflated).

2-Between the dbl layers they moved around too much.

3-No.

4-It is very important at 70 to 40 degrees (and certainly lower). Try it all in your backyard before the wilds.

My take? Spend in incriments for pads etc or simply spend in one lump and buy an UQ. I did not like the feel of pads and so bought an UQ asap. I ain't looking back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast