Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Water resistant/proof UQ

Has anyone made a down UQ with a water resistant/proof exterior shell? I know IX is waterproof, and there are weathershields, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything with down. Maybe coated ripstop or even sil for the shell? I'm thinking this might allow the warmth of down, without being concerned about water, and not having to carry an extra piece for a sheild. We get some mighty rainstorms here...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    While searching for other topics, I came across several threads that I would be hard pressed to find again that discussed this very idea. warbonnetguy and GrizzlyAdams both discussed experimenting with a silnylon shell for a down underquilt. The biggest issues were: silnylon acting as a vapor barrier, how to air out the UQ if the whole thing is constructed from silnylon (they had very ingenious venting ideas), and a few others that elude my memory at the moment.

Those were older threads, if I remember correctly. Haven't seen much on it recently.

~Dan

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    If only the exterior shell is waterproof then you could have serious problems with condensation of the moisture let out by your body. If both inner and outer shell are waterproof then you'd prevent the moisture from even entering the UQ, which I think could be the way to go.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

UQ venting

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Has anyone made a down UQ with a water resistant/proof exterior shell? I know IX is waterproof, and there are weathershields, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything with down. Maybe coated ripstop or even sil for the shell? I'm thinking this might allow the warmth of down, without being concerned about water, and not having to carry an extra piece for a sheild. We get some mighty rainstorms here...

Yes, my UQ is made with waterproof material, it lofts just fine every time, and I have no vents what so ever. (after all, it does hang down)

If it did get wet, it would dry out at room temperature, or by clothes dryer. But, out in cold weather, any item is a problem to dry out.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Unsponsored has sold a few in the UK with waterproof pertex, but I recall all of his being made with pertex of some kind. My UQ is made from water resistant pertex and I have 3 more being marked out now. It sheds rain well, but is still light and highly breathable. I think a few on here use dwr treated UQ's and Tim from Enlightened equipment makes Cuben quilts.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hammock Gear's UQs are make with 1.1 oz DWR on the exterior...I'm new to this, so I don't know how much weather resistance this will impart...however, sounds like a good balance between repelling water and breath-ability...

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've heard that some down sleeping bags are made with a water resistant shell, but I'm not sure what material they use. I can't think of a reason a waterproof fabric would affect the insulating qualities of the down, since thermal transfer should still work just as well through most fabrics, even if coated, and as long as it was a thin flexible material it should allow the down to loft as well as any other. Since moisture kills the insulating properties of down, I would think having a full shell of water resistant/proof material would be the rule and not the exception? Maybe there's something I'm missing?

I'm looking into the future at my UQ/TQ projects and I know water resistance is something I would like to have in addition to the down. Pertex and cuben sound interesting (if expensive). Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I'm looking into the future at my UQ/TQ projects and I know water resistance is something I would like to have in addition to the down.
    With you on that one Meteor
    Last edited by turnerminator; 01-27-2011 at 13:39.

• + New Posts