HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Yeti/Mamba or Phoenix/Burro, help me decide

I've read all the great reviews for both sets, and am currently undecided. I will be going with 3-season quilts for my camping needs because the absolute coldest I'll be camping is probably around 15* and I can supplement with worn layers if needed. A 2/3 length UQ will be fine as I carry a sit pad I can use under my legs. What I'd really like to hear are any shortcomings or complaints people have had about these quilts at all. It seems pretty hard to find anything bad said about either set, and that goes a long way. Pricewise they are within a couple dollars of each other, and seem to be great quality. I'm sure I'll be happy either way I go, but I'd just like a little feedback before I pull the trigger on such a big ticket item. Before anyone suggests it, I'd love to have the JRB quilts as an option also, but I'm already exceeding my original budget, and they are an additional $100. I was originally looking at the AHE Lost River and Owyhee, but I've upped my budget a bit for the packability and light weight of down quilts.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    this is just my 2 cents:

if you care more about weight than warmth the answer is the warbonnet pairing...
    if you care about warmth more than weight the answer is the hammockgear pairing...

warbonnet has starting making things overseas and is no longer a totally "made in the usa" gear guy. not either of his quilts (as far as i know), but some things are. so that's something to consider if it's a priority of yours...

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Get HammockGear's top quilt if you need to vent your feet. Warbonnet only makes a completely sewn footbox. In the summertime you would wish you had some way to vent your feet.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    warbonnet has starting making things overseas and is no longer a totally "made in the usa" gear guy. not either of his quilts (as far as i know), but some things are. so that's something to consider if it's a priority of yours...
    If you're going to repeat that, use facts.

He had one trial run of tarps made offshore. And they were announced in advance and labeled on his site. He stated clearly that no other products were involved.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i am using facts. warbonnet.com clearly has a number of items for sale in his store right now that are manufactured "overseas" as marked by an (i)

i don't know what you are implying.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeti/Mamba is 12.5/19.0oz, and Phoenix/Burrow is 15.7/20.1oz. So a claimed 4.3oz difference, and the Hammock Gear is rated at 15* where the War Bonnet is 20*. Good point on the footbox as well. Shipped prices to me are $431 and $428. Right now I'm thinking I'll take the Hammock Gear and not carry that quarter pounder with me I had planned on.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I can not really help you with this but I have the 3 season crowsnest/phoenix and I gotta say it is unbelieveable. I love it. Craftminship is amazing. I am a huge fan of the 3/4 for 3 season. At 5'8" I can sleep in a fetal like position and the 3/4 covers my whole body. I also love how high it comes up on the on the sides. It really helps with warmth and I don't have to be so careful moving around in my hammock.

I think I would like the the 2/3 for summer though.

As far as servive they're both beyond amazing. I do have to say Adam helped me out A LOT when first getting into hammocking and needing a UQ very bad, probably the nicest thing anyones ever done. Brandon also has wonderful customer service.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Obviously the biggest difference in weight is in the UQs, and upon closer looking I see why. The Phoenix is 45x52, whereas the Yeti is 40x46. I understand the length, but on the width I notice that the Yeti claims to be asymmetrically cut. Does this mean the Phoenix has quilt where none is needed?
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I find every bit of the phoenix is used with me. The sides go up just above my shoulders so theystay warm as well. Also when I lay diagonally it seems to move with my body so there's more quilt in the footend than the other and same with the shoulder end.

Warbonnet is only making there silnylon tarps, and one hammock(dbl 1.0) blackbird) overseas, I hear you can not tell a difference in quality. I'm certain Brandon would not put out a bad product, outsourced or not. And its still an american company.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Warbonnet is only making there silnylon tarps, and one hammock(dbl 1.0) blackbird) overseas, I hear you can not tell a difference in quality. I'm certain Brandon would not put out a bad product, outsourced or not. And its still an american company.
    Not picking on you Bro, just want to point something out. Brandon is not Making items overseas. He had One trial run done over there, and these are the said items. He has clearly stated that he is not yet sure if he will have anymore items other than this trial run manufactured overseas. Rant off
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast