Thoughts on setup/temp ratings

I realize I should try this setup first. But is is about 4F outside and I need this gear ready for a trip. By the time i am able to test it in the right temps it will be too late to get additional gear before the trip.

Last trip I used a 45F bag, no UQ with a Big Agnes pad in my Eno doublenest. I needed to put a towel under my shoulders but was otherwise fine for some 50F nights.

For this trip I have a new, WBBB Dual 1.0 with Yeti UQ to use.
    For top insulation I have my choice of Big Agnes bags in the house (45F all the way down to 0F).

This is a Quetico trip in May so nights should be 40F but you never know.

Any thoughts on how warm of a bag I might need or it my legs will get cold with a partial UQ?

Images
    If you used a 45F bag and were chilled in 50F temps, seems like you are a bit of a cold sleeper. For 40F temps, and the Yeti UQ... hard to say if a 20 or 30 deg bag would do you best. With a "better safe than sorry" thought, I'd say 20 deg. would be best. Shouldn't be that much of a weight difference for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    If you used a 45F bag and were chilled in 50F temps, seems like you are a bit of a cold sleeper. For 40F temps, and the Yeti UQ... hard to say if a 20 or 30 deg bag would do you best. With a "better safe than sorry" thought, I'd say 20 deg. would be best. Shouldn't be that much of a weight difference for you.
    Yeah but that was with no real bottom insulation and wind!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    how about getting a system together for the current temps, and then venting/subtracting for warmer conditions? (if you need an excuse to sleep out more, that is)

What I always say and recommend is having your insulation set for at least 10 degrees lower than the expected temp, then if things were to get colder you have not only your sleeping system but your clothing system (insulation) combined should get you fairly lower than the extra 10 degrees!
    Now on to your question! The ratings (depending on how old your bags are) might not be very accurate to the temp rating that BA has rated them at! I would venture to say that if you have the 3 season Yeti which is rated to 20-25 degrees and you are expecting a low in the 50's (then minus the 10, so a possible low of 40*) your under insulation is well covered and the theory is in a hammock you need more under you than over! Now which bag to take??? I would say take a bag that you feel is the closest rating for the possible low (with the minus 10 extra added)! Now if you are a cold sleeper you might want to take something 15-20 degrees lower than the expected temp, instead of 10* lower!
    This is how I handle my insulation, as well as my kids and better half , and have yet to have a problem, not saying that something can't, the weather can always throw you for a loop!
    Hope this helps?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I would bring the Yeti UQ, BA pad, and the 15 deg F BA bag.

You can also not use the pad and unzip the bag.

Good Luck.
    Love my JRB BMB

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    how about getting a system together for the current temps, and then venting/subtracting for warmer conditions? (if you need an excuse to sleep out more, that is)
    I am a 2.5 season only camper. Mainly because I focus on boundary waters trips and don't like ice. So 30F is the worst I have seen in 10 years of trips.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I would bring the Yeti UQ, BA pad, and the 15 deg F BA bag.

You can also not use the pad and unzip the bag.

Good Luck.
    Hmm never even considered that! Thanks..

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeller View Post
    Yeah but that was with no real bottom insulation and wind!
    If the BA pad is not real bottom insulation, is it the uninsulated air core? Pad should work as well as it does on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    If the BA pad is not real bottom insulation, is it the uninsulated air core? Pad should work as well as it does on the ground.
    Actually it was the insulated aircore during that trip. But with only about 10-20% air in it who knows how much it actually insulated.

• + New Posts