Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Here's what I did suspension wise.

I have a continual loop on my hammock which is attached to a soft shackle, which is connected to another continual loop wrapped around the ridgepole, larks head style, and ANOTHER continual loop holding up the ridgepole from the lashing. The tape is so it doesn't slip. We didn't have that at first and my hammock started getting the most ridiculous sag. I plan on getting my grandpa to help me come up with a solution for that, maybe dremmle in a loop.

That's a latta loops.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    If you prussiked the lower loop to the rail it shouldn't slide. Here's a simple solution,well easier than a Dremel. Sand a little divot/ring into the wood. I was thinking of doing something like that with my tripods to ensure the lashings stay put. It may not be necessary though.. there's enough friction between the wood and para cord to hold it pretty still.

My big issue was what I did was really ugly. It's some old dirty 3/8" 3 strand nylon that I tied in a loop with a double fisherman's bend. With a 4 wrap prussik knot on the rail it didn't slide though. I'm going to try a test with some Amsteel to see what happens. A 5 wrap rolling hitch in Amstell slid, but Prussiks tend to hold better. If I could find a way to use my whoopie slings I'd love it, but I think that would involve a longer rail and maybe even a higher hang. This is too much fun

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    PS... I love the way your stand looks made of dowel like that. I chose my materials to make it cheap, but an indoor dowel version would be really nice to build.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    If you prussiked the lower loop to the rail it shouldn't slide. Here's a simple solution,well easier than a Dremel. Sand a little divot/ring into the wood. I was thinking of doing something like that with my tripods to ensure the lashings stay put. It may not be necessary though.. there's enough friction between the wood and para cord to hold it pretty still.

My big issue was what I did was really ugly. It's some old dirty 3/8" 3 strand nylon that I tied in a loop with a double fisherman's bend. With a 4 wrap prussik knot on the rail it didn't slide though. I'm going to try a test with some Amsteel to see what happens. A 5 wrap rolling hitch in Amstell slid, but Prussiks tend to hold better. If I could find a way to use my whoopie slings I'd love it, but I think that would involve a longer rail and maybe even a higher hang. This is too much fun

I have no idea what a prussik is to be honest. My knowledge of knot names is "That one" and "This one"... Just looked up a prussik, would that really help?

And by dremel I did mean sand a divot into the wood. I just didn't know how to say it. Haha. Thanks, I've been trying to think of how to explain/say it for days.
    Last edited by QChan; 06-22-2011 at 17:36. Reason: Used google...

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Oooh well, let me help you with that! A prussik is an excellent knot to know how to tie. It's awesome for tying a loop to another rope or a cylinder where you don't want the loop to slide. It hold when tension is applied parallel to the object it's tied around. Here's the cool part... if you want to move it, just take the pressure off and push on the knot to slide in the direction you choose. A lot of people refer to their rope loops as prussiks because that's pretty much all they use them for.
    Here's an animated demo of tying one.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I made a TL Twin Tripod stand tonight. My version is made from 2x2 lumber and the traditional fence top rail. Lashings and leg limiter cords are paracord, rail hang loops are 7/64 Amsteel continuous loops, and the hammock suspension prussiks are some crappy old nylon rope I had laying around. I bought 8' lengths of 2x2 and left them full length for testing. I didn't want to cut them and find out my hammock hangs too low. I did the first test with the lashings at 5' from the leg ends. That is about perfect. My WBBB hangs with the ridge line a little loose. It's still tight enough to hold the netting off me but not what I accustomed to when hanging from trees.
    Now if I can figure out how to get some pictures uploaded I'll show off this thing.
    These stands look awesome.

Now, if you get some canvas and make teepees out of the tripods, you will have a dry place to store your gear.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Did you see the video about the tripod camp chair? I have a busted lawn chair I plan to scavenge the material from so I can make one.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Well I guess this is just another reason to bring out my splicing stuff(I'll need bigger loops).

Darn. Life is hard.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    If you do that you can skip the sand paper

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...If I could find a way to use my whoopie slings I'd love it, but I think that would involve a longer rail and maybe even a higher hang. This is too much fun
    That would require a longer and higher top rail. My rail is 7' high and ~15 feet long to work with my normal whoopie sling suspension, but that could be shortened up some.

You could also larkshead a continuous loop to the hammock and loop it onto a short tree strap and marlin spike hitch as you would a whoopie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast