Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 834
  1. #631
    This is a wonderful thread. Thank you all for posting.

  2. #632
    K0m4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    770
    Great idea. I didn't read this thread now as I'm in a hurry, only the first and last page, so apologies if my question has been covered already.

    Would it be possible to use a length of non-stretch rope or webbing instead of a ridge pole? Basically having it run exactly the same way, hanging in the same way from the tripod, with a loop on each end to which you attach the hammock. That would significantly reduce bulk and weight, no?

  3. #633
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,805
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    ...Would it be possible to use a length of non-stretch rope or webbing instead of a ridge pole?
    Sorry K0m4. The purpose of the ridge pole is to prevent the tripods from tipping INWARD. The hammock pulls the tops of the tripods together. A rope would not work in this case.

    I hope you can make a TL stand for yourself. They're very convenient for hanging where there are no trees (inside, fields, driveways, etc.) You're right though. They can be pretty heavy and bulky, but they do serve a purpose. Good luck to you!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  4. #634
    K0m4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Sorry K0m4. The purpose of the ridge pole is to prevent the tripods from tipping INWARD. The hammock pulls the tops of the tripods together. A rope would not work in this case.

    I hope you can make a TL stand for yourself. They're very convenient for hanging where there are no trees (inside, fields, driveways, etc.) You're right though. They can be pretty heavy and bulky, but they do serve a purpose. Good luck to you!
    So what you're saying is that a rope that is running the whole ridge, tied to the tripods hanging underneath just like the pole, would not be rigid enough to counter the pulling of hte hammock? ****, thought I was on to something there.. Thanks for getting me back down to earth

    I'm using my motorcycle as a platform for camping, so maybe I can get away with the weight somehow, but if it's possible to avoid it would be good. To say nothing of the bulk...

  5. #635
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,805
    Images
    7
    You got it. Some folks have had success guying out their tripods to the ground or to a tree or rock. That would avoid the ridge pole. But the guy lines and anchors have to be REALLY STRONG!

    Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  6. #636
    Member Funkyleebasick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Hammock
    eno, for now.
    Tarp
    eno, modified
    Insulation
    diy, mummy bag
    Suspension
    straps and woopie
    Posts
    50
    very nice, this could be the one i try. thanks

  7. #637
    Senior Member ShadowAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Posts
    2,282
    Images
    31


    Just scored a bunch of bamboo - thinking about making a stand to put on my front deck. Too far to go out to the back of my property to hang in trees

    Now to figure how tall to cut these?? so I can add a tarp over it too

  8. #638
    hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,319
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post


    Just scored a bunch of bamboo - thinking about making a stand to put on my front deck. Too far to go out to the back of my property to hang in trees

    Now to figure how tall to cut these?? so I can add a tarp over it too
    SA, I just cut them back to a node, so you have a solid foot and then leave them whatever length they are, or even them up if you like. I assume you'll have a ridge pole and your tarp goes over that.

    I find paracord works great for lashing. Tie flags or something to the tops of the bamboo. Looks cool and keeps birds from parking on them and pooping on your head!
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

  9. #639
    Senior Member ShadowAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Posts
    2,282
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    SA, I just cut them back to a node, so you have a solid foot and then leave them whatever length they are, or even them up if you like. I assume you'll have a ridge pole and your tarp goes over that.

    I find paracord works great for lashing. Tie flags or something to the tops of the bamboo. Looks cool and keeps birds from parking on them and pooping on your head!
    Thank you! Bamboo is still laying out there.
    Some of those pieces are looooong
    I do have paracord

    good advice on flags - have seen birds land on hammock/tarp in the past when I have it out in yard

  10. #640
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Firmly planted in the Georgia Red Clay
    Posts
    1

    Thank You!

    Just wanted to say thank you for posting and discussing this. I picked up a bunch of bamboo for another project and found this while searching the internet. Since I had the bamboo...




    Still need to do some research on tying knots. I also have to cure the ridgepole and add pegs to keep the ropes in place. Now that I know I can build it, I can make it stable. Mine is just for hanging in the yard and hiding from the HOA when not in use.

    Best part? This didn't cost me anything.

Similar Threads

  1. Bamboo Stand
    By MDSH in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 16:40
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 21:20
  3. My new Lashed TurtleLady stand Please Review for Error.
    By Gristlehead in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 13:01
  4. Bamboo Viking Stand
    By colorado chud in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 21:17
  5. Bamboo Hammock stand - DIY
    By TreeMounT in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 08:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •