Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    What about speaker stands? Here is a pair, rated @ 200#'s ea., 6' tall, and 7.5#'s ea. the only piece not included is the crossbar. What do ya' think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Heavy-D...item25743b6697

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    What about speaker stands? Here is a pair, rated @ 200#'s ea., 6' tall, and 7.5#'s ea. the only piece not included is the crossbar. What do ya' think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Heavy-D...item25743b6697
    Possibly. It will be more tippy as the spread of the tripod is small compared to the average TL stand, but if it's for indoor use on a flat surface, it could work.

I'd be somewhat concerned about wear and tear on those cranks you tighten the sections with. Cheaper ones could break or wear out.

There's also the problem of hanging the hammock. Most suspend the top rail from under the tripod. This would make the attachment points different with a speaker type stand like this.

Just thinking out loud though...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I used speaker stands professionally for years. Seeing how much a speaker swayed on the top of those things when they were extended, no way in the world would I want a big sail of a hammock + tarp attached to them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I used speaker stands professionally for years. Seeing how much a speaker swayed on the top of those things when they were extended, no way in the world would I want a big sail of a hammock + tarp attached to them.
    May not be what he wants them for. TL stand was originally for portable and travel setup. Just a way to get off the floor.

But I agree, it would be precarious at best.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have used the a fair amount as well, I remember when there we stands that used pins as opposed to clamps to adjust height, those seem more like something that would work. Now as far as tarp sails that's a fair point, but then again, I wouldn't be carrying those up on top of a mountain anyway. I'd think those or similar stands with suitable crossbars may be suitable for campgrounds (try to stay out of those myself), backyards and homes of family or friends as a happy alternative to the floor or couch. I'm thinking a stick of aluminum rigid conduit with a holes drilled on one side to rest on top of the stands that would create 2 tripods rigidly connected together as a pretty stable and light alternative. But for the money I like my free bamboo stands. Or maybe ones made from rigid aluminum conduit 1/2" is about $9/10' stick and 3/4" is about $12/10' stick. And each stick comes with a threaded connector.

Also regarding shaky speakers, I've noticed that as well, but was always at the attachment point of the speaker and stand, and many many times from the two being incompatible or worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 11-08-2012 at 12:45.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The tripods we have been using gain stiffness and stability from being full height. Those speaker tripods are small tripods with a straight unsupported pole out the top not meant for dynamic or side loads as happens getting in and out of a hammock. They look like a very bad idea to me.

Please keep the video running if you try them out.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I seem to remember a post that stated no, no don't swing daddy....I get that. But also wonder it a semi-rigid top or cross bar attachment would help with a potential stability issue. Trying to think of a method to mock up a prototype rather than spending cash on stands 1st. I have free access to bamboo, and after getting a few projects out of the way may try a few things. And just for you will video the attempts, and if they are especially humbling gladly share. I like causing smiles and laughter, it has been said laughter does good like medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The tripods we have been using gain stiffness and stability from being full height. Those speaker tripods are small tripods with a straight unsupported pole out the top not meant for dynamic or side loads as happens getting in and out of a hammock. They look like a very bad idea to me.

Please keep the video running if you try them out.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you are going to use the snaps, be sure to set up a jig for drilling so they are all the same and interchangeable.
    Agreed - a jig (and a drill press, really) were essential to doing it right. My jig was very similar to yours - except it was wood. Make it super fast to drill and it's nice to have all interchangeable pieces.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    I thought I'd have a try building a turtle lady stand. I have one tripod and I anchor the other side of the ridgepole to my DIY-loft. However, it wouldn't be any fun if everything worked correctly the first time (I'll attach more complete pictures when it's finished).

My tripod is made from 6' lengths of 1/2" EMT lashed together with some cheap rope I found in my closet. I have spread limiters that limit the spread at the base to 38". The problem I'm having is that the lashings at the top of the tripod are slipping down the poles and I lowered to the ground at moderate speed.

I've tried arranging the tripod with the center pole on top and with it on the bottom. I've also checked that the ridge pole is hanging centered (or as close as possible) on the tripods.

My next ideas are to
    • add more wraps to the lashing
    • use a different cord for the lashing (like paracord... thinner but possibly more friction)
    • wrap tape around the EMT
    • put pins through the EMT.

However, I'm working on this between term projects (as is the life of a grad student) so I turn to you. What should I try first?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narksos View Post
    I thought I'd have a try building a turtle lady stand. I have one tripod and I anchor the other side of the ridgepole to my DIY-loft. However, it wouldn't be any fun if everything worked correctly the first time (I'll attach more complete pictures when it's finished).

My tripod is made from 6' lengths of 1/2" EMT lashed together with some cheap rope I found in my closet. I have spread limiters that limit the spread at the base to 38". The problem I'm having is that the lashings at the top of the tripod are slipping down the poles and I lowered to the ground at moderate speed.

I've tried arranging the tripod with the center pole on top and with it on the bottom. I've also checked that the ridge pole is hanging centered (or as close as possible) on the tripods.

My next ideas are to
    • add more wraps to the lashing
    • use a different cord for the lashing (like paracord... thinner but possibly more friction)
    • wrap tape around the EMT
    • put pins through the EMT.

However, I'm working on this between term projects (as is the life of a grad student) so I turn to you. What should I try first?
    Couple of things.

First, try setting up your tripods so the outer poles cross under the center pole.

EMT is slippery too so more wraps and something like gaffers tape or duct tape or Gorilla tape would help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast