Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Using Conduit for legs

This reply is for WVwander, from the Turtledog thread, who asks for experiences using conduit and dowels for legs in a lashed tri-pod stand. I feel the reply more properly belongs in this thread, although the history of the Turtledog and Turtlelady stands is intertwined. We are in such good company here!

I have used short sections of 1/2" conduit quite successfully in a hybrid stand for many years with steel pins at the connections of the legs and more recently, 1/2 Conduit with wood dowel connections, with less success, in a more compact traveling stand. My at home nightly hang for the past 3 1/2 years uses 6" steel rod connections, secured into the bottom half of each leg. A friend of mine had a metal working shop and so those came fairly easy when we made that first tri-pod stand.

For the record, that first stand was essentially what we would now probably call a Turtledog stand made with metal legs. It has a seriously over built homemade metal hinging system. My friend loved working in metal, you see! It IS portable, but very heavy because we used angle iron and steel rods for the hinging, and a heavy conduit ridgepole with a 15" steel rod connector inside for the join. The weight of that first portable prototype motivated the move toward bamboo, lashings, and the chain link fence ridgepole. But eventually I returned to 1/2" conduit in an attempt to be more compact.

The steel pin connectors for the legs are heavy when we have six, 6" long. To lighten that, I used 5/8" dowels and sanded them down to fit snugly into the 1/2" conduit. That worked very well for me for several years until one night when it did not. There are photos of it in various motel rooms and friend's homes earlier in this thread

Slick floors are the hardest set up. One night, arriving late at a friend's house, very tired and distracted by two large dogs helping me, I set the stand up on a old hardwood floor at one end and forgot to put anything under the legs to provide traction, and had not set the adjustable limiter cords well. I sat in the hammock and immediately one leg slid out. The result was a broken wooden dowel connector. It was a very low hang so I was not hurt in the fall. My friend saw the leg start to slide and she grabbed the ridgepole so I was saved from that threat. I continue to use that stand, but have fashioned 6" pins for it out of threaded steel rod filed down to fit very snugly. (These were the skill set and tool sets at hand in yet another friend's shop while traveling.) I have screws through the conduit to limit the drop of the pins into the bottom section of the legs. Yes, these are heavy but I've decided that weight is necessary.

It is my belief that the strength of the spread limiters and stopping the slide tendency at the floor surface are the more crucial concerns than the actual strength of the leg join materials, if they are reasonably snug and in-line and dynamic loading is avoided. Being careful when loading AND when unloading the stand is very important to using these small, lighter materials.

If the wood dowels get wet, they can swell and can be really hard to dry out to remove for dismantling. Mine never did that from just nightly dew in outdoor use, but in a major rainstorm, they did.

WVwanderer, I hope you are successful in your quest for a compact stand that meets your needs. I look forward to seeing your results here with pictures, although I myself am behind in this regard. We have all benefited from the generous sharing of photos and advice from many friends here and in the Turtledog thread.

Hang happy and safely,

Turtlelady

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Made a turtledog stand today and it went well. Still hoping to make a bamboo Turtlelady stand, though. Just can't seem to find any bamboo...
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

I found a bunch of bamboo cut to 5' at the local dollar tree store. Some of it was large enough to work.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Here's a good ebay seller that I bought another set of aluminum poles from at a better total price than my first set...deagle1969 (thanks to mattyg). I picked up a set of 12 plus a set of 4 for $72 with combined shipping and the carry bag.

The seller went way "above and beyond" to take care of a small problem I had and I recommend them.
    I had looked this guy up because he was in Peoria, and because I would be in town on other business, I gave him a call and he was very nice and I arranged to stop by and purchase them locally. Much better price I got 16 poles with 2 bags and 6 Fiberglass poles for $60. He even threw in some stakes... What a nice guy, really down to earth and friendly.

On the way to another account, I stopped by Grainger and picked up the clips.

I won't be home until Saturday, but I am going to try the hardware version of round tubes I posted earlier from another user. Can't wait, and will post pics when I finish.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    I had looked this guy up because he was in Peoria, and because I would be in town on other business,................................. but I am going to try the hardware version of round tubes I posted earlier from another user. Can't wait, and will post pics when I finish.
    Now wasn't that convenient!

I'm looking forward to seeing your results with the "bolt & eye-bolt" connection.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing

turtlelady's Bamboo Stand

I had looked this guy up because he was in Peoria, and because I would be in town on other business, I gave him a call and he was very nice and I arranged to stop by and purchase them locally. Much better price I got 16 poles with 2 bags and 6 Fiberglass poles for $60. He even threw in some stakes... What a nice guy, really down to earth and friendly.

On the way to another account, I stopped by Grainger and picked up the clips.

I won't be home until Saturday, but I am going to try the hardware version of round tubes I posted earlier from another user. Can't wait, and will post pics when I finish.
    I emailed him earlier this week but haven't gotten any response....could you pm me his number?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dixoncreations View Post
    I emailed him earlier this week but haven't gotten any response....could you pm me his number?
    I emailed the other guy ([email protected]) that was selling for $54 and haven't heard back from him either. Which is why I moved to this guy. ..deagle1969.

This is from Chad's Ebay Page:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-ea-4-ft-R...item1c21ca0402

My #1 Goal is to Provide Quality Items, Value Price & Prompt Service for My Buyers!! Feel free to call Chad with Questions @ 309.691.3295 or 309.691.9510 Have a Great Day and Thank You for Viewing My Listing!!

The first number is his shop, a custom drapery store and he probably won't answer but I left a message and he called me back, the other number is his home.

I know that Chad gave me a good deal because it was outside of Ebay and he didn't have to pay them their fee's, he didn't have to package them up, and all that... but I want to say for the record, I am not affiliated with him in any way... there, I said it. If you go outside of ebay, you lose any sort of limited protection that they provide.. Whatever that is.

AND ..The guy is an older guy, and loves to talk so be prepared, he has lots and lots of these poles, so... Good luck.
    Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-21-2013 at 05:59.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So, If I make a round tubular stand with Military Aluminum poles, using bolts instead of lashing.. Is it still a Turtle lady, or Turtle dog, or is it a hybrid of the two...

A Turtle Artjrk Military Bull Dog stand? Oh, the dilemma. Riding outside the lines of normalcy, man I need to get a life...Wish I wasn't stuck in hotel rooms, I have some drilling to do!

Drawing provided by Artjrk:

I think that I'll have to insert something inside the pole to keep the strength through pole where the bolts go through, but Artjrk used this in his stands which were made of closet rod with success in the Turtledog stand thread.

Probably use a sleeve, or dowel inserted, but the whole idea of going to the aluminum poles and hardware is for durability, so I'm thinking something weather proof as these will be exposed at the top. Little rubber booties.. I don't know. Ramblings from a travelling salesman. Coffee is for closers, and I've apparently had too much.
    Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-21-2013 at 09:17.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...A TurtleAlumArtjrkDocDog stand?...
    Fixed it for you.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Probably use a sleeve, or dowel inserted, but the whole idea of going to the aluminum poles and hardware is for durability, so I'm thinking something weather proof as these will be exposed at the top. Little rubber booties.. I don't know. Ramblings from a travelling salesman. Coffee is for closers, and I've apparently had too much.
    I'm VERY interested to see this! Any updates?

• + New Posts
  • Page 73 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast