WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDoug View Post
    I found this page on splicing bamboo poles....
    http://www.guaduabamboo.com/bamboo-joinery.html

I am am going to try and make a sectional turtle lady stand and ridge pole.

If it works we could end up with a light weight easily transportable NATURAL hammock Stand......wouldn't that be cool!
    I did some variations on spicing wood and had quite a lot of frustration even reinforcing my joints with metallic bands/tubing. In the end I was much happier with aluminum ridge poles over wood for stiffness.

David

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I'd like to apologize in advance if someone has already asked, but there's a lot of pages to read on this thread and I simply do not have the time to do so.

Can the bamboo poles or alternative poles (such as 1" wood dowels) be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot? I absolutely need to hang in my house

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet
    Tarp
    TW comelius 3x3 mt
    Insulation
    Pad..it's hot here
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Segmented Turtle lady...

Hi...thanks for that.
    I am going to try this with bamboo. I will glue a smaller bamboo piece inside one half of the joint and I will glue a bamboo sleeve on the other half of the joint and then I will cut the joint according to one of the patterns (in the attached photo) so it interlocks around the inner piece and inside the sleeve....I hope that came out as clear in writing as it is in my head...will try a sketch tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiggs View Post
    I'd like to apologize in advance if someone has already asked, but there's a lot of pages to read on this thread and I simply do not have the time to do so.

Can the bamboo poles or alternative poles (such as 1" wood dowels) be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot? I absolutely need to hang in my house
    Many of us have used 2x2 lumber available at all lumber stores for the tripod legs. Be selective and avoid pieces with large knots.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Many of us have used 2x2 lumber available at all lumber stores for the tripod legs. Be selective and avoid pieces with large knots.
    Sounds like a plan. I like cheap! Is there change of procedure to build the stand when using 2x2's? I assume paracord will be a fine cord to use? Can a 2x2 be used for the horizontal support that runs parallel to the hammock or should I stick with a steel or aluminum pipe?

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDoug View Post
    I found this page on splicing bamboo poles....
    http://www.guaduabamboo.com/bamboo-joinery.html

I am am going to try and make a sectional turtle lady stand and ridge pole.

If it works we could end up with a light weight easily transportable NATURAL hammock Stand......wouldn't that be cool!
    Oh, I'd forgotten about that site. A half-split or ray splice should do the trick.

Oh, one potential issue - bamboo is weaker once split. I suspect those splices are intended to be used permanently. We might have issues protecting the cut ends during transit.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...I assume paracord will be a fine cord to use? Can a 2x2 be used for the horizontal support that runs parallel to the hammock or should I stick with a steel or aluminum pipe?
    I would stick with the fence rail for the ridgepole. It has a swaged end to form a coupling and is well tested here on HF.

Paracord should work. Here's a video on tripod lashing. You will want to use more wraps and draw each one tighter than shown in the video.

I sanded mine and used a wood preservative that made the legs slick for a while. This combined with the rope I used gave problems with slipping so I glued cross pins in the legs to prevent it. Here's a photo of mine in which I also proposed notching the legs if you have a slippage problem...

IMG_3948 notes (Medium).jpg IMG_3308 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    @gmcttr
    Your stand looks great. A couple more questions and then I'll set off on my own, although I'm sure I'll return with more questions.

What length 2x4's did you use?
    What length is the metal horizontal support pole?
    Could you possibly link me to the Lowe's or Home Depot website to the metal poles I should be looking for once I go in the store? I assume I'll need two 6' sections at least with the coupler needed to join them.

I see their galvanized pipe, but that's at least $50 for a 12' length. I think I am missing a cheaper option. Thanks.

Edit: I just found this. I see the ends are tapered so that you can fit a couple together. Would I just need two 6ft or 7ft lengths?
    Last edited by tdiggs; 01-22-2014 at 16:18.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...What length 2x4's did you use?

I bought 8' lengths and cut them down to 6'. I should have left them at 7'. i suggest starting with at least 7.5' legs and cutting them down later if you find them to be too long...easy to cut off, hard to add on.

What length is the metal horizontal support pole?

The one in the photo is 16' (unusually long). Most are using 10 to 14'.

...I see their galvanized pipe, but that's at least $50 for a 12' length. I think I am missing a cheaper option. Thanks.

Edit: I just found this. I see the ends are tapered so that you can fit a couple together. Would I just need two 6ft or 7ft lengths?

Yep...the galvanized plumbing pipe is heavier than needed, expensive and requires extra couplings. You found the fence top rail. Hopefully someone will post what diameter and gauge of rail they are using. I'm guessing the one you linked to would be fine out to at least 12'. The people using these typically cut one in half for portability and turn them around so they will connect. You can also look in the Turtledog stand thread as they use the same top rail and legs, only they connect at the top with a hinge. I prefer the lashing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The top rails that TheHomeDepot and Lowe's sell is 1 3/8" diameter and 10' long. I believe it is actually 10'3" or so because of the swaged end. If longer than 10' is desired then you need to buy two rails.

• + New Posts
  • Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast