Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast
    Following the link, it says my Lowes has them on sale for $8.64 til next June. That's 20% cheaper.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    asking here to

anyone know if 1.625-in x 72-in Uncoated 17-Gauge Galvanized Steel Chain-Link Fence Line Post
    could work for the tripod part ?

sounds like if the top would be OK maybe this would be OK or overkill ? I am OK with it since we car camp
    but thought about using those and then seeing if I can put the top rail in pieces into the legs for more compact setup

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    40d diy silnylon
    Insulation
    mylar & sleep bag
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    This is a really interesting-looking stand...If you hung the two hammock ends directly from the top of each "pyramid" the middle crossbar would be non-load bearing and I'd guess could be a lighter bar of some sort, if you wanted (as long as it resists compression)
    You are correct. I built one from natural materials and stretched the ridge pole through the top of each tripod. I attached the hammock to the ends of the ridge pole. This caused all of the load to go straight down into the tripods. the pole only prevents tipping. My ridge pole is huge only because of the natural materials./Users/cabsplus/Desktop/turtle stand.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    I am so totally in love with this idea. Anybody have some extra bamboo in the Eastern Idaho area that you'd want to help me out with?
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I wasn't sure if reviving a thread, or starting a new one would be better. I did do a search and did not find what I was looking for.

When using lashing to make a tripod stand, is there any reason for safety sake that the ridgepole should be hung from the tripod vs lashed on top of it? I understand it is important to not hang the hammock from the tripod directly, that will cause them to tip over. Does having the ridgepole on top increase the 'tippyness" of the setup?

Images
    I would not think that the placement of the ridgepole is too critical, however the hanging from below would facilitate the lashing as a load-bearing surface, as opposed to the tripod cradle supporting the weight on top. This will then require consideration of the material used for the tripod legs. If, for instance this post is indeed using bamboo for the tripod legs, then the possibility of splitting on one or more of the three stand tops will require monitoring. Hanging from below and using the lashing for the load-bearing support seems to be an easier approach; the distance from the ground to the ridgepole can more easily be modified, uneven ground locations will be easier to be accommodated.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    ...Hanging from below and using the lashing for the load-bearing support seems to be an easier approach; the distance from the ground to the ridgepole can more easily be modified, uneven ground locations will be easier to be accommodated.
    ...and being able to easily adjust the ridgepole height and length is important for fine tuning the stand to different hammock lengths, hang angles and sitting height above ground.

Tried the 3/4 + 1/2" EMT as ridge pole, but it just bent. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    After contacting an ebay seller directly, he sold me 16 poles for $54.99 shipped. The poles worked great for me and he would pass on this deal to other people as well. If you would like a bag with it it would be $5 more.

Their ebay name is little_apple_liquidation and their email is [email protected]

I just want to make it clear that I am not connected anyway with this seller, just passing on a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijereyes View Post
    Thanks for the source! I contacted him and he's sending me an invoice now. I just moved into a new house, so it's not like I have a whole lot of spare time.. but I'm adding a stand to the to-do list
    I also just ordered the military surplus aluminum poles from Josh. The price was $5 more due to increase in shipping costs. Used but good condition stock with a bag was $65. Their ebay name is little_apple_liquidation and his email is [email protected]
    Last edited by dutchumb; 06-17-2016 at 10:52.

Whew! finally made it through this thread! My son and I made a turtlelady based on suggestions in this thread and some trial and error.
    We used:
    (6) 5' long 1/2" EMT (Home depot had them already cut at 5")
    (1) chain link top rail (I tried 3/4" EMT with a coupler and it bowed like crazy with my son on it so we got the top rail)
    (2) top rail end caps (with eyes)
    (2) 4" eyebolts with 5/16" nuts
    (2) master locks (needed something to hold eyebolts together and had extra locks from boy scout summer camp)
    (2) locking clip thing
    550 paracord

We initially tried 1/2" EMT cut to 3'4" and held together with a coupler. It held my weight (240 lbs) but was pretty wobbly. Going with the 5' length was much more stable. I actually used the Hammock Hang Calculator to figure out I really only needed about 4 1/2' of height.
    We initially used paracord lashings on the EMT but it slipped under my weight so we went with the eye bolts. We had lashed that with paracord but decided to just use a master lock (my son's idea) to hold the eye bolts together.
    We were also using dog leash hardware (from old chewed through leashes) but discovered at Home Depot that those are rated for about 70 or 80 lbs so I replaced them with locking carabiners.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and happy hanging!

2016-07-09 13.36.53.jpg2016-07-09 14.06.54.jpg2016-07-09 14.06.59.jpg2016-07-09 14.07.07.jpg2016-07-09 19.07.19.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast