Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I understand the bamboo from a cheap, available source perspective. If you wanted to spend more money and had access to the materials though... Would something like this work?

Instead of using bamboo, use aluminum pipe, each piece of pipe would have an ID (inner diameter) that would allow the next, smaller pipe to slid inside it? So you have 8 pieces of pipe (six tripod legs, and two support pole pieces). Each of the 8 pieces would be larger than the next so that they would all nest inside of each other.

So first question would be what wall thickness on the aluminum pipe would be structurally sufficient and what would the smallest and the largest pipe's OD be?

Not sure if it would work but from a bulk standpoint, if you can have one pipe to carry, albeit heavy because it has seven smaller pipes stuffed inside, the bulk would be considerably less.

Just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by jeremesh; 01-27-2011 at 15:40. Reason: spelling correction.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Well done turtlelady. Did you try bamboo before going with the chain link fence top rail?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Knotty, Short answer, no I didn't try bamboo for the ridge pole.

I think a larger diameter bamboo pole could replace the top rail if it were left as one long piece, no problem, and would likely weigh less.The top rail is half the weight of this system. But I need it to be portable and fit inside my sedan. I fantasized about what kind of connector could connect two 5' pieces of bamboo and withstand the compression force, and wondered if the top rail connector would work for this. My source for local grown bamboo is not yet cutting her larger diameter bamboo. If I come across a stout bamboo pole that fits the connector, I will definitely give it a try in an effort to lighten the bundle, and improve the aesthetic factor. The nature of the way bamboo sprouts larger as the patch matures means that the larger bamboo will become more abundant in the next few years.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nice.
    Very nice.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Looks good Turtlelady! I tried one of these, but it failed. I was going to make basicly the same as you. I was going to attach to the tripod instead. I was talking to someone and they talked me into bipods, with the ridge. It was NOT stable. So I just anchored the ends to basicly make the tripod. Notty, I did use a big piece of bambo for the ridgeline. It worked, until I tried to make it portable! I cut it in the middle and put a piece of wood inside the bamboo. The bamboo ended up splitting. Both the ridgeline and then the uprights. Now it didn't split immediately, I left it outside and think that may have played a factor. When it first started to split at the ridgeline where I cut, I placed 2 hose clamps on the outside of the bamboo at the connector. It worked for a while, then complete failure. I went outside to take a look at it and,, well ,,,, welcome to splitsville. Ohh and the bamboo I used was a larger diameter, I like the smaller one better. I think that the wall thickness on the bamboo I got was thin, I know I have seen thicker. I will have to try this one again.

Anyone have any thoughts on attaching a tarp? A 10' ridge is to small for my tarp. I need about 12'. My thoughts are to just use 2 pieces of bamboo and free stand them in the tarp tie outs, then guy the tarp out to hold it up. Or just get a smaller tarp .
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Maybe low tech and low cost, but quite an elegant solution. Thanks for posting turtlelady and please update on how it wears.

Also thinking out loud . . . I've never had bamboo that didn't split even indoors. I'm wondering if, since the bamboo fibers are like straws - once completely dry - if the ends were dipped in some sort of sealant, whether it would minimize the splitting or just make them seriously warp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    That's really neat! I was thinking about stands the other day and wondered if a pair of tripods would work - now I know :-)

-Jay

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Very cool!
    Note to self: plant bamboo

Better off finding some, unless you have a big piece of property. The stuff grows like weeds. If you plant it, do your research first.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Recent adjustments to my bamboo stand

I made several minor adjustments to my bamboo stand that made it easier to use in several ways. It served remarkably well this weekend in a motel room. The adjustments were:

- replacing the shortest two of the three sections of chain link fence top rail with one longer one. This eliminated the extra connector and bulk in the storage bag.
    - using small cord (pink in the photos) to hold open the para cord loop the rail hangs from, and to keep the loop in place during transport yet hang free to self-adjust when weighted.
    - replaced toggles with shorter, fatter toggles made from dowel rod.
    - retied the spread limiter cords higher up the legs where they are shorter thus eliminating the shock cord and ring I used previously to tension these for transporting. Now hey do not tangle around the ends of the poles.

These four changes makes the stand much easier to set up. Eliminating the one section of pipe and connector from the storage bag made me able to position the stand much more conveniently in my car's back seat. Now two people can ride back there if needed. That unplanned improvement was a super gift!

Other changes:

I relashed the poles (green cord in photos) higher up the pole ends to raise the hammock to a more comfortable height. Yippee!

I put some wraps of gorilla tape under the lashings on each pole to keep the lashings from sliding down the pole. This works but I want a better solution for this tendency of the lashings to slide on the smooth bamboo.

I replaced all my colorful duct tape menagerie with black gorilla tape.
    I decided to use the gorilla tape to bind up one of the black bamboo poles that had split and I had taken out of the system. The walls of this pole were much thicker than the any of the replacement poles I had. I wanted to see if it would work even though it was split the entire length of the pole. It appears to work well. You can see that pole in one of the photos -- it has tape every 9".

I decided to go with all black bamboo poles even though some of them were smaller in diameter than the yellow bamboo poles in my collection. In inventorying my stash of bamboo poles, I discovered that the black bamboo poles were consistently thicker walled than the yellow bamboo poles.

This weekend I spent some time pondering what to put over the ends of the bamboo poles to eliminate moisture getting in. I decided maybe the fingers cut from rubber gloves may work well. The tops of the poles could do with thick latex gloves, but I want thicker rubber gloves for the ground end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Very good looking stand you got there Turtlelady. I am very impressed with the design, now all I have to do is figure out a big boy size one!!!!!! You were looking for something to cover the ends of the poles, might I recommend something to you : http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip. I have used this stuff to re-grip tools and it will work I think for what you want.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast