Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    What do you need holes for?
    Regardless, here's how I would drill into conduit. I think a vice would be a big help. I'd hit it the pipe with a center punch so the drill bit won't slip around. Maybe a little bit of filing before the punch can ensure the punch doesn't slip. I'd drill a small hole as a pilot so a larger bit has a guide. After drilling my final hole, I'd de-burr it with a bit that is much larger than the hole size. I may even use a small round file to deburr the inside edge as well.
    Last edited by shumway; 06-17-2011 at 11:10. Reason: mis-spelling

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Those fittings might work. Try and let us know
    As TurtleLady pointed out, it's important to hang the ridge pole from the lashing to evenly distribute the load to all three tripod legs. I think you'll need to find a way to hang the ridge pole from that fitting if you do try it.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Jsaults: Good luck with your stand, and please post pictures! Alien technology? I am intrigued . . .

Thank you for your kind words.

I agree with you that neither tri-pod nor bamboo is the operative creative concept at work here. You hit the nail on the head - support the ridgepole with the tri-pod by hanging it below the lashings, but hang your hammock from the ridgepole.

At this point I regret using the word bamboo in the title of my original post. I also think folks may miss the major value of the cheap, readily available, strong chain link fence top rail that is easily cut in half and reversed to allow rejoining of the two halves without further work or connectors making it easily transportable. Take your hack saw with you to the store! Had I video skills like Shug or Grizz, or dehoja's graphics skills, perhaps the various elements would be more easily communicated and understood. As more folks who do understand my descriptive attempts make stands out of various materials and post pictures, the concepts are being better visualized.

Since you are a professed steel and aluminum guy, you might be interested in my newest use of recycled materials to make an even lighter stand than the bamboo prototype. Here are photos of my newest version of a tri-pod stand completed yesterday. I slept last night using this stand with my Trek light hammock.

This stand uses coupling aluminum (legs, similar to tent poles but polished ) and steel (ridge pole) and drops five pounds from the bamboo & steel version. Each leg has two sections of the aluminum poles and each finished leg is 67" long. The very snug para cord lashing slides too easily on the polished surface, so I put a leather strap through drilled holes to limit movement downward, and wrapped rubber bands around the tops for now so the lashings don't slip off during transport. These will need better solutions in time.

The aluminum poles are very thin, so I am watching the leg joins very closely for splitting and I'm using them in a relatively vertical mode-- spread of the legs at the floor is 39". My next variation may be to try to make the ridgepole of the same aluminum as the tri-pod legs, with added larger diameter aluminum pole lengths as a sleeve at the two joins that I would be able to make out of the remaining available bits.

My source of materials? At a yard sale I found two old style portable folding and rolling privacy screens of the type used at temporary blood banks and medical clinics. $2.00 for each tri-folding screen! With a hack saw I robbed the uprights of the screens for their longest straight segments and drilled only four additional holes for the leather. All other holes were already there in useful places.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by turtlelady; 06-17-2011 at 12:57. Reason: Add photos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Well I got some bamboo which I have to cut it to length, have a video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55thqbbYF14tripod lashing, and the mail man is coming with my WBBB!!!

Gonna be a good day!

BTW I didn't hear back from that person yet about clearing out his bamboo but I will keep you'all posted if I get into a big supply.

JimT

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    bchboy1206 -- I'd consider driving down from Kentucky for a hanging and harvesting party if it happens after July 5. I'd love some larger diameter bamboo than the 1" I have. Sounds like it could be great fun. We could show what we have already done, go harvest, then make some new stands on the spot with group input for innovative thinking! Maybe experiment together with hot curing processes over a campfire. Definitely keep us informed. I am loving all the photos and experiments with new materials.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Yup, I saw that the key is to hang from the ridgepole...and now that I've seen a handy-dandy video on how to tie the tripod lashing in the first place, I may just do that. Of course, I've also seen mentions of slippage, which has been remedied with something through a drilled hole...for ease of drilling, I don't suppose anyone has tried using PVC pipe for the tripod legs?

I do like the ideas of using fence piping with the metal connectors to screw them together, though...if nothing else, it makes it easier to adjust size to hang larger hammocks like my HH Explorer.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

turtlelady: I got to ruminating about alternative

materials in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33784

I posted links for MaxGain fiberglass poles that were originally designed for antenna applications. They nest, and come in a multitude of sizes. When it comes to what sizes are appropriate, I will probably use the shadetree engineer's "TLAR" approach (that looks about right).

So later this summer I will be doing some fabrication experiments.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Jim

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I like your new aluminum model, TurtleLady!!! I've been thinking of all kinds of materials: rake handles, galvanized pipe, PVC, dowels.... . I think dowels win in the "economy" category, if you don't have free bamboo or sticks.

I haven't had any trouble with slippage on my TV antenna mast (very similar to TurtleLady's new aluminum ridgepole. I tie my suspension AROUND THE BACK OF THE LOOP hanging down from the lashing. This set up may allow you to shorten your ridgepole as well. If you have a short larkshead suspension coming off your hammock, you can feed the loop of the hammock through the tripod loop under the ridgepole and secure with a toggle. Otherwise, tie your hammock around the back of the loop as if it were a tree.

I think all this brainstorming is terrific!! Keep it coming!!
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 06-17-2011 at 19:21.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    bchboy1206 -- I'd consider driving down from Kentucky for a hanging and harvesting party if it happens after July 5. I'd love some larger diameter bamboo than the 1" I have. Sounds like it could be great fun. We could show what we have already done, go harvest, then make some new stands on the spot with group input for innovative thinking! Maybe experiment together with hot curing processes over a campfire. Definitely keep us informed. I am loving all the photos and experiments with new materials.
    Turtlelady--That sounds like a blast and a personal thanks to you and everyone else for the contributions in this great post!!!

BTW I used a 14 foot bamboo crossbar and..... FAIL!!! It was not rigid enough and I was slowly let down to the ground so I went and bought a fence rail... Maybe because it was just cut.

JimT

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bchboy1206 View Post
    BTW I used a 14 foot bamboo crossbar and..... FAIL!!! It was not rigid enough and I was slowly let down to the ground so I went and bought a fence rail... Maybe because it was just cut.

JimT
    JimT, mind if I ask how it failed? Did it crush? Bend? Break? Have any idea what kind of bamboo it was?
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast