Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Yeti Seal Problems?

Hey guys,

Never mind, I figured it out. Yetis are in the Himalayas and Seal live in the Arctic Circle. They don't have any problems with each other.

Last night I tried staying out. From about 10pm-2am, I slept like a baby, but then something happened, and I lost my good seal, and away went total comfort for the night.

I'm not sure what happened. The shock cord may have stretched; I might have slid towards the foot end without realizing it.

My first solution was to slide the yeti back down to where I was (align with neck). That worked for a little while. Then, I tried to use my headlamp to make a triangle thingee. I took both sides of the shock cord and used the headlamp to girth hitch them around the ridgeline. I think that may have been my big mistake.

Even though I had a really good seal at both ends now, there was a huge gap between the bottom of the hammock and the UQ.

Either way, I suffered for an hour, then bailed. CBS just wasn't worth it to me.

What do you think I could have done differently, so that I maintained a good seal and full hammock/UQ contact all night?
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    many possibilities...
    What hammock where you using?? what is the length of the hammock? How was it hung? (too much sag could cause a gap also)
    How did you confirm now gaps on either end? (I'm assuming reaching out, but it would be better if someone else visually checked!)

On a guess, since you had success for a while, I suspect you either slid too far down or changed your sleeping position. Sometimes if I cross my legs , it will cause a gap to form and CBS!

Set up your rig, get inside and have someone check for you as you move into different sleep positions. IF your reaching outside, your not really in your sleeping position!!

Good luck!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm using the Byer Amazonas Traveller hammock. It has a total length of 11 feet, so I lengthened the UQ suspension til the UQ would lift the empty hammock about 5 inches.

I had a paracord ridgeline (which might also be my problem) set at just under 83% of the hammock length.

I did switch diagonals a few times, and shifted from back/side to full side, etc a few times, too.

I did check the seal by reaching out, and after my makeshift triangle thingee, I slipped a hand between the UQ and hammock and found that I didn't have contact all the way through.

Thanks for the help. I'll try switching the ridgeline out to dynaglide, raise the foot end, and give it another try tonight. If anyone else has suggestions, I'll gladly receive them.
    Be like Bob

Images
    If you realigned the UQ with your neck/shoulder line at the highest, that should have canceled any problems caused from your slipping down. So I'm wondering" WTH?" (What the heck?).

Some folks have reported what appeared to be some problems with loss of elastic tension with the suspension at really cold temps. But not every one has reported such problems. But were your temps all that cold? Is your Yeti a winter or 3s, and what were the temps? I have not seen any problems like that, but I have not used mine below 27. I have the old original synthetic "Yeti".

Do you have the quilt pretty darn tight to start with? I have never used Triangle Thingies. But, Brandon advised me early on to have it tight enough so that it raised the middle of the empty hammock several feet. I have always got best results if it is tight enough that- once I am in- I have very little remaining slack if I take my hand and push down on the UQ. Some slack, and enough slack so that nothing is close to tearing, but not much more than that. I have found that I can tell the difference if it is much looser than that, even though everything seems well sealed.

I also sometimes hook the suspension- on the foot end- to the RL if I have a RL, maybe a foot closer to me than where it normally attaches to the end knots.

I'll be real interested to see what the problem turns out to be!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I added "lifters" to my Winter Yeti and it is 100% snug all the time.
    You can see them on this video.... at around 3:00 minutes.
    Shug

PART 10: Now I know that I left out a bunch of info but that is now your quest ...... to be inspired to research, practice, succeed and fail in your hammock journey. There is a lot to it and as I discovered doing these 10 videos .... hammocks are for those that like to dink around and tweak and play. *A look at my 11'x6' DIY tarp. My small 3 season one. My favorite tarp. 15 ounces with lines, snakeskins and all. *Weathershield .... see my DIY one. 7 ounces. Easy project. JacksrBetter sell a Dri-Ducks poncho mod for a weathershield if you don't want to make one. *Added "lifters" to my Warbonnet Winter Yeti UnderQuilt ..... *An inspirational speech *My camp on day one. *Morning talk and "Breakfast From The Hammock" POV *A peek at my friend Pizza's Warbonnet SuperFly Tarp with Doors. *And song to the JRB Old Rag Mountain Top Quilt *Morning report Day 2 *Packa as a wind block
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    BillyBob58: I didn't realize the Yeti was supposed to be that tight! That's how it was the first few times using it (actually putting slack in my RL), and come to think of it, I didn't have any problems.

I have a Winter Yeti, and it only got down to 30* while I was out there. I woke up this morning and saw 29* on my thermometer.

Shug: I have seen that video (more than once!), and now that I finally have some DIY gear (got grosgrain yesterday) I might be able to do that. I hope I don't have to. That stuff is earmarked for a 3S UQ.
    Be like Bob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JCINMA View Post
    BillyBob58: I didn't realize the Yeti was supposed to be that tight! That's how it was the first few times using it (actually putting slack in my RL), and come to think of it, I didn't have any problems.

I have a Winter Yeti, and it only got down to 30* while I was out there. I woke up this morning and saw 29* on my thermometer.
    Well you would not think there would be any suspension problems on a winter Yeti at a mere 30F. Although hard to say for certain, especially as the night goes on. If you decide to try it a lot tighter, you might want to avoid having the UQ undr you as you get in, just as a caution. If it is real tight, I lay down first and then pull the quilt under me from the foot end just to make sure I'm not stressing the fabric too much.

Again, you might want to try the guide line Brandon gave me: tight enough to raise your (obviously unoccupied ) hammock 2 or 3 feet in the middle. Another tip I just remembered: with the quilt laid out on the floor/bed, the suspension's adjustable toggle thingy(can't think right now what it is called) should be adjusted so that it is close to the quilt. IOW, the suspension adjusted length/circumference should be about the same as the circumference as the quilt. I think he told me this would still be enough slack and suspension length even for a 10 foot hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JCINMA View Post
    I'm using the Byer Amazonas Traveller hammock. It has a total length of 11 feet, so I lengthened the UQ suspension til the UQ would lift the empty hammock about 5 inches.
    I agree with BillyBob...this might be it.
    I use my winter yeti with a 12' hammock with the stock suspension...handles it just fine.

I'd recommend removing your extra 5" and trying again...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'it doesn't all have to rhyme, I'm not dr.Seuss'.....love it Shug!!!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    what i did on the winter yeti was remove the stock bungie and replace with a super serious thicker about 2x the diameter bungie.
    Remember the yeti is differential cut and you can snug it up super super tight and it will not compromise the loft because of that differential cut. TIGHTEN it up!
    Shugs idea with the clips is always Shugvillian brilliant....well i had thicker bungie here but no grossgrain, not thread injector.......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast