Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to buy first...

I have a hammock, it's a store bought style, but not a name brand as seen on here. It's made of 100% polyester, and presently works fine for my needs of lounging around in the summer while camping. The total hang time for me is likely to be somewhere in the range of 5 to 6 hours a year.

Attached are a couple of pictures. The stitching on the hammock seems strong enough, I have never had any issues with the hammock itself supporting my weight. Originally at the end of the hammock it was bunched together with a piece of rope and then an "S" hook was attached to that.

On my first attempt at hanging the hammock the "S" hook became and "I" hook and I ended up on the ground, they just weren't strong enough to hold my weight, and straightened right out.

I replaced the rope and hook on each end with a pair of locking biners that I had lying around the house.

I noticed people here are talking about 12' lengths of hammocks and mine is only 8' 10inches. Since I am 5'6 it works for me I suppose. I am just an overweight kid. I don't find the hammock uncomfortable, and of those 5 to 6 hours a year I get in it, I spend them sleeping.

I don't have the cash to buy a new hammock at the moment, I really can't afford to get into many expenses. I have been watching Shugs video's and will likely use a thermarest pad, and wool blanket under me and a sleeping bag over top of me for the single two night trip I have in June.

I suppose I wanted to know if there was anyone willing to suggest what I should buy first... what's a MUST have for a first time hammock camper? I am considering picking up a MacCat Deluxe and the required stakes, lines etc for that. I will also get myself the appropriate tree straps (when I figure out exactly what I need), and try to come up with some whoopie slings. I have been using an expandable tree strap with large metal hooks on the end.

Weight isn't a concern for me since I will not be hiking too and from a destination. The hammock always remains in place, and it's not a far walk from the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Well, since you seem to have a hammock, a pad as insulation and a sleeping bag the next thing to get is a tarp so you wonīt get wet when itīs raining.

If you have mosquitos you will also need a mosquitonet otherwise you wonīt get much sleep.

1. Tarp
    2. Mosquitonet

Thatīs what I think!
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    In your neck of the woods, I would think a bug net would be more helpful than a tarp. Still, tarps are great in case you get caught out in the rain or snow. You don't mention what you use for a top quilt, so I assume you have something to keep you warm. What else would anyone need? Warm, sleeping out under the trees, How are you fixed for stoves?

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Watch Shug's vidoes !

Will you be sleeping overnight in the hammock? How cold will it be?

Watch Shug's vidoes !

Do you want to sleep in the hammock in the rain? in the wind? in the snow?

Watch Shug's vidoes !

Most hammocks designs on this site are designed to be part of an overnight shelter and therefore make design "compromises" in order to reduce weight.

Watch Shug's vidoes !

The tarp is your shelter.

Watch Shug's vidoes !

The hammock makes for a more comfortable sleep.

Watch Shug's vidoes !

The sleep system [clothing and insulation] keeps you warm

Watch Shug's vidoes !
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Don't get me wrong MacCats are all very nice. Hope to own one myself one day. I'm just not sure your set up and usage might justify it though.

First, it doesn't sound like you're looking to upgrade the hammock atm. It works good for you. You don't have, or need the cash to do so. If it's working for you at present, don't fix what isn't broken.

Second, the actual demands on equipment and yourself, since it's pretty much car camping, and less than 48hrs per year, are fairly minimal from description.

I'd consider going with a cheaper tarp, even a Walmart or Harbor Freight special. This would also allow you some cash to further upgrade the suspension, play with an adjustable ridge line, without incurring too much additional cost.

However, if you are considering a hammock upgrade. Intend on becoming a bit more adventurous and/or frequent with your trips. Then a good lightweight tarp with sufficient coverage, is invaluable. Outside of a couple drip rings, the tarp is the only thing that differentiates even a Blackbird from a bathtub.

Oh! And watch Shug's videos

Wow.. a bug net never even crossed my mind. I don't get bothered by much, I however have never slept out in the open over night. I am sure even in the summer I will be the warmest thing on the menu for our annoying little friends.

I'd consider going with a cheaper tarp, even a Walmart or Harbor Freight special.
    I think you are probably right on this point I have a 8x10 standard blue tarp that will keep me dry if it rains... it will be super noisy but I could sleep with a bulldozer running right next to me.

Anyone know what options there are for bug netting? or should I just consider a new hammock that comes with certain upgrades included?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    There are several that I know of...

ENO...http://www.amazon.com/EAGLES-NEST-GU.../dp/B002KXV0BI

Warbonnet Outdoors (has great reviews here on the forum)....http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

PoppaSmurf also has them on his site....Bug Sock = http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...on/bugsock.php
    Open Bottom Net...http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...bottom-net.php

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Maybe you should watch Shug's videos

Also check to see if there are any other hangers in you area you get up with and check out their setup
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get or make some tree straps for sure.
    Since your just starting ...get a blue tarp from a Home Store and start with that. It will do fine and you can mess around.
    Just keep at it.
    Have fun.
    Be patient.
    Who is Shug?
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessey deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    UQ,SS,BP.
    Suspension
    Straps and rings

Call Tom

Hey if you are limited on cash like me (college student) Check out Hennessy Hammocks, Tom is the nicest business owner i have ever met, he has given me so many freebies with my orders it isn't funny. anyway depending on your weight you can get a hammock, rainfly, tree huggers, ridge line, snake skins, stuff sack, and bug net all in one unit for around $100. To me it is better to buy all the stuff at once as a beginner that way it all fits together like it should. check out hennessyhammocks.com to see all the things you get. Plus seeing as you are from Canada, and so is Tom Hennessy, you may get a better deal than me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast