Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images

Canvas

Great review, Mac. When will the canvas pictures be up on mollymacpack.com? "Could not be more better."

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Its a geographical argument.
    Just remember that if you want an economical and extremely lightweight method to prevent moisture from entering your downy goodness use a vapor barrier. Sac or suit
    doesn't matter-your moisture won't be going through the sil-nyl (if your vapor barrier is
    sil-nyl) and into your insulation. Inside your downy goodness and inside your VPL you'll be warm and damp...the only pain is in the morning when you climb out of that warm wetness and put on your hiking clothes. It can be a shock you'll never forget-damp and naked at 8F--but you'll get out of the VPL and into clothes quickly!
    The same lightweight economical approach has been used for a long time on the feet with bread sacks against skin and then the socks-same principle, the plastic bag prevents moisture from entering the socks/boots.
    If you live in the north country you'd def. have a lot of canvas items or even Ventille...in the south where as mentioned above below zero is rare, there is this optional approach using VPLs. It's up to each hiker/paddler/explorer of course to weigh
    the humidity, the temps at hand, how much you want to carry and make your decision.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Mac, thanks for the info. Personally I find breathable & highly wind resistant outer gear to be a necessity for cold winter outdoor comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    ...I've been eyeballing the anoraks and such from Empire Canvas.
    But I keep thinking about the weight. And how that stuff doesn't do double duty...
    Heavy weight may not be necessary except for durability, abrasion resistance. Have a very old & much used light "canvas" anorak. Not 100% cotton. Material is densely woven from a relatively fine thread. Very windproof and very breathable. Very soft feel. Zero waterproofing. A plus is the body moisture "wicks" to the outer surface and then freezes. Never feel wet unless temps are warm or after coming in from the cold. Key is wearing the proper base layer(s). Used from +12,000 ft in the mountains to here in midwest during the winters. Ski touring, X/C training, winter runs, snowshoeing. Just came in from a run wearing it. Bit faded & getting "thin" in some areas.

Maybe the people at ECW would consider a 3 or 6 oz weight canvas?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday View Post
    I returned from my second OKPIK week at the Northern Tier High Adventure Base in Ely, MN.

So....LONG LIVE CANVAS FOR EXTREME COLD AND DRY SNOW!
    Thank you for the collaborating evidence! Most of us don't see these conditions but as more and more forum members are surviving these trips, I'm all the more intrigued! It's great to learn from the experience of others.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Man
    Its a geographical argument.
    Au contraire. It's a temperature and humidity concern. If temps will be below 20*F, you can use breathable footwear and outerwear.

I understand the alternative to a completely breathable layered approach, but the idea of waking up warm and moist has no appeal for me!

I carry Tingley's 17" Rubber Overboots just in case there is a warmup... I would switch out the anorak for a lightweight poncho, if wet precipitation made that necessary. Otherwise, if the forecast shows no chance of temps above 25*F, I'll go with canvas.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-29-2011 at 21:12.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by book View Post
    Great review, Mac. When will the canvas pictures be up on mollymacpack.com?
    Soon!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Soon!
    Jeez Mac, If everyone is wearing Mukluks and Anoraks at the next Minnesota
    Winter Hang how are we going to know which one's you?

All kidding aside, enjoyed your info and looking forward to seeing your new goods on the website.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I really appreciate an engineer that can discuss technical topics w/o giving me a headache. Thanks for that.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Its a . Inside your downy goodness and inside your VPL you'll be warm and damp...the only pain is in the morning when you climb out of that warm wetness and put on your hiking clothes. It can be a shock you'll never forget-damp and naked at 8F--but you'll get out of the VPL and into clothes quickly!
    At the Minnesota Frozen Butt my sleep system included wearing my 24 oz wool pants and my Empire Canvas Works blanket shirt,both which were worn during the day, both which aloowed breathability. It was like sleeping w/a wool blanket. There was no need to wake up wet and get naked.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Jeez Mac, If everyone is wearing Mukluks and Anoraks at the next Minnesota Winter Hang how are we going to know which one's you?
    See my new hat below.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I really appreciate an engineer that can discuss technical topics w/o giving me a headache. Thanks for that.
    You are entyrely welcome, Dave! I bet you know more than most about temp and humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    ...no need to wake up wet and get naked.
    ...and it would have been dangerous, as well. Exposed skin was at risk!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-30-2011 at 09:59.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast