Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ

New Western Mass. Hanger

Hay all,

Ever since I decided that I want to hike the Taconic Crest Trail end to end (32+ miles) here in the Berkshires, I have been looking for something light weight and wouldn't take up much room on or in my pack.

I started looking at Eureka Tents and came across the Chrysalis and have been thinking about it for quite a while.

I also have a Camping trip planed at the end of February and decided that I dont want to have to shovel snow or lay on it eithor.

I came across Shug's vids and started to realize all the pros and cons of hammocking and decided that the Pros far outwaied the cons. I also learned of the Hammock Forums from him.

Well just a week before Christmas I ordered the Chrysalis and couldn't wait to get to try it out. I went out a few weeks later with a friend who likes winter camping and we decided that for my first attempt we would go to a lean-to up on the A.T. and use the Lean-to as a emergency back up if I needed it.

I hung it in some trees (and made sure to look all above to make sure that I didn't hang it under some possible problem trees (thanks suhg) and stood back to take a look at my new home for the night.

It took a little getting used to as I was not used to the swaying, but it took me no time to fall sound asleep.

I had a great first night in that hammock and cant wait to go back out again. I gained lots of incite for what is and what is not possible during winter camping with the Chrysalis and all the joys that could be had with a few more mods to it (1of 3 complete).

Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions (did lots of reading here) and hope to contribute as much as possible in the future.

I'm still wondering if an under quilt is going to be easily made and have a few ideas, but the JRB Mt. Washington looks like it might work on the Chrysalis. I hope to be able to save up some money so I can order one and see if it might work. Maybe if I won the lotto (fingers crossed), I could get it before my trip in February where I will be in long lake in NY for a weekend camping trip.

Gene G.

P.S. Thanks Shug for the videos and bringing me here, keep up the good work.

Images
    Yet another epiphany has occured, and another hammock hanger born!

There are plenty of DIY stuff on here for UQ. I took the easy way and got a JRB No Sniveler. Either was is great, as long as it helps you get out and enjoy!

Welcome to the forums. Looking forward to hear how your experience progresses. Don't forget to post a few pics now and again.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!
    You really got dumped on the other day! I love to camp out in the snow

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    You really got dumped on the other day! I love to camp out in the snow
    I was telling the wife and my neighbors that I wish I was out in the woods during it.

I would have woken up to it a good foot and a half of snow on the ground and had some great photo opps.

I know of one place that I want to go to on a ridge that over looks a swamp. In the spring the blue herrings have there nests in the trees in it and it would be great to sit there and be able to watch them all day from above and get some nice photos of them.

The great thing about hammocking is that I'm going to be able to be on the ridge all night long to see them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF!
    Terry

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey genegene .....glad you found us here!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Welcome to HF from another Berkshire native! Glad to see another local (We have a couple W. MA folks on here)! Greylock is one of my favorite places to hang, so if interested we could get together some weekend to give you a chance to check out other setups/ideas.
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis_Hiker View Post
    Welcome to HF from another Berkshire native! Glad to see another local (We have a couple W. MA folks on here)! Greylock is one of my favorite places to hang, so if interested we could get together some weekend to give you a chance to check out other setups/ideas.
    Thanks Otis,

I was hoping that there were others in the area, but didn't see any on the Google map.

I found a great place on the Becket/Washington line that if you are into winter camping I would love to have everyone come out to. There is a large Fire place and lots of trees to use near by. I claim the 2 trees closest to the fire place LOL

P.S. the person starting the fire is my friend who tagged along with me this weekend to test out some of his gear. He is a ground dweller that could never get into hammocking. He has tried it but didn't like it. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by genegene; 02-01-2011 at 10:58. Reason: Person in Pic

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    awesome another western mass hanger thought i was one of the few. I live in Hampden county, would love to do a 2 to 3 day hike out in the berkshires but have no idea where to start or park and shuttle to . almost have my gear fully ready just need to save up for a top quilt.
    Isn't Shug a plethora of information.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast