Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I got a nice little ChefMate digital scale from Target for $30. It is accurate to 0.05 ounces or 1 gram with a capacity of 3-4 pounds. If you have any single items in your pack that are heavier than that then you might need to consider other gear options.

To weigh down for my RMS Clone I put on a gallon zip loc bag and zeroed it out. Then stuck the bag down in the big box of down, filled the bag and reweighed. Each baffle to 1.5 ounces and that's about all you can get in a gallon zip loc.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Bringing this thread back from the dead.

The question has been raised about the accuracy of some of the scales for sale on Ebay. I own this scale. It is advertised with a .1 oz accuracy. My brother works in a testing lab and he brought me home 2 weights used to calibrate their scales in the lab. One weight was 200 grams and the other weight was 500 grams and both weights checked out perfectly on my scale. I also checked it with a nickel and that showed weighing 5 grams, right on the money.

I have to say that I was plesantly surprised that these cheapo Ebay scales were that accurate.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    As I remember from my college days the knickel trick was the quick way to see if scales were accurate and wether you were going to punch the guy or not, LOL!

Images
    yeah, speaking of, your friendly neighborhood head shop probably has some accurate scales too.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Take some weights into the local supermarket - in most (all?) states their checkout scales are checked periodically for accuracy by state inspectors. Don't remember offhand how far down they go though. Probably 0.1 lb. But if you took several weights, say 1 lb, 2 lb etc. you could check against the market's scales to see how the two corresponded. Just keep your thumb off the scale while checking

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345