WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Want To Borrow 1.1 Dbl Blackbird hammock

I recently got a 1.7 Dbl Blackbird with webbing suspension, and its great, but I've slept in it a couple of times, strung up in my house, and Its just not 100% comfortable for me.

This may be my actual setup, but I think its because its overkill for my weight, by about 200 pounds.

I was thinking of returning it to Brandon for an exchange, as its practically brand new, but thought if I could try one out then I would know for sure what I would want to do.

So I would like to try a 1.1 Dbl Blackbird, to compare alongside my 1.7 Dbl.

So I'm asking any Aussies for a huge favour, would someone be willing to lend me their 1.1 Dbl Blackbird, so I could compare the lay between the two?

I just string it up in my house, to keep the 'test' fair.

I'll pay for shipping, so I figured if I keep it in Aus, it will keep postage costs down. But if your overseas and think you can help, just PM me and we could work something out.

any help is much appreciated.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Not to discourage your experiment, but there should be no difference in the lay of the two models unless you're heavy enough to stretch the 1.1 in which case you would need the 1.7 anyway. If you're light, there shouldn't be a difference as you won't weight enough to stretch either fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey JCK, what do you mean by not 100% comfortable?

I can come over and give you a hand trying to sort out the problem if you like. If you haven't got your tarp guy lines sorted out yet we can work on them as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Also, Have you entered all the measurements of your setup into Dejoha's calculator to see how close you are to "the perfect lay"?

Dejoha's Calculator

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Hi JCK
    I'd have to agree with wisenber and say that the 1.7 double should be the same, if not even better than the 1.1 double lay. If your way under the max flatness rating for the 1.7 double there would be very little stretch in the material.

Brandon actually stuffed up and sent me a 1.7 double instead of the 1.0 double by mistake 1st time.

I didn't really notice much difference between the two, but honestly that was very early on in my hammock camping days.

I've got my 1.0 Double you could try if you wanted.

Let us know why it's not completely comfy for you and in what way.
    Might be something simple ??
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    best way I can describe it is that something feels "off"

So would I be right in saying that because I only weigh 160 pounds, and the 1.7 Dbl takes up to 375 pounds, I would get a flatter lay than I would in a 1.0 or 1.1 Dbl, even though I probably wouldn't stretch the fabric in those hammocks either. I'm not sure why, I just thought that

And I think, now that you guys told me, it is user error and the hammock itself is not involved. Thanks Wisenber and pigslayer for that bit of info.

I'd appreciate the help alot Rikall. I'm not in brisbane atm however, I am down the coast, But I could come up for the day, if you can let me know when your free that'd be great. My tarp hasn't come yet, will be about another week, but I am thinking of ordering some things from whoopieslings, like their ridgeline and some guylines, like you suggested. But I've also got 50 feet of dynaglide on its way to me from AHE, which from what I've read is 1.8mm diameter, so should be good for guylines and whatnot.

I completley forgot about Dejoha's calculator. I should use that next time I hang. I think also what could be causing my problem, is that my two tieup points aren't the best distance apart, or high enough, so basically not ideal for a hammock.

I'll try sort things out over the next week, and if I do end up meeting up with Rikall, I'm sure all my problems will be sorted out. That way I wouldn't have to borrow your hammock Pig.Slayer. Thanks for the generous offer though.

thanks for the input guys.

• + New Posts