Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Wow! Great write-up!
    Thanks for your attention to detail. I love my Exped Downmat 9 DLX and really should use it more often.
    thanks, you are most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jeremesh View Post
    I have the symnat 9 DLX and your writeup matches my experience exactly. The size of the mat fit perfectly in my clark NA and allowed for a flatter lie than you would normally get in the clark. It is heavy but for me, well worth the weight carried.
    yes, that's exactly what I think. It is the heaviest of my pads, but as I said, you get a lot in return
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Have you tried with less air? Seems it would fit the hammock shape a little bit better. Nice review.
    that's what I'm planning to do next, isolation will go down a bit though as per expeds info. You'd have to be careful with that since you cannot inflate it while in the hammock because you cannot fill it with your lungs like the thermarest. If it's too soft/cold, you will have to get out
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks Zyhan for a most informative and thorough review. I have considered getting one of these several times over the years. It certainly would be a wonderful thing to have with you if you were ever forced to ground, which can for sure happen.

I'm thinking that, at 3.5" thick, it will not fit in the pad pocket of a JRB BMBH? If so, that is a real shame! Because that hammock is a real thing of beauty to use with most pads, if you are going to use a pad anyway. ( Maybe it would fit if only 80-90% inflated?
    thanks billybob!

For the brief time I had a BMBH, I used my Exped DAM9 DLX with it without any problems fitting using about 60% inflation. That being said, it does raise the center-of-gravity and makes the BMBH a wee bit more tippy.
    That is a good observation, did not know how to word that, but indeed, the centre of gravity is raised and the hammock becomes a little less stable. nevertheless, I could sit up straight without problems, perhaps the DD frontline is a somewhat deeper hammock

Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    I have had bad experience with Exped 9 dlx synmat in cold (-7 C/19 F). My reasoning was that there is some air circulation and that mattress works as a thermal pump, moving warm air away from ones back every 5-10 minutes. It is shivering experience. And I myself did not move at all.

But I'm following Your test with great interest. Where are You going here in Finland?
    Can't speak about that one, but it is a different model. as alan stated, the down makes a world of difference probably. the R rating is significantly higher than the synmat.
    I'm going about 60 km north of rovaniemi airport, hope to see some northernlight
    google maps link: http://goo.gl/maps/TLyM

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Mine is the older "pre CPR inflation" stuff sack pump version and inflating has never been an issue.

I have not experienced a more comfortable pad for sleeping on the ground at any temperature and when slightly under-inflated, it works great in my HH Explorer UL. In fact, I like that it raises me out of the "cocoon" and gives me a better view of what's around.

I've never experienced a leak of failure of any kind but do carry the repair kit just in case. For me it's the best way to go in comfort in areas where I may have to go to ground or I am too concernd about rainy weather to feel good about my down UQ.
    preparation is key I am a littlebit concerned about rainy weahter and underquilts too... but I will probably try them somewhere in the future hehe

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremesh View Post
    Just curious because most of the folks that I have read about that use the Exped Mats, do not, or have not tried quilts.

Can you do some kind of comparison of the two?? When you use one over the other (you already mentioned wet weather worries about the quilt), etc.?
    I love the feeling of sleeping in a "cloud of down", (or warm synthetics), that can be experienced with an UQ. (I have a JRB Nest, Yeti, IX Jerry Chair 5 in 1, spare IX full length layers, and my son has a Snug Fit.)

I purchased my DAM about the same time I purchased a new tent a bit over 3 years ago (still has the tags on it since I'd rather hang), for those places that hanging would not be possible.

They are both pricey but well worth it. They are both warm and comfortable. The DAM is heavier and not my choice for backpacking in areas where there is no question about the availability of trees. It is however the way to go when I want the most options for camping in unfamiliar areas and great to toss in the tote when I go car camping.

I already mentioned the preference for the DAM in really wet weather (I'm talking several days of rain and mist not just an overnighter with clouds in the forecast.)

Bottom line:

If I know the area and am backpacking, UQ is the way to go.

If the area is unfamiliar and there is a fairly high probability of going to ground, the DAM is my choice.

It's also great when sleeping on the floor for youth events when a hammock is not practical.

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Thanks, that helps me understand a bit better. I'm sure I will get and try an underquilt at some point but for now, I like my exped.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

No significant difference

I'll bet there's a significant difference between your synmat and the downmat he tested. I think that down makes a WORLD of difference.
    R-Value is not always accurate in hammock use. My 14 mm (0,55 inch) CCF is way warmer than my Exped pad with R-value 6. Exped Downmat has got R-Value 8. Thickness of Downmat and Synmat is the same.

But my 'super warm in use' CCF has R-value only about 2,4. Much lower than SynMat and even more lower than Downmat. So there is something fishy going on, and I all ready wrote my opinion about it. I have big doubt that down pad with R value 8 is WAY or WORLD better than synthetic fiber pad with R value 6. Of course I may be wrong.

But before proven wrong I'll keep using my CCF in cold environments. No harm done, I just keep wondering... if I should buy down version of my Synmat to test it out.

Hopefully zyhanos trip report will bring some light to me. Good hangings for zyhano and lots of Northern lights!

(and very cold weather sky will be clear and Northern lights are more probable)
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-31-2011 at 14:24.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Interesting observations, that's for sure! Time to break out my Exped Downmat 9 DLX and do some testing this week. We're getting a bit of a cold snap the next few days. Lows of about 28*F or so in my neck of the woods.

Images
    R-Value is not always accurate in hammock use. My 14 mm (0,55 inch) CCF is way warmer than my Exped pad with R-value 6. Exped Downmat has got R-Value 8. Thickness of Downmat and Synmat is the same.

But my 'super warm in use' CCF has R-value only about 2,4. Much lower than SynMat and even more lower than Downmat. So there is something fishy going on, and I all ready wrote my opinion about it. I have big doubt that down pad with R value 8 is WAY or WORLD better than synthetic fiber pad with R value 6. Of course I may be wrong.

But before proven wrong I'll keep using my CCF in cold environments. No harm done, I just keep wondering... if I should buy down version of my Synmat to test it out.

Hopefully zyhanos trip report will bring some light to me. Good hangings for zyhano and lots of Northern lights!

(and very cold weather sky will be clear and Northern lights are more probable)
    Wow, hard to figure what accounts for field experience vs the raw numbers. But, that is actually how it is sometimes. It is astounding that you would find your 2.4 value pad way warmer ( or even AS warm) as your R6 rated pad. Again, WOW!

But that is the reason for safe testing before you hit the trail. Find out what actually works for you.

Hammock
    HH expedition asym wih zipper
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG -15F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    For those who wanna know, I've slept in -43'C here in sept-Iles, and the 9dlx was a bit cold so I've put my CCF under the DLX and slept very well in my tent with only a -12'C Raven down sleeping bag from mec.ca...

I also had my candle light with to kill moisture...

The downmat is in conclusion is the best mat I know. But to be sure, at -30'C and lower add a CCF and a better sleeping bag like a -20'C and lower.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Asym + J'R'B BMBH
    Tarp
    HH Hex fly
    Insulation
    Various kinds
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Great post! Bin thinking of getting one for my hammock for the colder seasons, early spring, late fall etc.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

This post caught my attention. I have been thinking about R-value of sleeping pads vs.UQs alot lately (you spend a lot of time in your hammock when winter camping).

I haven't done any real experiments [i.e haven't measured temps]....just using different combinations of air pad, ccf pad, and UQs and thinking for an explanation of what I observed.

IMO it takes a longer time to feel warm under me when the airpad is the top layer as opposed to the CCF pad as the top layer or as opposed to no pads.

IMO, in the morning all pad/UQ combinations felt equally warm [tried to do this at constant ambient temps].

I think what happens is that all the air in the air pad needs to reach its final equilibrium temperature before the air pad provides its full R-value. Similar to your heat pump concept.

Where as the UQ and CCF pads warm up quicker, from the inside out, and more uniformly.

I do think that once the airpad has "stabilized" it does its job and does add to the total insulation value of the system.

My present strategy is to use a CCF pad for the structure it provides and an UQ. The air pad is brought as a pre-caution in the winter in case I have to go to ground.

That's my 0.02.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by siik View Post
    For those who wanna know, I've slept in -43'C here in sept-Iles, and the 9dlx was a bit cold so I've put my CCF under the DLX and slept very well in my tent with only a -12'C Raven down sleeping bag from mec.ca...

I also had my candle light with to kill moisture...

The downmat is in conclusion is the best mat I know. But to be sure, at -30'C and lower add a CCF and a better sleeping bag like a -20'C and lower.
    "Tent" is the key word here. When in tent ground is much warmer than ambient temperature -43 C. And once ground gets near to 0 C, as it usually gets, there is not as big temperature difference as there is in hammock.

And the other thing that did catch my attention is that when You put CCF under air pad and it helps to keep air-pad with R value 8,0 warmer there must be some convection eg. thermal pump in work.

And I must say my best experience in tent sleeping was last autumn when we had two Exped 9 dlx pump synmats in our small tent. It was freezing at nights, but the inside of the tent was totally dry after night, it has not happen ever before. I think that pads were so good that the air inside tent was kept abnormally warm and so there was good airflow and no condensation at all. In other words all our body heat was used for ventilation not to warm ground. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I think what happens is that all the air in the air pad needs to reach its final equilibrium temperature before the air pad provides its full R-value. Similar to your heat pump concept.

Where as the UQ and CCF pads warm up quicker, from the inside out, and more uniformly.

I do think that once the airpad has "stabilized" it does its job and does add to the total insulation value of the system.
    The difference is that it is possible that air-pad does not reach equilibrium in hammock. When the down side of the pad is at for example -8 C and also some other parts, in my case left foot corner was fully exposed to ambient temperature, and if air in those areas gets colder as fast as the air under sleeper warms then there will not be fully warm pad. And after that if there is even minimal air flow between different areas of the air pad the sleepers back gets cold. (And that air flow in my case was not due to my movement, I sleep completely stationary in hammock.)

IMHO the only way to see if there is real difference in air flow and convection between Synmat and Downmat is to test both in same temperature and wind conditions.

Good reason to me to buy Exped 9 dlx pump downmat

But I will wait the report from zyhano before I make my move.
    Last edited by voivalin; 02-08-2011 at 15:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast