Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Nano7 with JRB Underquilt - Tips for good fit?

I've got a JRB No Sniveler and recently got a Nano7 hammock for Christmas. I love the Nano7 and can get a good diagonal lay in it.

However, I seem to have trouble getting my underquilt to fit snug. Previosuly I used it on an ENO DoubleNest and it fit great (I know, going from real big to a small hammock). I tried shortening up the shock cord on each end to tie the underquilt with more tension. It looked like a good fit, but sleeping in 50 degree weather I would get cold spots every time the wind blew.

It looked a little like the edges of the underquilt were loose on the sides which was letting the breeze catch as I lay diagonal. Both ends were cinched pretty tight. I plan to try shortening the shock cord ties even more to get more tension, but don't want it so tight that I loose loft underneath.

Any tips or suggestions from those that use an underquilt with a Nano7? Perhaps I just need more fiddling having only slept all night in it once.

I have a Nano but use a Crowsnest (Phoenix) and have many nights spent in it, and each time the set-up had to be tweaked as the height/distance of hang changes every time! I put a ridgeline on it, which took another many night spent tweaking to get it right but once I got that set it made getting the UQ fit much easier as I was able to tweak it each time till I found the right tension on the shock cord and the right width on the ends of the quilt which I found for me at least was the problem child! I kept having gaps on one of the corners and every time I adjusted one right another corner was messed up!
    In short, it took a bunch of nights fiddling with it to get it right (and still I have nights where I screw it up somehow and get a draft), keep at it and you will get it!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My DIY Winter hammock is the same size as the Nano and i'm using a JRB MW4
    on it...what i did was made the shock cords at the ends shorter (i see you did do that) and it fits nice ...just got to play around with it

don't forget the Nano is a short hammock ... it's only 9 feet long
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll fiddle with it and try to close up those air gaps. Must be near my feet somewhere. Perhaps I can mount the camera on a timer and get some shots to analyze it. Glad to hear it just takes tweaking and doesn't require any drastic modifications!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I havde a Nano-7 and a No Sniveler. I have an additional shock cord on each end that goes over my ridge line and is adjustable. I have another length of shock cord running from one of the No Sniveler tie outs diagonally over the ridge line to one of the other tie outs. I can set it up when I get home today and take some photos if you like. It works great for me. I have slept warm down to 16º with no cold spots.

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That would be great if you could send a picture of the additional shock cord setup. I have added whoopie slings to each end as well as a structural ridge line, so it sounds like a similar setup.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pics are not that good. They ends use shock cord to accomplish the same thing that the triangle thingies do. The center shock cord helps keep the center of the quilt in position.
    IMG_0467.jpgIMG_0466.jpgIMG_0469.jpg

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for posting the pictures southmark, that gives me some other things to try.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glassymountain View Post
    I've got a JRB No Sniveler and recently got a Nano7 hammock for Christmas. I love the Nano7 and can get a good diagonal lay in it.

However, I seem to have trouble getting my underquilt to fit snug. Previosuly I used it on an ENO DoubleNest and it fit great (I know, going from real big to a small hammock). I tried shortening up the shock cord on each end to tie the underquilt with more tension. It looked like a good fit, but sleeping in 50 degree weather I would get cold spots every time the wind blew.

It looked a little like the edges of the underquilt were loose on the sides which was letting the breeze catch as I lay diagonal. Both ends were cinched pretty tight. I plan to try shortening the shock cord ties even more to get more tension, but don't want it so tight that I loose loft underneath.

Any tips or suggestions from those that use an underquilt with a Nano7? Perhaps I just need more fiddling having only slept all night in it once.
    Does your JRB have the center draw cord modification? That can help snug up the foot end a bit. Since the Nano and JRB quilt are about the same width, you may encounter some issues keeping a snug fit as there is little room for error. You probably do not need to literally shorten the suspension by adding more loops to the kit that they supply. Playing around with the draw cords could also yield an end to air leaks.

Another option could be to add a ridgeline to the hammock. With a ridgleline you could take a couple of clips and attach them to the NS in the middle of the sides and drape some shock cord over the ridgeline to lend some support in the middle and provide a better fit. With the UQ and hammock being about the same width, the center (which would normally seal with excess hammock fabric) has less force holding it in place than the ends.
    Last edited by wisenber; 02-03-2011 at 23:51.

• + New Posts